2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jets are getting played (again).

Boyd is a Pittsburgh kid his whole life. He wants to play there but his agent is using the Jets to drive up the cost.

Nyjets4eva, KY Jets Fan and abyzmul like this.
  2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Show me the contract #'s before I'm liking Boyd.

Generally speaking people need to scale back the amount of evaluation stock they default into placing on the comparative surface stats these middling type WR put up. There is a lot of guys in the league (and in the draft) not getting the same opportunity a 29yo Boyd is that can give you the same production if/when you give them the same 100 targets and a decent QB to throw them the ball.

The WR market outside the truly elite guys is on a path that is going to see the same type of over-correction the running backs did.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That sounds spot on to me... If he's seriously considering the Jets, I would imagine his Jets price tag is higher than the Steelers or Chiefs anyway

Curtis Samuel anyone?

4. Kronoking

So they trade Diontae away for peanuts just to turn around and pay out more on an older guy who looked to have lost a step last year?

I guess that fits my projection narrative that we are likely a year a way from having the save surrounding general conversation on Tomlin that needed to be had on Bill B this past winter. Great head coach and leader...but maybe somebody who at this point needs to ideally be distanced from the decision making process on the offensive side of the ball.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I've said it here before but now that the market has dried up...

I know we signed Tyrod, and I'm happy about that sure... but...

Are we gonna trade a late round pick for Fields or just continue to be a dumb AF team?

Sent from my genius mind.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

The Browns signed Quinton Jefferson. Curious what the financials were. He was a solid pass-rusher though I'm guessing they wanted linemen who can play the run better.

DTs are getting PAID. Sheldon Rankins got $13mil/yr. The Kinlaw contract still seems but this does give it more perspectives

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Would have much preffered Jefferson back assuming he's making less than $7 mil. Honestly even if he's making $7 mil I would have rather had him back than Kinlaw. We know Jefferson plays well in this defense.

And the Rankins thing got me thinking about how good Saleh actually is at coaching the D line and how friendly his system is. He churns out DL at every position.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its too perfect of a move. Fields with Tyrod as his backup/mentor is ideal. The Vice President is on drugs somewhere and unreliable for next season and beyond.

If he shows up, cool, if not fuck em we roll with Fields and Tyrod

NYJalltheway likes this.
  9. Kronoking

The money wouldn't work now with 3 QBs already on the books.

That said you won't find a guy on this board that is higher on Fields' potential, if put in a good developmental situation, then I am. But *WE* are the exact opposite of a good development situation lol. Fields would be a complete waste of both our time/resources and what shot he has left of getting his career as a starter moving in the right direction.

NCJetsfan and NYJalltheway like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

Which is why I'm keeping on open mind on Kinlaw. Jefferson was good and I would have liked him back though Kinlaw is younger and still has tons of upside. Though if he actually ends up having a great season he's going to be too expensive to retain next year anyway. Probably should have gone with a 2yr. deal with very little guarantees in the 2nd year

11. BroadwayAaron

There's a serious hurdle in trading for Fields and it's probably why there is no interest in him: he's got an option for $25 mil that becomes guaranteed on May 2nd. So either you give up draft capital and he walks, give up draft capital and totally fuck yourself in 2025 or give up draft capital and hope that you can pull a Jordan Love and get him to sign a deal for 2025 for backup money. And if Rodgers is serious about playing out his contract (which I doubt he actually will) you're not going to get Fields to agree to that.

Also, Fields sucks. We're not missing out on anything by not trading for him other than throwing a dart, except the dart board is unbelievably tiny when you look at the big picture.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think NC is generally one of the better analysts on this message board. Yes, I know he likes Zach Wilson, and the rest of us know Zach Wilson stinks. But it wasn't NC's fault the jets drafted Zach, nor was it Zach's. It was Joe Douglas.
    Douglas should have noticed what the rest of the world did in that Zach had only 1 good year in college against a cream puff schedule. Douglas did the same stupid thing that MacCagnan did and made a QB decision (Hackenberg) on a pro day workout when Zach threw to a receiver w no defense on the field. I may be in the minority, but I think/hope Joe Douglas should be fired after this season! 3 wasted first round picks in Becton, Zach, and McDonald. Terrible free agent signings for big $$ with Uzomah, Lazard, Tomlinson, Cook, and Brown, just to name a few. And if takes TE Bowers at 10 in 2024 , he should be fired in the middle of the draft because we got 4 tight ends now! It WOULD be just like Douglas to take Bowers, since he took edge rusher McDonald last year when we already had tons of edge rushers at the time. Dumb shit!

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In hindsight that seems pretty clear, but at the time, most people - and apparently Douglas - believed they needed a young QB to build their offense around. The only problem with that is they got the first part - drafting a young QB - while completely neglecting to do the second part. SOJ.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

It's obvious that you don't understand how negative circumstances can create a "snowball effect" for people, especially athletes. The "yips" is an actual thing. But given you don't even grasp that I won't waste any more time detailing how the Jets created that negative situation. But instead of venting your anger at Zach - or even posters like me who have tried to point out some of these very real issues with the Jets QB development - why don't you aim it at the Jets? After all, they're the ones who haven't been able to find and develop a QB for decades.

NCJetsfan and Kronoking like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

You're trying to conflate Wilson with failed QBs of the past. We failed Darnold, we failed Sanchez, we borderline failed Geno... Wilson failed us. He didn't handle any outside noise well and he never got better. We didn't help but he also didn't help himself at all. Wilson is one of the rare cases of the Jets not being the fuckups outside of drafting him 2nd overall (which I also wanted for the record).

Ralebird and SackRecord99 like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

So you're saying that a "good developmental system" matters relative to QB performance? Huh. Reading the comments on this board, who'd a thunk it? According the the QB "gurus" here, QBs are just spit out of their momma's womb ready to go, or they're never going to be any good.

17. ColoradoContrails

The part I bolded just underscores your close mindedness about Zach. In fact, he did improve, even in terms of how he handled the media and the "outside noise" this past year, The fact that you and the rest of the Zach haters don't recognize that just erases any credibility you have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Ah yes, his maturity level shined through when he refused to play games because he was hurt and then leaked a bunch of shit to Russini. Can't believe I didn't notice.

The irony in you thinking you had a "gotcha" moment then responding with something completely false that outs you as a fanboy is not lost on me.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Do you have actual proof of this? And if he was hurt, why would he - or anyone - agree to play?

What "gotcha" moment? I was simply pointing out the obvious: according to his stats, as well as watching him actually play, he was better this year. If you can't agree with that, I don't need to waste any more time discussing this with you.

20. BroadwayAaron

I promise that you don't need to waste any time discussing this, no one does, Wilson was an abject failure and there's no reason to pretend otherwise because he's a non-factor for our favorite team.