Welcome to the Jets, Tyrod Taylor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Ok, fair enough for now.

But until then I will say this all is having the same eerily similar to "only the Jets" feel that last year did:

Heading into 2023 offseason: Everybody in the organization from Woody down to towel boy is 100% bought in on the concept that Zach Wilson can absolutely not end being the 2023 starting QB here. We sign a declining soon to be 40yo QB and that suddenly morphs into "This is without question Zach's team in the event Rodgers down, and him sitting behind a 40yo Rodgers is a GOOD thing". Old QB in decline surrounding concern?. No silly, that was clearly just due to injury and nothing to worry about there! Zach isn't even likely to play!"

Heading into 2024 Offseason: Everybody in the organization from Woody down to towel boy is 100% bought in on the concept that we NEED a better and more reliable backup QB. Rodgers, now 2 years removed from that Not-a-decline-season dammit, is coming back for round 2 after going down to injury 4 plays into the previous season. A now even older QB in decline surrounding concern? No silly, just another year and another injury, but still nothing to worry about there!" So we go out and bring in one of the oldest and most injury prone options on the board to sit behind him.

Color me extremely skeptical anybody making the "it doesn't matter anyway if Rodgers goes down" is still feeling that way mid season if/when it happens. It's a long season and most fans love their football. If you watch the games it will always matter.

#61 Kronoking, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So, you were okay blowing up the season last year when Rodgers went down instead of employing a competent backup?

3. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Season was over as soon as rodgers went down. Would not have mattered the backup. Have you seen Hackett? Money should have been spent on oline or WR. Go all in with Rodgers.

cval likes this.
  4. Ralebird

The game is always over in the first quarter for some.

5. Ralebird

The Jets went "all in" with Rodgers last year - great plan! Now you advocate doing it again; how long are you going to play the same tune? Two more years? Four? Who is Rodgers today? Who was he last year? Keep loading all your eggs into a single basket when you have no idea if it even has a bottom.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is the bottom line here. Look, I think we all know Tyrod at this stage of his career cannot last a whole season. But he could last half the season, even majority of the season, possibly including being healthy at the end of regular season if we make play-offs. This is exactly what happened last year and in several recent years as well. For the Giants he played for 3 games, got hurt against us, missed 6 games, then played 4 more. So, if Rodgers does have to miss say 4-6 games total this season due to various injuries, can Tyrod come in and do well in these games? I think he has proven that he can.

If Rodgers has to miss all year, then I agree, Tyrod may not be enough. Which is why we will probably need a 3d QB, who might play a few games as well. But Tyrod is a good player, and in the most realistic scenario where Rodgers has to miss a bunch of games, but not the whole year again, he can deliver the goods. That's worth 6 mil signing.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We should all have seen it coming when the Jets realized that they needed a backup QB. Actually expecting this franchise to string together two correct decisions in a row, realizing that they needed a backup and then actually going out and making a move that would make a real impact at that position, was clearly to much to ask from this organization.

But, hey, we've got Super Bowl Sunday.... I mean the uniform reveal coming up next month. All downhill from there.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Gonna be a lot of cliff jumping by fans this year to end their pain in general.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Still waiting to see the exact details on that Tyrod contract, but as our available cap room now evaporates away a 28yo Mason Rudolph at 1/$3.65m is another cheaper lottery ticket upside flyer I would of preferred to see us taken a stab on over paying out $9m/per for Tyrod Taylor.

Tyler Hunter and Josh Dobbs are younger and interesting guys still sitting out there too.

#69 Kronoking, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Of the $18M, it's $6M salary 1st year, $8M guaranteed with $6M in incentives based upon playing time, So if Rodgers stays healthy looks like $2 years $12M
    Not confirmed yet of course

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to knock the Jets on Tyrod as he is serviceable much moreso than scrubby Zach Wilson.

But the Jets never look at the long game. I agree they could've had younger, cheaper options like Rudolph or Dobbs most likely, squarely in their primes and potentially as a long term solution after Rodgers hangs it up.

Again Taylor is a decent backup so can't knock him except for the wear on his body/injury risk. There are so many moves where you have to wonder what Joe Douglas is or isn't thinking because damn he misses badly and often. Nothing he does looks like a potentially brilliant move. He's very mediocre across the board.

We are completely hamstrung by the piss poor/uninspiring decisions of our GM. It's beyond frustrating and the door can't hit him in the ass soon enough.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Giants allowed him to leave. It seems their QB situation is a bit shaky right now?

He's a solid signing.I would've been ok with bringing back Siemien to me it looked like he was doing the job down the stretch run last season and he would've had some time in the system going into 2024 but when the owner acts like a dumbass and says the team didn't have a backup QB in 2023 that's a dead gibeway he was never a real 2024 backup QB option for the Jets.

I hope Tyrod Taylor never sees the field ina real game unless it's a blowout type situation.