With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You're right, I remember. You, SOJAZ, Ouchy, and I were vocal early and often about NOT taking Zach in 2021. Too bad Douglas excels at wasting #1 picks (Becton, Zach, McDonald).

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

No way. AVT at tackle experiment has to end. his arms are too short, he is moving too much to compensate and that causes injuries. Any 300+ lb man that moves more than they need to often gets hurt.

Jojo and joelip like this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

DROP the mic...

This team cannot, repeat CANNOT, develop talent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether it be QB or O-Line. We have NO idea how good any of our O-line can be because the Jets do not have the coaching in place to take advantage. I have NO DOUBT whatsoever, based off current facts, that Bechton WILL go to another team and become an offensive juggernaut simply because "it's what the Jets do." There are two active players, in the playoffs, who bolster this statement.

Having said that, thanks to Wood-rough and his colossal miscalculation in bringing back this jack-wad, jerk-water joke of an offensive coaching staff, we the fans can expect more of the same. I don't even know why they bother showing up to the draft. They are destined to fuck up anyone that comes through their doors so what does it matter. It matters even less that we sit here and speculate because we KNOW they are going to fuck it up. All they are doing is burning through another valuable year of our small handful of talented offensive people that will soon BOLT the moment they have the opportunity. Hell, you just KNOW they are going to fucking F-Tag G. Wilson when his time comes and, if I were him, I'd sit my ass out. I wouldn't sign that fucking contract if my life depended on it, if I were him. I'd sit until I could escape to someplace that will actually cultivate and foster the talent that he has as well as a team that actually fucking champions becoming a winner. Because that is NOT this organization. Hasn't been for a VERY long time.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Could not agree more

5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

In any case, the fact remains that NO good tackle in recent years has had less than 33-inch arms. My guess also is that AVT can strain to continue to do a good job at OT, but his 32-inch arms will always increase his injury risk.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/4/21/22395856/can-you-be-an-above-average-offensive-tackle-in-the-nfl-with-short-arms

#305 joelip, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    REVISion likes this.
  6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

AVT is a very good LG, so the Jets play him everywhere but left guard. Makes perfect sense.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I would still argue against you there. It’s always the right move to draft a QB at 2 when you don’t have one and it’s the entire key to the success of the franchise. You don’t pass on that opportunity for any other position imo. I thought the Giants were insane drafting a RB at 2 when Eli was on his last legs. They wasted a year and were terrible even with that RB performing well, which shows why you don’t do that. Always swing on the QB imo, you’re going nowhere without one.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you were right too, sewell is awesome

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Was listening to a pod yesterday that broke down the Alt/Fuaga/Olu debate again and they were comparing it to DJ's mock from the other day. The difference between Olu and Fuaga is so close that some people will actually have Fuaga ranked over Olu even though he strictly a RT. Fuaga is so nasty in the run game and just adds a tenacity that your OL needs.

#309 dawinner127, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Imagine the great offensive line we'd have if Douglas wasn't a dope? Wirfs, Sewell, who else?

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What make you think they would have developed nicely under this incompetent OL coaching? The only two OL that developed wellon their own, the Center and AVT, where both played out of position and both got hurt. Insanely stupid. Are we too blind to see there is a real problem on the OC staff that needs immediate fixing.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

While I agree we need to take an OT, most OT’s are liabilities in their first year. So to think that by drafting an OT we’re doing Rodgers some kind of favor, I deeply disagree. The time to address OT was last year if that was the goal. But hey, we got Will McDonald. We need to figure out how to bring in multiple quality OL, including at least one starting quality LT, in FA this year while having very little cap room and an OL coach that apparently most players don’t want to work with.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't realize that was up for debate. The whole house needs to burn down.

The_Darksider, mezzavo and LAJet like this.
  14. dawinner127

They have $90m to spend. They are going to borrow and push shit down the line for the next 2 years. Onwenu or someone like Andrus Peat/Robert Hunt are probably the only OL FAs worth bringing in. IMO I think they have a way better shot at spending on WR during FA and drafting OL unless you want the likes of Bahktiari or Smith from Dallas.

15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I am lower on Olu than most. While it’s true that his pass pro skill set is elite, his run blocking is not even average, it’s below average. Most analysts fluff that off and say it can be improved, but I’m not so sure. He’s still a tackle I would take high because he plays left and the pass pro is there (in a passing league) but I can’t put him in the same category of elite tackles as the ones who have both.

Even if both LT’s are gone when the jets pick, the jets need both anyway, so just take Fuaga/Latham/Mims depending on who you like.

If they have to have a left for some reason, I’m higher on Patrick Paul than most, and Tyler Guyton is the most athletically gifted tackle in the draft, although raw. Jets could trade back into the 20’s and pick up either of them, along with a haul that would probably include a future 1 moving that far.

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

I will punch myself in the face repeatedly if they take Latham or Mims over Fuaga. If somehow Fuaga is gone before 10, that most likely means Daniels or Odunze should be there at 10.

Caleb
    Maye
    MHJR
    Alt
    Nabers
    Foshanu
    Bowers
    Fuaga
    Daniels
    Odunze

This isn't in any order, but just the top 10 players on offense without including any defensive players in the top 10 which hasn't happened in 20+ years.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely.
    The question in my mind is this, if JD has a really good draft this year, with a couple of solid OL and WR plus a decent free agency, but RS fails to deliver a playoff winner, will JD be retained or will Woody clean house. I don’t trust Woody to make a good selection at GM. I’m more inclined with the approach to bring in now a heavy hitter VP of operations over both of them, someone that is knee deep in football knowledge to make the overarching decisions moving forward and keeping Woody out of the loop. He will have the ultimate say so on who goes and who to replace him with. Of course, this implies Woody would have to be smart enough to find a top guy in that spot.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is my concern with Fuaga along with his pass blocking. We don't know his arm length yet but it looks short at a glance.

There seems to be a decent shot that Fashanu or Fuaga is available at 10. To me, Fashanu is clearly the better prospect. Longer, better pass blocker, natural LT. Fuaga is more JD's type though, a run blocker. I'm not saying Fuaga will be Becton but I'm getting Becton/Wirfs vibes again where we take the guy I clearly consider the worse prospect overall.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Oregon State ran something like 20 straight run plays last year to beat Oregon last year and I think a bunch of them were behind Fuaga. Something like 15 passes and 40+ designed runs in that game.

I don’t see how he doesn’t finish as tackle #3. Troy Fautanu from Washington might rise a lot too. He had a dreadful CFP Championship game but he was a good player all year.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I listened to the same podcast and my takeaway was that Rogers thought it would be a mistake to take Fuaga over Fashanu.

dawinner127 likes this.