With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not "butt hurt" at all about Zach. Disappointed? Sure. But my persistent problem is people here blaming the entire (or most) of the offensive woes on him. He was screwed, just like Sam was, and all the other young QBs before them. I'm pissed because this team continues to fail to realize their issues with evaluating and developing QBs (or pretty much anyone else on the "O" side of the ball). I have no vested interest in Zach. I wish him well and hope he proves the doubters wrong, but whether he does or doesn't, once he wears another uniform I don't care what he does.

The one QB I can say I was anything like "butt hurt" was Macc passing on Mahomes. This still pisses me off whenever I think about it.

JetsKickAss and Borat like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bowers looks like a younger Kelce on the field, it's uncanny. Top notch body control and open field instincts and his hands are elite. I doubt he makes it anywhere near 10 but I'd take him without thinking.

3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

This obviously depends on what they can do in FA, but if the jets go into the draft with huge OL needs, I think it would be wild (and jetsy) for them to pick a TE in the top ten when they have the worst OL in football, a broken QB they desperately need to protect, and no 2nd round pick. I’m sure Bowers is a nice player, but you have to protect Rodgers imo. If you take a TE in the top 10, you’re not able to address OL until round 3, and good luck finding a quality starting tackle there imo.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. Bills over Jets

It’s a wise move, especially for this one season with Rodgers. The jets need 2 quality starting tackles, which is difficult to do in one offseason. They could throw money at one in FA and use their first pick on the other, and I’m sure they’ll try that approach, but it’s much easier to sign or draft quality guards and move AVT to tackle. You can get a starting guard in the 3rd round, I can’t say the same about tackle.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Alt and Fashanu are gonna be gone when we pick. Taking Fuaga at 10 overall is an absolute disaster of a mistake. If we’re looking to improve our OL for this season it shouldn’t be in the draft.

7. Bills over Jets

Fuaga is a good player and would be fine at 10 imo. But, if I’m the jets, I’m trading down and picking up a 2nd. There’s so many quality tackles in the first round and I don’t think there’s a drastic difference between them that it’s smarter to move down, recoup your 2nd, and stil get a good one. There’s Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Guyton, Fautanu, even Morgan and Paul I like a lot.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I dont pass on elite talent at 10, that's just goofy.

KY Jets Fan and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

After incurring two major injuries while playing tackle as a pro, AVT clearly represents an injury risk at tackle. I recognize that the Jets are desperate for serviceable tackles, and AVT with great effort puts his considerable athleticism on the line at tackle. But the fact remains that his 32 inch arms put him at a disadvantage against defensive linemen with 34 plus inch arms. Is it really a fluke that NO good tackles in recent years have had less than 33 inch arms? Putting AVT at tackle is subjecting him to additional injury risk imo.

NY Jets68, abyzmul and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So agree with you. Bowers is the type of elite TE prospect that only comes out every so often. I dont think he will be there at 10 but if he is, the Jets need to take him

just a unique player too, he has H-back potential. You could get so creative with him

abyzmul likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, his justification in the link I posted makes sense. The FA OG market is much better than the FA OT market. Lots of options for us to get 2 solid OGs and then hope Alt/Fashanu falls to 10, or try to trade back and get Fuaga, Latham, Guyton, Mims, etc.

Probably much cheaper to try and fill both OG spots than 2 OT spots in FA too.

ColoradoContrails, ouchy and joelip like this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I agree that Bowers is an elite talent. I hope some team in the top 9 picks selects him because that would increase our odds of getting Fashanu. Jets dream top 9: Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, Ault, Turner.

NCJetsfan, abyzmul and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Fashanu seems to be slipping a bit in mocks as of late so I wouldn't totally rule him out.

I do agree that it's probably unlikely that Alt or Fashanu get to 10 though.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Our best case scenario is one more QB finds their way into the top 10 (McCarthy or Penix are most likely) and 1 more of the guys from the EDGE class did enough yesterday to bump them up into the top 10 (Verse, Latu, or Chop).

Loved seeing Turner check all the boxes yesterday and I think it solidified him as a top 10 pick.

joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I trust we are done taking edge rushers. :D

16. BrowningNagle

Don't be so sure.

they met with Alabama edge LB Dallas Turner at the combine, a projected top 10 pick

17. BrowningNagle

Agreed. they play him out of position and wonder why he gets hurt. And now they want to do that again?

Just let Vera-Tucker play his position, guard, so he can stay focused and be the best player he can be. Same goes for Tippmann. You dont move Vera-Tucker to tackle and move Tippmann to guard cause you need a guard now. They play their positions (G,C) and fill in around them.

You know if/when they actually do fire Douglas/Saleh, the first move the new regime is gonna do is put those guys back where they belong. No more patched up BS

joelip and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Kiper really likes Latham and has him mocked to go to the chargers at 5. He scares me because at 365 he presents the same injury/weight problem as Becton. Of course Douglas would never learn.

joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's what I mean about some in the scouting community being big fans of his. I haven't seen him top 5 though. Wow.
    I see him listed at 6-6 335 some places and now 360 others. I wonder where he is now and where he played at. I don't know that he's had injury issues in college, but if he was actually coming at 360 pounds, it would be a concern for the future. Also haven't seen reports of weight management issues yet, but that would also be a huge flag if so

tomdeb, joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where seeing us draft Bowers at #10 isn't going to have me sitting there screaming in frustration at tv like last year, but this is ideally where I am at too.

People aren't being realistic at this point at what the actually probability chance is looking like that an even further min/maxed out Rodgers/Hackett experiment will succeed. It is a really really piss poor bet by any grounded projection, and a long shot at best. There is an overwhelming chance this team is literally 1-2 games away from a fallout reality of acknowledging that this is still ultimately a forever stuck in rebuild football team. One that still lacks a basic and already in-place foundation at offense as they then have to continue to search for a real answer at QB and OC.

If both Alt and Fash are off the board and the opportunity presents itself to trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd....that is the most ideal big picture play I expect a good GM to make atm/imo. Stacking more young.and cheap talent > being delusional about 2024.

ouchy likes this.