2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they will have an awesome, awesome running game

2. BrowningNagle

More defensive linemen.... SMH

It is like getting the same neckties every year for X-mas. "oh, cool... thanks (again)"

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is like sitting around the Christmas tree and watching all the other kids go up and claim their present and seeing the pile dwindle along with all the ponies, bikes, and Playstations. At the end there will be a couple of small, wrinkled packages back under the tree that say "Jets".

NY Jets68, Brook!, Borat and 5 others like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

His numbers are high because he's a check down king. There is a big difference between better than Zach and good enough to beat a playoff team. If this is our big push season than we needed a much better backup.

I agree his contract will likely be in the 6 million range per year, but how much is guaranteed is the question.

mezzavo likes this.
  5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

For every 1 rumor or piece of news there are a dozen posts of fans whining.

Jets rely on an unproven young QB - "THEY SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT IN A VETERAN BACKUP! IF RODGERS GOES DOWN SEASON IS OVER!"

Jets bring in a veteran backup - "HE'S TOO OLD AND FRAGILE!!! WE NEED A YOUNG UP AND COMER! IF RODGERS GOES DOWN SEASON IS OVER!"

There is no winning with these fans.

#285 Jets OG fan, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Honestly though, if any backup has to play most of the season for us, our season is probably toast anyway. It wouldn't matter if it was Tyrod, Brissett, Minshew, Jameis, Flacco, etc. at backup. Expecting them to come in and lead the team to the playoffs or leading them on a deep playoff run is unreasonable. If you need them to keep your head above water when your starter goes down for 3-4 weeks, then we're talking.

I'm surprised some don't like this signing, I feel like Tyrod is one of the best backups in the league. We complained all last season about having Zach as the backup and now we significantly upgrade at that position and some still don't like it?

I'm on record as preferring Brissett going into this offseason but I don't see a massive step down from Jacoby to Tyrod so I'm good with it.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sure there is some of that, no doubt. But a better answer would have been either Brissett or Minshew. Not frail veterans with injury history yet still seasoned enough and proven they can win games. Either of those guys would have been a much better option.

However, those guys I would think would be more expensive, and they both probably wanted a chance to compete to start, which is not so much the case here as AR is the uncontested starter…however, in practical terms, he got hurt after 4 snaps so you can make the argument there’s a decent chance to start here also as our OL is still WAY below average

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

to me it’s a step down only because Taylor has been unable to stay on the field when forced to play…

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think this is one of the few pieces of legitimate criticism on the move.

Tyrod is a bit injury prone so that's not ideal but as I've already said, if he's gotta play more than 3-4 games, our season is down the tubes anyway.

Just gotta hope he can stay healthy for the games that we need him and draft someone as insurance just in case.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point, imo we NEED to sign an OT, not another OG. I'd rather have signed Zeitler than Smith. I doubt that happens. Really, we need to sign 2 OTs, and a RB, and if there's money a WR and S. We can draft an OG or two in the draft.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Not a fan of Izzy at RB2? Feel like it might be better value for us to draft a RB on Day 3, there are some intriguing options at that point.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I'm a BIG fan of the Jets giving Izzy a shot at #2, but everything I've read this offseason said that the Jets were going to keep Izzy at #3 and bring in a veteran RB. If they're all in, bringing in a rookie doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly because this isn't a good draft for RBs. I think the Jets need to sign a power back, maybe AJ Dillon. It's the one aspect our RB corps has lacked for years. With Breece, Dillon and Izzy, we'd have 3 very different types of RBs with which we could punish other teams.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If they really want a power back, they should draft Braelon Allen from Wisconsin or Audric Estime from ND in the 4th-5th round.

Those guys would be plug and play power backs for us.

14. NCJetsfan

I don't think they have a draft pick to use on a RB. Assuming they aren't able to trade down, with their 1st, 3rd and two 4th round picks, I think the picks should be OT, WR, OG, and either OG, OT, OC, QB, WR or maybe TE.

#294 NCJetsfan, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If they use the cap space to address OT and/or WR, I think one of those 4th rounders could be used to take a RB if they deem it absolutely necessary to have a guy like that.

I would probably just roll with Breece and Izzy as our 1/2 punch and then take a late flier on a Frank Gore Jr. or Rasheen Ali late on Day 3.

The 4th and 5th round seems to be where JD likes taking RBs anyway (Perine-4th, MC-4th, and Izzy-5th).

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Setting aside that the Jets totally burned bridges with Zach, would he really be a worse backup than Tyrod Taylor (or any of the other perennial scrubs being considered)? Of course the Zach haters the answer is "Yes! He sucks balls and should never touch a football again!", but is that really true? Really? Again, that ship has sailed, but this might wind up being filed under "Be careful what you wish for".

ouchy, mezzavo and cval like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Been there done that. We saw what happens when you have Zach Wilson as your backup QB.

He had his chance(s) and blew it. Time to move on

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Both of those guys want to go somewhere where starting, not only via injury, is possible.

There's a really broken thought around here that the Jets can just throw money and it'll overturn what players want in free agency outside of the money. Same applied to Morgan Moses a few years back who specifically said he wanted to play for a contender, which the Jets were not. The NFL cap system makes it hard, and dumb, to throw so much money at a player they don't care about their other preferences.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInPA like this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yes, without question. If you've ever watched Tyrod Taylor play he is a consummate pro. He has very good poise in the pocket, can scramble when needed and generally makes good decisions overall and knows when to get rid of the ball and not take stupid sacks.

For all of those reasons this is a no brainer. Tyrod is a definite upgrade over Zach. It's a steady, solid move for a real backup QB with tons of experience and savvy.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It does not matter. When the owner says what he said nobody will trade for Zach either. Any team that will take a chance on Zach will wait until he is cut.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.