Bryce Huff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 2, 2023.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Winning franchises don't let 25 year old pass rushing studs walk. You cut that skinny one dimensional McDonald and others before you give up a proven chip.

WTF is wrong with this front office? Do you think the 49ers or Ravens would cut Huff? Quite the contrary. They would lock him up until he was 30 at least.

I'm shocked this requires so much discussion. No brainer move.

Centiment and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Transition tag him and Huff would likely appeal that he’s a DE.

that would put him over 20 mil

the Jets have 5 other players with 5 or more sacks and a first round draft pick at his position waiting in the wings

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

5 sacks is not the same as 10 though. We haven't had ten in 10 years. No one is even close to his pressure rate either and I remember when our coaches benched him early - we could not generate any pressure and just survived with great CB play. Imagine if we have both and maybe playing with lead this time for more than a few mins all season. Huff can really help here. Even if transition tag 18.6-20.1 mil, I am paying it and see what other offers he gets.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Trading or cutting JFM would clear up a lot of that room to keep Huff on a transition.

You don’t cut a really good player, because you HOPE a player you drafted develops into a player like Huff after a couple more seasons.
    I can’t believe we still discussing it.
    And also don’t believe JD will make a smart decision here.

tomdeb, Jets79 and Borat like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Like it or not, we are in win now mode for next year. This is not the time to get rid of the only double digit sack guy you've had in 10 years. I am even OK to keep JFM if he can bulk up a bit more to move inside. But to let go the only double digit sack guy we've had in a decade, who has far and away the best pressure rate on the team at 25 years old and no injury history in a win now year when we can tag and match any offer, to me would be absolutely moronic even for JD.

CAP can be manipulated and pushed back. Other moves can be made. But we need someone who can effectively rush a QB consistently. No one else is a proven prolific pass rusher on the team. Hope for McD to be a beast this win now year is not a strategy. We got one guy, who is still under our control. We can't lose him, as simple as that. At worst he will have to play on a tag, and we will have to make CAP room by restructuring others. But it won't even come down to that. He can test the market and we will pay him market price. Nothing wrong with that.

Jets79, NY Jets68 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

that is clearly not going to be possible, if they transition tag they will have to pray no one puts in an offer. they will lose him without compensation

#206 BrowningNagle, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why? What's wrong with paying market price?

8. BrowningNagle

cause he’s liable to get a huge contract on the market.

I would love to match it but Rodgers zillion dollar contract makes it impossible

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Theoretically, if every team pays the market price for all of their roster AND their coaching staff, every team will end up at 9-8 or 8-9. That's the problem.

Paying the market price means mediocrity. You need to get more values out of the roster than the market dictates. (Another way of looking at this is - nearly all the historically well-run franchises have underpaid their talents. Without an exception.)

10. BrowningNagle

Montez Sweat signed a 4 year-$98 Million contract extension (72M guaranteed) with the Bears just a couple months ago. That's 24.5 million per year.

Is Sweat significantly better than Huff? I think they are similar myself, maybe Sweat is a little better. But why wouldn't Huff want a similar contract. He already said he's not taking a discount and looking to max out

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Huff is going to get all the money he can. He’s just not as proven as maybe Sweat is. But his pass win rate was elite, with only Myles Garrett being better.

I also think the Jets took a while to expand his role, back when he was in college he def lined up inside and showed enough to not be overwhelmed despite being undersized. Now he’s the premier pass rusher on the market with a bit of unknown to him because he really wasn’t asked to be an every down guy. His next team is going to unleash him, whether he’s ready or able. But he’s proven at least he can get after the QB, I’d say maybe not as much as Sweat but we know teams will overpay in FA.

Jonathan_Vilma and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the whole him being bad against the run has been slightly overstated. He’s obviously not as good when we line up a defensive tackle (JFM) at defensive end but he should’ve been on the field more IMO.

Borat and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

the Jets have selected an edge rusher in the first round each of the last 2 years and yet we don't think they are enough to fill the void Huff will leave.

Ugh, poor job by the GM

ouchy likes this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's not really accurate.

Huff has just exploded the past two years (btw he was signed as an UDFA by the same GM). JJ is a legit DE is this league and is an all-around better player than Huff.

McDonald? Never liked the pick but the jury is still out.

15. BrowningNagle

They should be comfortable letting Huff walk, that was the whole point of drafting McDonald to be his replacement. Otherwise it was a wasted 1st round pick

Fiftynine and teamgreen like this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I disagree….my belief is that you don’t get rid of good players…and Huff has developed from an undrafted kid to a VERY good player. That’s the kind of player you KEEP, not get rid of. Especially when he plays a premium position.

Look, I get that we have a bunch of DE’s in JFM, JJ, McD, and Huff, and I get we have way bigger needs at OT and WR and QB.

However, especially coming with our history of NEVER having any edge rushers because Idzik and Mac never bothered to draft any, we’ve now built pass rush to be one of our strengths. And we’ve done it not by having a superstar pass rusher like Nick Bosa or TJ Watt. We’ve done it by having a stable of good to very good pass rushers and rotating them to keep them fresh. Like it or not, that’s who we are.

I would find a way to keep Huff…if anything, I’d be more open to moving JFM and his ill timed penchant for bad penalties if we really need to make room under the cap. I get that we drafted McD, but we already HAVE in Huff what we HOPE McD will develop into. That’s a gamble … maybe he will, maybe he won’t, but we do have a proven pass rusher in Huff.

I fully get that we may be unable to match a top offer if Huff gets one, but this is where JD HAS to show his chops and play this carefully. Not sure if that means a transition or franchise tab, or some other restructurings to make room, but to me, I would say Huff is a must keep.

Borat and NY Jets68 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Well if by some miracle they do keep Huff, (Idk how, he's gonna get big money on the market), then they should absolutely trade away Will McDonald.

Makes no sense to have that log-jam and maybe McDonald could still be valued enough to bring us something back. Another year as a bench/special teams player and his value sinks like a rock

tomdeb likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we are really continuing to go all in either Huff or JFM must go. I like Huff but he isn't worth the contract he will get. At least not to us when we have limited cap space and too many holes. That money would be better spent elsewhere. Ideally on a quality o-lineman. If we cant rely on back to back first rounders and one big contract DE where screwed anyway.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I said that too. Tag Huff and put out the word that either Huff or McDonald can be had for a second round 2024 pick. The Panthers were really interested in McDonald last year I read.

20. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

The Ravens let Zadarious Smith go after a breakout 8.5 sack season. In fact, the ravens build their foundation by letting players go to get comp. picks.

BrowningNagle likes this.