With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are a lot more optimistic than me when it comes to Max and Warren. Max was ready for full last offseason according to reports, so I don't want to use blood clots as an excuse. Rookie year he was also bad and even benched mid game for Cedrick at some point. However, that year he wasn't really supposed to play coming from small school, and considering he was a rookie and low expectations, it was fair to cut him a lot of slack. There is no slack for last year. To me Max is wasting a roster spot right now. Depending on how he does at OTAs, he may be released in very short order. Either way, as far as I am concerned, if he amounts a decent sub, it's a bonus. He should be looked at as a PS guy now at best.

Carter Warren is 25 years old - he is older than Becton who finished his rookie deal already. He was by far our best RT (meaning much better than Max and Billy), but unfortunately this is not saying much. He did show some promise, had a few moments in pass pro. Overall though he wasn't a good starter when he got a chance, but I am cutting him some slack for being a rookie. Age does matter though - at 24/25 he should be doing better than a typical 21/22 year old rookie. Injury prone too. Still, I have hope he can be a decent back-up next year, but hoping is one thing, and counting on it is another, and he cannot be counted on any more than #9/10 guy.

BacktoQueens and joelip like this.
  2. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Therein JD dilemma. Where to get competent people

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The amount of older rookies we have taken simply makes no sense. Carter Warren is just another example of this under JD’s tenure.

tomdeb and REVISion like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one - or perhaps only a few - have ever said Douglas hasn't tried. But trying isn't enough, he has to succeed. "You are what your record says you are", as Parcells said. There's really no escaping Douglas's record.

BacktoQueens, SOJAZ, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  5. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Yup. Poor record. Poor performance. No getting away from it

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Which oaf? Oaf doesn't really narrow it down there.

BacktoQueens, REVISion and Dierking like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know what the true thoughts were around the league of Becton vs. Wirfs leading up to and during that draft.

I'm just a casual fan and I distinctly remember watching footage of Wirfs jumping around with incredible (incredible!) strength and agility and just being like.... wow. Its not like this was some random guy nobody could imagine would be good someday. And you'd like to think that all that agility and less mass (but still huge) would make them think he'd age and last better and more dependably in the NFL. Hindsight for sure but it really does look like a terrible decision looking backwards.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I remember it being pretty obvious we were going to target an OT that draft in the lead-up to it. With that in mind I spent a lot of time listening to various draft podcasts covering the OT class. Thomas had the most support as the #1 OT prospect. There was debate over whether Wirfs or Wills was the #2 guy. Becton was pretty widely considered to be the #4 guy with one major exception - JD's friend Daniel Jeremiah. I'm pretty sure he had Becton as the best OT in the class. Hard to imagine that didn't play a big role in JD taking him.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

When Becton was drafted he had missed 1 1/2 games at Louisville due to injury while starting 33 in three years. How was that "injury prone" that made him a bad pick?

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

LAJet likes this.
  11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

He gave up the must sacks and pressures,,,, just move the F on please...

tomdeb and REVISion like this.
  13. dawinner127

Yeah except Fuaga isn’t a LT and they better not put him there if they need draft him.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You're still crazy for wanting to draft him at 2 overall. With all those quarterbacks available, it's a trade back scenario unless you think you have your quarterback, and clearly they thought they did and even more clearly were wrong.

15. dawinner127

Cimini mentioned yesterday or today on a pod that he think's a trade back is in play.

If we could go from 10 to like 20 and recoup #50, I am so in. Take Mims or Fautanu and get that capital in the 2nd. Would def be down with it

16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

The problem is we need to address LT. What immediate starter at LT is in the market? Tyrone Smith? Most often re-sign with their teams. I agree dropping back and getting a 2 BUT, I would think we need to roll with Becton at LT again

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's going to be Bakhtiari. At least until he gets injured again.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  18. dawinner127

That's why I think they move AVT to LT and let him stay there unless Alt or Olu are on the board at 10.

19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Watching our two best tackles play well for other teams this past weekend (Fant, Moses) and seeing other former Jets olinemen having some success elsewhere, makes me question whether the main issue is the players, or the decision making within the organization.

We're talking about drafting another tackle, maybe we simply misuse the ones we have. Fant wasn't "good enough" to keep. We let Moses walk and I don't think we even made him an offer. Becton and Mitchell both regressed this season. They run a wide zone scheme, play guys out of position and then watch them drop like flies. There's confusion and chaos with every snap.

Something is very wrong and they don't see it within the organization. Our GM, ironically, cannot evaluate OL talent, and the coaching staff cannot develop it. Until they acknowledge and address those things, it won't matter who they draft at tackle, because nothing will change.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the root of the problem, and has been for decades. Woody hires people who agree to come here on his terms, not whether they're particularly astute at building a good team. And those guys don't know enough to find and evaluate good talent, nor hire coaches that can get the most out of the talent they do find. It's as dysfunctional a franchise - in any sport - as I have ever seen. Their record proves it.

It will never happen, but Woody needs to hire a Pres./VP of Football Ops who has deep NFL experience with successful teams and turn everything over to him. Or better yet, he needs to sell the team. He can keep a minority interest so he still rakes in dough and can call himself a football owner, but the decisions will be made by someone who knows what he's doing.

Of course, these are pipe dreams and so we're doomed to be rooting for this dysfunctional mess for the foreseeable future.

IIMeanDeanII and REVISion like this.