With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

as i mentioned a few pages back i think we should draft BPA even if that ends up being a QB.

there are plenty of super star QBs who were drafted in ourrange. They are not super stars because they are drafted in this range - indeed there are a lot of duds. Instead, it's that some stars drop

i think a key problem with drafting QBs is the teams have so little information on things that truly matter. Yes they know the height, weight, speed, hand size, can see every throw. these matter but can be deceiving. But does the FO really know how smart the guy is, how he will continue to grow in processing the game, resilience etc. A lot of these guys are coming from programs where they overwhelmed the competition or the opponent would be lucky to have one NFL caliber DB (let alone star NFL DBs), NFL caliber pass rush etc. It's a mystery how these guys will react when faced with a completely different tier of players at essentially every position, not to mention better opposing coaches and schemes than they're used to

The better FOs have a better track record on this but especially at QB it's a gamble, but one every team needs to make

I recall the story that the Redskins, back in the day when they were a force, used to draft undersized lineman who were good with their feet. They felt that it was much easier for them to put quality size on those guys in a year or two than to teach them better coordination

mezzavo, HomeoftheJets and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Most of the QB’s that played well were protected well this weekend.

We really need to fix this fucking line. The two best lines in the sport also might be playing next weekend (Detroit and Baltimore).

mezzavo, SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and 4 others like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was called crazy for wanting Jets to draft Sewell instead of Wilson that year.

BrowningNagle, tomdeb, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It all depends on Becton. If they want to run it back with him next year, and can adress OT/OG in FA then we can go after WR OR OT in rd 1. If they bring him back on a one year deal and make him compete, then we need OT in rd 1.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I noticed that as well. Even in KC/Buffalo game there was a little bit of time to operate for both. People keep saying we need to upgrade Zach at back-up QB, but outside of a few high end guys, I just think our line would have swallowed any QB. Without a functioning offensive line it truly doesn't matter who the QB is. And Rodgers is sure to get hurt again. It's time JD pulled a head out of his ass and fixed the line.

Also, there are quite a few creative designs called at the right time by the OCs. We all knew Hack was terrible, but the gap between him and some of the play callers in play-offs is remarkable.

#265 Borat, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    UK_Chilts, mezzavo, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed about the 49rs line: their right tackle, Colton McKivitz, was drafted in the 5th round in 2020 to mixed reviews. He was criticized for lacking strength and whiffing on blocks. He only made 5 fill-in starts over his first three years.

But the 49rs must have done a good job of developing him over the three years as he had a very solid 2023, his first year as a starter. Are the Jets OL coaches developing our drafted lineman in the same way? Also, the 49rs' OL plans seem to stress draft picks (high end and mid-range) much more than washed-up, injury prone veterans. Has JD noticed?

mezzavo, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Max didn't deliver either and looked awful. We heave a dreadful combination of a GM who cannot find offensive talent outside of top 36 selections and Offensive coaches who can't develop players.

8. WoodyHarrelson

I still can't judge our OL fully because we were so one dimensional. Zach Wilson will go down as one of the biggest busts of all time. Players will be servicable and look MUCh better when the QB knows where to go with the ball and cna actually pass. Are they perfect? No. but I don't think we need like 4 new OL. Becton will be fine, AVT will be above average starter, Tippman as well. And we can address OT in Rd 1 and LG in FA. We will be just fine.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did you forget how Mike White and Flacco look at the end of last year? There is a large sample size of many different QBs including these who played will behind a better OLine on different teams to conclude OLine is indeed a huge problem for years. Heck, even Rodgers with small sample size of 3 plays got pressured on every single one, then got hurt. Saying they are not perfect does not accurately depict the pile of shit the OLine has been since JD took over.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

How can we say Becton will be fine? There's a strong argument he was the worst LT in football this year. He gave up the most sacks and had the most penalties. He's a disaster.

11. WoodyHarrelson

Because Goerge Freaking Fant and Morgan Freaking Moses are starters on playoff teams. Idk, it is what it is...

mezzavo likes this.
  12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Becton imo I think wasn’t a good pick at all. He was injury prone, and when he finally got healthy, he was spotty at best. But if he did in fact give up the most sacks at LT, then we need a replacement.

Draft OLs. I am going to keep saying it until we draft a god darn good OL and three!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Becton was Joe's first real high profile mistake and it is one the Jets have been paying for ever since. Say goodbye to that oaf already.

14. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Ite really boring reading all these kinds of comments from posters who have been around for a while.
    "Becton imo I think wasn’t a good pick at all. He was injury prone,". Well, if we want at all to be factual, not a trait widely distributed within this posting community, HE WAS NEVER INJURED IN COLLEGE. Notice your use of the past tense, WAS. He now IS perhaps injury prone, (but not in 2023) but WAS NOT when drafted

mezzavo likes this.
  15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, Becton was the biggest disaster for most of the season, but Max was also a disappointment. He was drafted to mostly good reviews, with his main negative being that he needed a redshirt year in the weight room to get bigger and stronger. And he showed some decent ability in his rookie year.

Maybe he had difficulty adjusting both physically and mentally to his genetic blood clotting disorder, but he has been terrible since he got sick. I hope he proves us all wrong, gets squared away, and develops into a decent backup tackle in 2024.

Carter Warren looks like he has a chance to eventually develop into a solid starter at right tackle, and I hope our OL coaches can overcome their history and actually develop him. But in any case, I hope the Jets use pick 10 and another high pick on OT's.

Pepsiguy5 and Borat like this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Sorry I am boring you. Never did I mentioned him in college. I mentioned he has been injury prone ever since we drafted him. Is that better? Not what we wanted from our first draft pick OL. Glad we picked an OL but we whiffed on him with other teams drafting behind us having better successes with OL. Live with the facts, if you’re happy with Becton and think he s gonna be a proven LT, then great. Maybe you’ll be right. But he hasn’t shown me anything to keep him.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Being injury prone isn't just about being injured in the past, biomechanics and weight play a role too. Becton is top-heavy and has knock knees. He also had an issue with being too heavy going back to college and was immediately one of the 3 heaviest players in the league upon being drafted. That's a lot of weight on knees that aren't normally shaped and aren't surrounded by massive quads. It didn't take an orthopedic surgeon to guess that he might be more prone to injury than most.

Other teams consider stuff like this. We know because of various scouting reports that have leaked over the years.

18. bleedgreen

JD is in a bit of a dilemma at this point. He deliberates between carrying 9 or 10 Oline. How many Oline people should he actually resign from the current roster. I think AVT is a given and should be fine. Tippman is under contract. Warren is under contract. As is mitchell. I think they want Tomlinson back, he played the whole year. Becton is an issue. He was not a good performer this year, but he is a known quantity. The coaching staff should be able to figure out how to compensate. (I CAN HEAR THE LAUGHTER ALREADY, AND I JOIN IN). But it depends on his cost. He can go elsewhere. Everybody else was just a body, He can sign free agent bodies to replace current bodies, but so what. Based on my thinking, his draft should be hugely Oline. He needs at least 3 draftees, hoping at least 1 is a stud and 1 at least adequate. So unless he has gem in mind at 10, he trades out for more picks.
    Unlike some of the people on this board, who seem to rewrite history with every post, I think JD knows, and has known from his first day on the job, he needs a quality Oline. He has tried to get these players through every means possible. Trades, proposed trades, free agency, draft, and so on. The results have been crap. He has had bad luck and has made poor decisions. He has not done a good job. But not for lack of trying. He has not ignored this vital piece of the team. He has just not executed.

19. bleedgreen

Im not happy with Becton. I wish we had a do over. But lets get the facts straight. He played his first year a majority of games and looked ok. Not a world beater, but certainly gave hope for the future. I really dont recall people saying after his first year he was a bust. As the world turns.

20. bleedgreen

Well, he was very large his first year but only missed a few games. His slimmer self played almost all of this year. 2 year with injuries, and i continually read the first was not weight related, and 2 without. People here were salivating at the thought of becton and avt together. But, people dont want to remember that