Wide Receivers if the Big Names are Unavailable

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Feb 23, 2024.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

uStadium is reporting that Courtland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy could be available this offseason.

Count me all in on a Courtland Sutton trade. Cap hits for the acquiring team would be 10M in 2024 and 14M in 2025 (a bargin for a player of Sutton's caliber). He would also be a great compliment to GW.

If you can get this trade done for one of our 4th rounders (111 or 113, which ironically enough came from Denver) or even a 4th and a Day 3 pick swap or something like that, I think it's a no-brainer.

dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Haven’t followed Sutton too closely but hasn’t he been a little disappointing

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd trade a 4th for Sutton. He's been a solid player but hasn't taken the bigger leap that's been expected, and I'm not sure why. Probably wouldn't do a 3rd though

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Only 1 1K season so far so probably a little disappointing but looks he's averaging about 840 yards a year when healthy. Plus, he's only missed 1 full season due to injury (2020) and 3 games over the last 3 years.

For a 4th round pick and 12M AAV over 2 seasons, I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

He did score 10 TDs last season with Russ and Stidham at QB.

BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

About where I'm at. If we HAD to give up the 3, I still might do it, but I'd want something else in return too.

Or, as I said in my first post about it, a 4 and a 6 for Sutton and a 7, or something like that.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if the Broncos would trade him for just a 4th round pick, but would do that.

7. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't do the pick swap like that. I might exchange our 6th round pick for theirs or swap 7th rounders, but I'm not giving up our 6th, especially when we don't have a 5th round pick.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow didn’t know all that thanks

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Pass on both a somewhat expensive Sutton and Jeudy on what would look to be a 1 year rental. That imo is maybe a trade you make a year ago when you are trying to avoid overpaying a guy like Lazard ("we know you really want your buddy, but we don't like him as much as you do so what about THIS guy instead?!?"), and while still being delusional about this franchise actually being in a legit GFIN situation. Which we now reasonably know was/is a complete farce of a concept lol.

I'm all for trying to bring in a upgrade WR2 at the right price through free agency. Surrendering draft assets in the attempt to min/max in a marginally better vet with no real future team control appeal shouldn't be in consideration. I'd ultimately rather just see them spend that 3rd in the draft taking a 5 year asset stab at WR.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

From my read, Sutton is under contract for 24' and 25'. Salary is a bit of a concern as would be surrendering significant draft capital though a 4th round pick isn't bad. But he's way more than marginally better; he'd be a huge upgrade

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Kronoking

As I'm sure I've pointed out all over this board to death by now, I think your "huge" there is a very subjective value and take. Especially in the Hackett offensive and with him as your OC.

A 4th rounder isn't bad for Sutton. In fact it would be a great value if we were the Chiefs. But unfortunately...we are not the Chiefs. Which while obvious on the surface too often tends to get completely looked over when it comes time for people to want to copy and paste production over to THIS team makeup.

Just because something might look good in itself doesn't make it good fit for here. I'm good keeping picks and banking on a guy like OBJ (who at this point might get the Hardman type contract) to do the same things and give me the same level of production we could/should reasonably expect to be there for a guy like Sutton or Jeudy when given *this* same surrounding opportunity.

12. NCJetsfan

Seriously? You think that OBJ is a better option than Sutton? I'm sorry, but imo that's just ludicrous! OBJ sucks. He's old, selfish, his skills and speed have eroded, and he's a head case/cancer. How is he a better fit?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. Kronoking

Again, you are losing sight of the forest here imo.

OBJ isn't a cancer, and he didn't suck last year in same role player type role any WR2 is going to realistically project out to be having here.

Sutton was an under 50 yards a game WR last year while being propped up by an infinitely better coach on offense then we'll have, and with an aging future HOF QB (who to relevant note btw saw that HoF career crater with the same guy we have now running the show) over there that has more recent track record of playing at an MVP level then our very advanced age future HoF QB coming off serious injury over here.

In what is likely a blow it up year anyway I'm good taking my chances that given the same volume Sutton got last year OBJ can give me that same 50 yards a game while more or less doing the same thing/s Sutton could/would. For half the price, AND we get to add on whatever bonus potentially comes out of the draft pick.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

OBJ on this team as is currently comprised would be a real treat when things go south.

15. Kronoking

If/when it goes south we'll also currently have a QB that a few years from now will probably go down as having the most cancerous impact on a football franchise ever. In what likely redefines the pinnacle of our eternal failure for the next generation of this fanbase.

OBJ in that regard couldn't be more then an overlooked sidenote in that story if he tried :)

16. NCJetsfan

If you're "good" with OBJ, then I'll just say that I totally disagree! I'm not losing sight of anything. I don't know what your agenda is, but you're either ignorant of the facts, or are being totally disingenuous. The facts show something totally different than the picture you tried to portray.

OBJ played with a far superior QB, only played in 13 games, had 35 receptions for 565 yards and 3 TDs. He averaged 43.46 yards per game and he fumbled once. Sutton played with a lesser QB in 16 games (the best ability is availability), had 59 receptions for 772 yards and scored 5 TDs. He averaged. 48.25 yards per game. The only negative for Sutton was that he fumbled 3 times.

So Sutton is younger, healthier, a bigger target (6'4" vs OBJ's 5'11), played with a QB who was not very good the last 2 seasons, and he had more receptions, more ypg, and scored more TDs. That's great logic that you use, guy in saying that OBJ would be just as good as Sutton!

You're big in pointing out that because someone had success elsewhere doesn't mean that they would here, yet you want to claim that here OBJ would be playing with a QB who at this point in his career is probably a step down from Jackson in Baltimore, and with a lesser OC and HC, yet would still do as well as Sutton who would be playing with a better QB here than in Denver and would be playing opposite a better WR than he did in Denver.

#76 NCJetsfan, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

OBJ is burnt toast. Easy pass.

nevbeats319 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Kronoking

Again, you are still missing the forest there imo.

Investing that much and currently sacrificing building block assets on Sutton is kinda like prioritizing the need of more expensive brand name umbrella for an upcoming trip to the Sahara Desert. Just so you can feel better about getting the instant gratification that comes with uploading that 1 flex post to instagram. While not even acknowledging that surrounding reality where it's only being projected to rain 4 inches a year there.

Just because it's gotten twitter cool to dunk on Russell Wilson, and the need for the following to be true exists among what probably the gets remembered as the most simped out any fanbase has ever gotten over 1 player in the history of sports, doesn't make Rodgers a better QB projection option in 2024. You also btw conveniently forgot to include the difference between having an offensive mind like Payton in the coaching room to help facilitate better production, and us having Hackett as that hopeful facilitator ;) (but hey, we all prioritize the need and overall value of good coaching I guess)

OBJ doesn't need to be a better player then Sutton from the min/maxed perspective. He just needs to upgrade what we currently have, at a cost that doesn't marry us to anything beyond 2024, and while providing a much better bang for our overall buck then Sutton can/will in this upcoming year of the Hackett offense. Doing the supporting role player things anybody who actually watched any Baltimore games last year saw him still capable of doing.

19. Kronoking

Does Sutton being a big draft day winner in fantasy football back in 2019 is still carry a massive amount of surface evaluation weight with you?

OBJ was still having 1000 yard seasons back then too. Just saying :)

#79 Kronoking, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  20. NCJetsfan

The issue that you're missing or trying to make a negative is that trading for Sutton would give the Jets his services for two years, so they don't have to worry about it again next year, and if he plays well, they can extend him. You also gloss over the issue of OBJ being another year older and coming to a team with a worse HC, worse OC, and probably lesser QB, and unless they draft a WR that develops quickly or one of Gipson or Brownlee break out this season, the team will have to spend time and resources next season looking for another WR.

We aren't going to agree or reach a consensus on this one. I wouldn't OBJ if he paid the Jets to play for them and reduced their cap.