Welcome to the Jets, John Simpson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Frenbar, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he’s going to start here. And bring some attitude to this OL. It’s a solid start to rebuilding this line.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I get the bargain basement shopping but don't do it at the expense of building a talented roster.

There is getting a good deal and then there's just dumpster diving. Right now the Jets are doing the latter.

These moves and franchise are so uninspiring. I have no faith in the front office people here. They are completely outmatched and outclassed by their peers around the league. They don't get it and never will. Next season is going to be AWFUL in Jets land once again.

ouchy, mezzavo and Borat like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This move is fine if we’re also going to spend the money we didn’t spend on Huff to upgrade elsewhere. You can’t bargain shop everywhere. Unfortunately that seems to be JD’s plan which has failed for years but for some reason he refuse to deviate from.

swing for Ridley, at the very least bring in Boyd.

keep adding to the interior with Zeitler

Give Tyron Smith a one year deal

We have maybe a two year window at best… thats exactly when you spend. If it all goes bad you’re rebuilding in two years anyway.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Bargain basement shopping is right, although this signing wasn't even cheap. Seems like massive overpay for a bargain basement item. And I am not necessarily against depth, but so far all I saw us do is lose a high end talent at pass rusher and use the money to get back-ups. And I like Tyrod, but Simpson seems like a PS guy who overachieved with Baltimore along starts on OL, and even then, he was below average. You plug him in here, who knows, it could be worse than Laken. I have no faith in Douglas finding diamonds in a rough when it comes to offense, he has failed too many times, OL in particular.

ouchy and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

11 penalties, 2nd most for a guard in NFL. Yes some attitude is good, but this manifestation is a killer.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Where Is this hate coming from? At least have reasons for It. What I've seen of him so far has been far more impressive than anything I've seen from Tomlinson as a NYJ. Please provide something more than just,

"this guy was the weakest link on the Ravens OL!!!"

Show me what I'm missing please.

7. IIMeanDeanII

Obviously there Is more to things than a youtube highlight video but this does help with some context of the player. I'm not hating what I'm seeing so far.. Looking for the bad plays still.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Do we have the contract specifics yet? A quick look on Twitter so far and I don't see anything, everything is, "...two-year deal up to 18M..." or something similar.

Makes me think it's got a few incentives in it based on performance that can push it to 18M but doesn't start out there. If that's the case, I think it's a solid signing. Can't imagine JD fully guaranteed the 2nd year anyway so this is most likely a glorified 1-year deal with escalators based on performance that the Jets can move on from if he doesn't produce in 2024.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yay a starting offensive lineman!
    I like that he's younger so maybe he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Sounds like he was alright last year from what I gather though no star either. The money seems kind of on pace for what other guards have gotten, maybe a little higher. Short-term deal so they're not stuck with him next year if he sucks. Nice he came from a good team at least though (unless he just benefited from good players around him though he also didn't have Trent Williams next to him). Only one sack allowed last year per PFF (Tomlinson had 7).

As with any signing, we won't be able to judge for at least a season so I'll hold strong reactions.

Nice to know one spot is set for now though

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That was his thing coming out of college if I’m remembering the same guy from Clemson. Nasty road grader types have a propensity to whiff a lot. Just like a hard hitting strong safety. They go for kill shots and it’s possible to do the same thing as a blocker.

Borat likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Nania, as much as I strongly dislike him, echoed this sentiment last night. He was going through the BAL/SF game and posting all-22 to highlight both the good and bad but he couldn't find the bad. He started doing a game vs. the Rams as well but I fell asleep before that thread ended. I get the sense that his tape looks very good but as others have stated, he's such a bruiser that sometimes that takes priority over protection. By looking at the tape and tape alone, you have to see how this is an upgrade over Tomlinson. The positives he put on tape vs SF might outnumber the positives Tomlinson put on tape the entire season.

Now... I'm sure playing alongside great OL and with a star QB helped. But hopefully he's blocking next to Tyron Smith and Joe Tippman protecting a star QB.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

I think people are over-reacting right now on this signing. It may end up being a flop, I have concerns, but there are a lot of good things to note about this signing too. I'm actually more concerned with Hackett's scheme fit with this signing.

More than I am the player.

He has a very strong base, understands and performs stunt blocking very well. Something we haven't seen much of In a long time. Nasty streak. Mauler and doesn't give up sacks. The penalties are concerning but that can be fixed with better technique. He has all the tools to be a very strong signing for us.
    I've finally seen a few bad plays from the guy, but they weren't mind numbing, boneheaded, turnstile, type of plays. Just normal plays where he just lost the rep. That Is going to happen from time to time for everyone In the NFL.

After researching, I feel pretty good about the signing overall. Hopefully he becomes a stud for us, he's just hitting his prime.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInPA like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Realistically these are the type of guys you have to sign to fix the interior offensive line in free agency and you hope a combination of scheme, coaching and continuity across the line allows these guys to have a good season.

I don’t know what people expect. Did anyone really want Robert Hunt for $20 million/year?

Good teams rebuild broken offensive lines by adding guys like Simpson and extracting a good season of them. The Rams have been doing it for almost a decade.

The problem is that the Jets have not done a good job in finding cornerstone pieces to supplement these sort of signings. Finding a good tackle and a good center are paramount to the offensive line. And when teams have shitty centers they usually break the bank in free agency for one and it usually works out. We’ve cheaped out on finding a good center since Mangold left and it’s hurt both guard spots more than anything.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Lack of depth worth a shit on the O-line has been one of their main issues.... hopefully this helps address the problem

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This should be a depth signing but with our guard talent, its not. He sort of revitalized his career in Baltimore but that wont happen here. There is a big difference blocking for the most mobile QB in history and blocking for old man Rodgers.

Borat likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From The Jets Way:

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I feel a lot better about the signing now that it looks like 6 mil per year, not 9. For 6 mil a depth OL guy, who could battle for a starting spot is not bad. Opinions on him vary, but they range from Pretty bad starter (PFF) to low end starter (Connor Hughes via League sources) to below average starter (Connor Rogers), to average, possibly slightly above average in pass pro (Nania, JetsXFactor).

13 penalties in 19 games (including 11 in 17 regular season) leads NFL, and vast majority of them are holding penalties. That's almost a holding per game. I am not sure this is something that he can improve either with Keith Carter and Hack as compared to Monken. He had a lot of penalties for Vegas too. In Vegas he played poorly, lost starting job and was cut. Picked up by Baltimore who had 4 spots set and allowed competition for the final spot, which he won from a 6th round rookie.

So, considering him not playing well in Vegas, league leading penalties, being coached by much better staff and having really good players around him in his only one passable season, looking at the above, I think a somewhat below average starter, #5/6 depth piece with some upside due to relative youth is a fair assessment. I will take that for 6 mil. The biggest concern is that it is the only OL signing. We need to have 4/5 OL guys better than him, and the options are winding down. In the meantime we lost a blue chip edge rusher and haven't used the money saved to make an equivalent addition on the offensive side. Just bargain hunting.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.