Welcome to the Jets, Tyrod Taylor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Mar 11, 2024.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We signed one of the better back up QBs in the league to a 5-6M AAV deal and people are still upset??

What did everyone think? They were gonna sign Joe Burrow to back up Rodgers?

Yeah, Tyrod has some injury concerns so they should use a Day 3 pick on a developmental QB. I would've suggested that regardless of who they signed as the back up though because our starter is 40 and will turn 41 during the season.

I'm very confused by this Tyrod outrage.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rodgers' body didn't "give out" on him last season. That's not only wrong, but ridiculous! He got injured. That's different than his body giving out on him. If you don't think Taylor is one of the better backup QBs in the NFL, then you don't half as much as you think you do. He's older and injury-prone, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he plays well most of the time when he plays. Your negativity really is over the top.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't think he plays well. I think he's below average, even for a backup, because he plays scared, and isn't capable of beating a good team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

We don't know how many QBs JD may have contacted and been told they had zero interest in playing for the Jets. We also don't know if Rodgers has any say in who his backup might be. I'm as down on JD as anyone, but some of the comments I'm seeing are simply ridiculously over the top negative just to be negative.

dmw likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I disagree.

NOVAJET likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Taylor was outplayed by rookie UDFA Tommy Devito last season. If we are serious about making the playoffs we could have done much better.

7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Taylor was the QB that led the Bills out of their lengthy playoff drought (17 years?).......maybe he can be the good luck charm to help the Jets with their's. :D

Ironically, Jets have knocked him out for the year twice in his career. Back in 2018 when he was the starter for the Browns (Baker comes in and lights us up) and again last year against the Giants (man, what a shit game that was).

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's why they called him FitzMAGIC. He was magically great or magically terrible. You never knew what you were gonna get. LOL

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Taylor was benched that season for Nathan Peterman, who was so bad they had to go back to Taylor. In the playoffs he had a 42 QBR.

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I didn't say I want Taylor to actually play......

Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You don't know that we could have done much better. Now if JD didn't even contact Brissett's or Minshew's agent, then I agree with you, but if he did and was flat out told not to waste any time or energy that they had zero interest in playing for the Jets, then I disagree. Devito is young and promising, but doesn't have a lot of experience. With the Jets supposedly going all in, they wanted a veteran with experience that could handle the pressure of playing in NY and possibly playing in the playoffs. Mariota has had a disappointing career. When he was in the draft, I really liked him and his potential. Not any longer. IMO the only thing he has over Taylor is that he's younger and less injury prone. I'd have been OK if the Jets had signed Mariota, but he may have not had any interest in playing here under Hackett, or he may not like Rodgers. I don't see him as being any better than Taylor, nor do I see any of the other QBs out there in FA as being better. Who do you see as being better?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He really wasn't. he got hurt or DeVito and his italian cutlets woulda never seen the field of play.

Taylor is just a check-down guy with some legs. We are talking about backup QB here, that's about as standard as it gets

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think we'll see the Jets draft their QB3 this April.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

From The Jets Way:

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Taylor was kept on the bench when he returned.
    Taylor's record: 2-3, 5TDs to 3 Ints
    Devito's record: 3-3, 8 TDs to 3 Ints

Taylors wins were against Arizona and Wash. Devito beat NE, GB, and Wash. When Taylor faces a good team he's toast.

16. BrowningNagle

he was kept on the bench cause the season was over and Giants were white flagging it. You saw first hand the differences in the two guys, the Giants didn't even let Devito throw the ball when we knocked Taylor out.

One guy is a nice story that got some time for a last place team one season. The other is a long-time veteran NFL backup

if DeVito is still playin in 2035 you can say he's better than Taylor. I suspect he wont be playing by 2025

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Perfect! Another young QB they'll fail to develop! SMH.

dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

That potential ship, assuming it would even have been available for us to book passing on (I don't see any of those outside the top 3 guys people like to talk about making it to round 3 with so many questionable QB situations around the league), sailed with this overpay.

Looks like some of you guys really need to see a reminder of what 41yo in the NFL is supposed to look like next year before you become believers :)

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quoted the wrong guy. @KY Jets Fan said that.

20. BrowningNagle

We dont know the terms of the Taylor agreement until Wednesday. Any guaranteed money may not kick in unless he makes the 53-man roster, which is actually fairly standard with backup veteran QBs.

so before you say any ships have sailed, you should probably see if there is even a ship first

---

I'm guessing the reported figures are "with incentives" and its a fairly small contract with team friendly options in case Taylor gets beat out in training camp. This would give any young QB a real opportunity to win the backup job, if not, we have Taylor to fall back on.

That's how the Jets should've done things last season