Woody Johnson is MAD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Feb 8, 2024.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

We will just have to agree that we see different sides of the same coin. I don't believe in big coincidences like that.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed, no proof, but even saying that it is more likely than not that Woody mandated JD to go after Rodgers because he went to a plane with JD to me is not a valid conclusion.

To me JD is the one who is responsible for building the roster, because that's his job. Nothing I heard gave me even the hint of him and Saleh being anything other than Rodgers' fan boys. So, in the absence of such proof, I am going to blame the construction of the roster on the GM, since that's his job description. Woody's mistake is getting the wrong senior people to run this team. Though I do hope JD finally takes his head out of his ass this year and surprises all of us.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. The_Darksider

Oh, don't get me wrong, the plane trip isn't the only thing. It's that whole entire fiasco, something you always point out about leverage, where they gave away every bit of what they intended or wanted to do long before they needed to.

I'm not saying JD wasn't on board with Rodgers, I'm just saying that he didn't go in there and beg Woody Johnson to get him. I'm convinced that at the very worst Douglas would have at least played the hand much better, at least taken some of the other quarterback options further down the road, and based on other trades he walked away from, possibly walked away if he didn't get it for the price he wanted. But plane trips, hiring of Nathaniel Hackett, and Rodgers going on the national stage and saying he wanted the Jets pretty much took that out of his hands.

And I'm pretty sure that once Douglas presented the options to Johnson, he jumped all over it and insisted onRodgers.

All conjecture, but in my mind it makes sense.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Even if all true, JD had to get a better trade deal than he got in spite of Woody, even if what you believe true. You have to look at it from the other side as well - GB basically HAD to accept this second round pick plus a Favre deal (more protection in 2024), JD should have done a much better job regardless. And speaking of Favre, he was picked up the following year by Minny and did well for them. So, it's not like there is some pattern here just with Woody. Any good QB will be a target and there are not many available each year.

joelip likes this.
  5. The_Darksider

No argument there, JD didn't do a good job and I'm not in any way defending it. Just stating what I consider to be obvious, and all I have to go on is previous behavioral patterns by both.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

When looking for a culprit, look to who gains most. JD and Saleh bought themselves a guaranteed 2 years, and if those 2 years were moderately successful they’d have themselves both a new long term deal here. If not for Rodgers being here they’d both be gone. Now I agree it was an easy sell to Woody, but I have no doubt ARod was JD and Saleh’s self preserving first and only move. They just had to sell it to an easy mark in Woody

REVISion likes this.
  7. The_Darksider

These guys weren't truly on the hot seat at the end of last year. There is a lot of revisionist history going on here because of the off-season and then the crash and burn during the season. Someone had basically turned on the pilot light because of the bad finish, but don't forget that this team was 7–4 at one point. There was minimal pressure to save their jobs, only to get a quarterback in here.

If you think they made moves to save their jobs last season, wait till you see this one. They will basically throw lighter fluid and a match all over anything from 2026 forward.

joelip likes this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed. 2026 or 2027 is the next time that we can expect the Jets to even have a chance at rising to anything resembling mediocrity or competitiveness. 2024 is going to be an all-time Jets trainwreck of a season that will make us pine for the "glory days" of the 2022 and 2023 seasons.

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

They weren’t on the hot seat? Their prized QB was so bad that they were already scrambling to replace him after 2 years. They had 2 awful losing seasons, JD’s 1st draft was proving to be a disaster. Without Rodgers the entire regime would have been fired this year without a doubt. Rodgers was far and away the best bridge to getting a second contract for JD and Saleh. In fact it all but guaranteed they get extended. If we even make it as WC next year Woody will have to either fire a “playoff coach/gm” or extend them both. The only way they get fired now is in Rodgers gets hurt early again or he just plain regresses to pure suckitude.

REVISion likes this.
  10. The_Darksider

I would sign on the dotted line right now to be competitive in 2026 or 2027. The way I see it, those years will be the ones where we don't have any high draft picks, no cap room, a bunch of players on terrible contracts or who left us dead cap room because we had to restructure, etc. I'm thinking we are essentially done for the 20s at this point.

jets_fan likes this.
  11. jets_fan

I'm not expecting us to necessarily be competitive then either, but it's the next time I see there being even a slight chance of it being possible. Next year is a total wash already because we're running it back with the worst HC in the league and one of the worst front offices.

As I've said before, I'm not even sure we're even halfway through this current playoff drought. There's absolutely no sign of there being light at the end of this tunnel.

The_Darksider likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

Looking forward to the 20 year celebration of the last time we made the playoffs. Woody will put something on the big screen.

13. jets_fan

The 25th anniversary will be even more fun. Maybe they'll unveil spiffy new silver jerseys to celebrate the silver anniversary of us actually being relevant to anything other than the backpages of the NY papers.

Since1969 and The_Darksider like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What? No other NFL team knew what Zach Wilson was worth before Woody opened his yap?

tomdeb likes this.
  15. Ralebird

If you're thinking that all such comments must be either black or while you're not being realistic. We can voice opinions while the hiring process is ongoing but once the decision is made all we can do is buckle up and wait for the ride to start. Whether you're talking about a draft pick, a coach or GM taking a "wait and see" or "show me" attitude is far better than jumping on the bandwagon for the hiree just because he's the new guy in town.

We've probably lost at least a dozen regular posters here this past year who just gave up after beginning as avid defenders of Douglas, Saleh and Wilson out of a distorted belief that Johnson and company must be right and their own misplaced sense of loyalty demanded it. Hell, for at least a couple of years those of us who weren't so blinded by the bullshit were criticized for not sharing their irrational exuberance while we watched the bus driven over the cliff. We're still here; they're not.

16. Ralebird

An observation: Nowhere in the article is Woody Johnson quoted saying Zach Wilson's name. He did respond when asked about the backup quarterback position but that is a job title, not a person's name. It appears to me that Johnson was addressing his supposedly angry comments towards those making the decision not to bring on someone competent to fill the position rather than slamming Wilson as the headline writer made it appear. (And this may be the first time anyone here has seen me come to the defense of Wilson.)

A question: A number of people here have referenced Johnson as a drunk. The only background I found in looking for details to support that were regarding a fall off a bridge while in college over fifty years ago while under the influence of alcohol and/or other mind altering substances. The guy certainly has brought sufficient documented scorn upon himself without dealing with "holier than thou" attitudes from the past. (And now I find I have also defended Woody Johnson!) Is there a good reason, or any reason at all, to believe this is a legitimate complaint today?

17. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

a post I fully agree with.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well if Woody was sober and sucked this bad as owner then it’s way worse than I thought.

he’s been a “socialite” his whole life. He ain’t sober

19. Ralebird

I get it: "socialite" = alcoholic. I guess I'm not as close to the guy as you are.

20. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

So now we are equating Woody to being on a Paris Hilton level of intellect? :)

But sure, let's go with that if it better helps the big guy keep having his cake and eating it to.