Welcome to the Jets, Mike Williams!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like the big difference in the 2 situations is it felt like EDGE was set for the next few years when we took McDonald. We had JFM, Huff, Lawson, & JJ (could even throw Clemons in there too).

At OT, we’ve got 2 starters on 1 year deals that are both 33 this year and 2 young backups that have been bad to meh so far.

I’m not saying they have to draft an OT at 10, but if they’re on the clock and their top prospect available is one of the OTs, I’d have no issue with using the pick on them. Gives us injury insurance for either Smith or Moses and another potential building block for the OL to go with Tipp and AVT going forward.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

A trade down makes a ton of sense now. No more glaring holes on the roster, except for maybe S?

Trade back and let the board fall to you, JD.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's just it, he's not just going to be a backup. He would definitely see action this year, perhaps a lot of action, and then would hopefully be our starter for the next 10-15 years.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Let's go! Still need to fill some spots but if this team stays healthy we will be good.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree. I would be very okay with an OL but the people who discredit the WR/Bowers pick are silly. Mike Williams is a 1 year deal. Lazard is gone next year. We are back to having no weapons again. The weapon is an immediate help right now.

Best scenario is trading down though IMO.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We didn't let him leave the building!!! Gotta give it to JD - I thought Corey Davis was the best he could have done and didn't like it when he relinquished his rights. But Mike, even off torn ACL, should be an upgrade.

Mike's surgery was on Oct 25. 9 months from that day conservatively he should be cleared for contact and practice with the team. That puts him at July 25th. That's about the time training camp starts. He will of course need to ramp up, but might even play some in preseason. Should be able to just make it to Game 1 as a starter. This was a huge move. Even off torn ACL.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The thing is, we're still speculating that a rookie OT would see playing time. He could, sure. I could even say he probably will. But can I say he'll probably play 10+ games, enough to justify using #10 overall on him? Absolutely not. And if he sees very little playing time, which is absolutely a possibility, then it's a completely wasted pick.

Bowers would immediately be our best TE and start every game barring injury.

A WR would immediately be our 2nd or 3rd best WR and start every game barring injury.

9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Hahaha we just did that last year. They selected a backup to one of our rare position of strength.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this is what All In looks like…we have an old QB, two older/injury risk tackles, and an injured WR…if all three stay relatively healthy, our offense should be cooking

If one or more of them get hurt, it’ll be rough

But I love the move because now we can let the draft come to us…we can stay put at 10 and take an OT or a WR, or we can maybe trade back to gain more picks and just take an OT/WR later in the round…maybe there’s a QB out there that someone would want to trade up for

Opens up a lot of flexibility

the one year deals for both Smith and Williams mean no future cap issues, but also mean we’ll have to deal with those positions in one way or another next year

But man, this has been a very nice job of filling gaping wide fucking holes with players who can be very good…at the risk of injury…likely they don’t all stay healthy all year, but hard to have imagined a better offseason honestly

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Our guys laugh at ligament tears. THEY LAUGH. Soft tissue injuries can't bring down the Jets. That's where complete lack of direction and competence from leadership come in.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I 100% agree, because I think if you trade down you could get quality players at both spots (OT & WR) in this year’s draft with your first 2 picks.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good signing, depending on the actual contract.

Now go out and start drafting our o-line.

mezzavo, Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Next up...

Brock Bowers.

Please.

Sent from my genius mind.

15. NCJetsfan

I hear what you're saying. Believe me, I wish that the Jets could get one of Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Harrison and Thomas. If JD hadn't done such a bad job with fixing the OL and/or if the Jets had better luck with injuries, we could have.

Smith only played 13 games last season, but that was the most he had played since 2019. The last time he played every game was in 2015. Since then, he has played 13, 13, 13, 13, 2, 11, 4, and 13. Even if you throw out the two seasons where he only played 2 and 4 games, he's still liable to play no more than 13, and he could suffer a serious injury just like he did in one of those two seasons where he played 2 and 4 games. Would you really want Warren or Mitchell starting at LT for the last 4 games of the season where the playoffs were on the line, or perhaps even worse, we already had a playoff berth pretty much assured, only to see it go down the tubes due to horrible play at LT? We know how the Jets' luck is with OL injuries. While we're due some better luck, we can't count on that, and the turf that has caused so many injuries is still there. Moses has mostly been healthy and played every game but missed 3 games last season due to the shoulder injury. If he has surgery, he may not be ready to play for a while, and if he doesn't have surgery, he may struggle all season. The Jets would be taking a HUGE risk to take a WR at #10 and not try to secure a starting OT. I believe that most of the fanbase and media would absolutely crucify JD if he took a WR in the 1st round.

16. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Yeah you can. He was likely here in Jersey so that could have well been a Jersey Taylor ham, egg and cheese spk. ;)

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

You're not the only one. I can't believe I'm back following every move and getting excited for the season. What a sucker I am!

mezzavo, nycarl, AG3 and 3 others like this.
  18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

How would you feel about trading back into the late teens and getting a sliding Cooper DeJean and playing him at S?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

In classic Jets fashion we are WINNING the offseason. And it feels good.

Much better than it'll feel when Zach Wilson somehow trots onto the field early next season to take over with all the marbles riding on him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell me what this sandwich thing is all about?

Sent from my genius mind.