Welcome back to the Jets, Morgan Moses!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I see your point, and don't disagree its a good move - but its overshadowed by the litany of missed opportunities, miscalculations, failure to retain high end talent you cultivated and BAD contracts that put him in a position to have to burn draft capital in a reactionary measure to fix what just feels like the same mistake over an over... And yes, I know its not the same mistake - it just constantly feels like that...

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I will give him credit when I see Moses staying healthy and playing at a high level, and not until then.

ColoradoContrails and mezzavo like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not saying JD is great, but out of 15 all time NY Jets GMs, I am quite certain 12 of them would have screwed up both the Adams trade and both of those first two draft picks, along with everything else.

azhar80, Skicats, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

From what I read he played LT last year and primarily LG in the past, where he had success. Don't see any history of playing RT.

And where do you see Jonah Williams best year was last? I've seen his better years were in previous ones at LT

5. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

So isn't Moses a RT? Wouldn't really need a starting RT then, I would think. I was hoping to draft Fuaga, as (for what it's worth I have a good feeling about him) but he is a RT as well. Not sure if that is a deal breaker for drafting him at this point.

6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Tough board, or uninformed?

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I hear you but what I feel like you're really saying is that, time will tell if it's a great move. He essentially traded a 5th round pick for a quality RT. That by itself is a good move IMO.

Not only is Moses a legit starting RT, he's played in 16, 17, 17, and 14 games over the last 4 years and was PFF's 11th rated OT last year, and yes that's all OTs not just RTs.

It's an objectively good move that can be a great move if Moses stays healthy and continues to perform as he has over the last few years.

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan, mezzavo and 4 others like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I was responding to another poster who suggested the Jets should have signed a RT in free agency rather than give up draft capital for Morgan Moses.

I don't think Moses precludes them from drafting Fuaga since he's 33 although he has been durable and a reliably good starter. Though drafting Fuaga now would likely mean their 1st round pick would be depth in his rookie year - not bad given what happened last year and thinking of the future of the OL - but with this being a win now team I would think they might want to go in a different direction at 10

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Most of this is fair, JD's had his fair share of mistakes which have put us in the position we're currently in.

But why are we burying him for using the equivalent of a 5th round pick to get us a quality RT?

Borat likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I generally feel like this board is well-informed which is why I'm genuinely confused at the outrage on the Tyrod deal and the Moses trade.

The things most of us have been complaining about for the last few months (backup QB and OL) have been upgraded and some are still upset about it. I don't get it.

mezzavo and NOVAJET like this.
  11. Mehl-56

Well - this one can be filed under missed opportunities I suppose - considering he burned draft capital for a guy who should have been retained in the first place. And, it just feels like more of the same - reactionary to fix a blunder. More blunders than positives, fed up fan base, etc. You can probably pick one and sadly find a group here that feel the same for any one of those choices....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. One good year out of Moses is probably more than what you'd get out of a 6th rounder. I don't have it in me to complain about that.

2. Moses had to want to re-sign in order for him to have re-signed. You don't know that that's the case.

joelip and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. Mehl-56

We can isolate every move and delve into the who wanted to stay or go and the good and bad decisions, but when does our owner begin to hold him accountable for the the bad decisions that are outweighing one trade and draft many seem to have hitched the Douglas bandwagon to as his loan shining moment... its like year 5 or 6 now of different GM/Front Office, same show as the last one...

14. BroadwayAaron

You were talking about something specific so I responded to that specific thing.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

And I get all that but it's also fine to call a good move a good move.

Again, getting a starting RT for the equivalent of a 5th round pick is just an objectively good move.

NCJetsfan and joelip like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

And "equivalent of a pick" is something theoretical. What we actually gave up is a 6th round pick. I'm not going to sit here and validate the opinion of anyone that thinks moving down in the 4th round is make or break, it's just not reality. So like I said above, a 6th for one good year of a RT is better than what you're likely to get with that 6th.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you mean 'subjectively' a good move.

"good move" is always going to be a matter of opinion.

The Ravens cleared some cap space, got a high 4th round pick, and opened a spot for a young player over a declining vet. Subjectively a good move for them

18. BroadwayAaron

Why do you keep saying declining? Not that PFF is the be all end all by any means but he had a big jump when he went to the Ravens and stayed there last year. He's given up the same amount of sacks the last three years.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he found the fountain of youth! first guy to ever get better as he got older, fatter and slower. OK if its what PFF says then it must be true

20. BroadwayAaron

Meanwhile: