New coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jojo, Dec 18, 2023.

1. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

All of these HC vacancies and I haven't heard of a single Jets Assistant being interviewed for any of them. That is also very telling of what the rest of the NFL thinks of the Jets coaching staff.

NCJetsfan, mezzavo and Jets79 like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well that’s just nitpicking.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the Cowboys can get Harbaugh, then for sure they should ditch McCarthy. Maybe Carroll as well, but that's like a two year rental, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Belichick would also be a rental, plus I'm not convinced he's even a top 10 coach at this point. He's so past his prime.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Very true…but then, who is there? The D did well, but clearly it seems like the rest of the NFL is attributing that to Saleh and not so much to Ulbrech

On offense, there is NO ONE worth talking to

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Since it looks like Saleh won't last past next season, I'll take an up and coming OC or an experienced HC(the good kind not Gase 2.0).

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Help me out here - what is it that Carroll's or Belichick's age has to do with firing or not hiring them? Have their birth certificates hampered their ability to perform their jobs at a high level? Have they shown they are unable to put in the long hours required of the position? Have they demonstrated they cannot relate to their players and have the players respond in doing their jobs? Have they been physically or mentally compromised in some way that hampers their ability to perform?

#106 Ralebird, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    mezzavo likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

How the hell does Pete Carroll only have 20 losses with the Seahawks? That's insane. And that was with one team that won the division made the playoffs below .500 and still won a wildcard game.

mezzavo likes this.
  8. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

abyzmul likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thank you, something didn't sound right

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Brandon Staley - 24-24, 1 playoff appearance. Fired mid season.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

With Belichick that's exactly what happened. He hasn't performed his job at a high level in years. Carroll still seems like a good coach, but unless he plans on coaching until he's 80 (and is still effective at that age), the Cowboys will have to change coaches again before Prescott's career is over. So unless they think Carroll is significantly better than McCarthy, swapping McCarthy for him isn't the right move.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Exactly what happened with Belichick that's related to his age? Plenty of coaches wear out their welcome at any given team before they're fifty and move on to success elsewhere. And which is it for Carroll? Too old now, or good until he's eighty, why then? I'm trying to figure out why you think age is relevant to the future of both of these guys. What is the cause and effect for your stance? Let's face it, Gase was done at forty; Saleh should be done and he's only 44. What makes your choice of number the right one?

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Best coaching candidate pool maybe ever

REVISion likes this.
  14. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

got your point but caroll has more than 20 losses

15. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Bill Belicheck, one of the greatest coaches of all time, mutually released - had best QB that has played this game, post brady he has been bad and hasn't drafted well and getting old

Pete Carroll - 170-20 record, SB winner, face of the franchise, mutually released - had fqb in wilson most of the time w/ seahawks and getting old

Mike Vrabel - 54-45 record, 3 post season appearances including AFC championship appearance. Fired - had an above avg qb and possibly top 2 RBs during his time

Mike Tomlin - 173-100-2 record, SB champion. Likely being let go shortly. - had hof qb most of his tenure

Nick Sirianni - 34-7 record, 1 SB appearance, made playoffs every year. On the hot seat. - has an elite qb

Mike McCarthy - 167-102-2 record, 1 SB win, 8 Div titles. Likely to be fired today or tomorrow - had hof qb and has an elite qb

so all these great coaches have had at the minimum above avg qb while saleh has had 4 plays for rodgers, wilson, siemien, flacco, etc....while i have my reservations about saleh, we haven't seen what he can do w/ good qb

NY Jets68 likes this.
  16. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

No it's not. You are delusional. It's not even remotely close to a dumpster fire. How long have you been a fan of this team? Did you miss the last 15 years? Carolina is a dumpster fire. Arizona is a dumpster fire. This Jets team beat 3 playoff teams. Dumpster fire doesn't apply here. They aren't getting blown out every week. Jets fans just over react to everything that ever happens.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'd like to send you a mirror so you can see what delusional is, can you kindly send me your address?

Judging from your optimism I'd say I've been a fan as long and probably longer than you've been alive.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

im gonna stay on Belicheck for the moment. Belicheck sat in the room with Brady every day. Belicheck taught Brady how Defenses work. Not how to just read them, but how they work inside and out. Tom Brady was always a high motivation guy that put in work, that’s why he’s great. But Belicheck went above and beyond to teach him. Now let me ask you, do you think Saleh is in the QB room explaining Defense? Better yet, do you think Saleh can even explain a D that isn’t the basic Cover 3 he employs now? I’m dead serious. Do you think Saleh could explain in detail the nuances of a 3-4 D, 4-3 Tampa, Man to man concepts vs Zone in different packages? I don’t. Like he said, a monkey can run his Defense.

As for Saleh without a good QB, outside of that can you name me one thing he’s done on game day that potentially outwitted the opponent? Can you show me where he adjusted based on opponent? I’ll wait….

SOJAZ, REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with the criticism of Saleh and hope that Woody shocks us by firing him and hiring one of the excellent upgrades that are available right now, but the problem with the Jets is bigger than who the HC is. I posted a new thread that tries to summarize an article from The Atlantic today, "How a Stanford Professor Helped Lay the Foundation for This 49'ers Era"; https://theathletic.com/5187976/2024/01/17/49ers-john-lynch-kyle-shanahan-burke-robinson-stanford/ Paywall). Bottom line is that the Jets need to do a complete remaking of their team philosophy, and then make sure ALL decisions are in concert with the new one.

It's ironic that Saleh comes from the 49'ers and obviously was steeped in their approach, and I can hear this in things he says, but there are two major problems:

1. He doesn't know anything about offense.
    2. Joe Douglas isn't cut from the same 49'er tree, nor were the scouts, and the rest of the organization, so the Jets don't have a unified blueprint to build against.

This is why I think both Douglas and Saleh need to go.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The Jets finished 2023 in the bottom 5 of point differential along with Arizona and Carolina. We're a lot closer to them than you think. Point differential is more predictive of future W-L than simple record is.

We weren't getting blown out every week? No team gets blown out every week. We lost games by 20, 19, 26, 21, 30, and 17. We got blown out plenty, more than the vast majority of teams. During Saleh's tenure, we have more losses by double digits than total wins by any amount.

But sure, keep on believing we're in great shape.

The "pessimistic" Jets fans have been proven correct over time for years on end at this point. If you still think optimism is the correct stance until proven otherwise, that's fine. I just can't understand why anyone would logically believe that.

NCJetsfan, Brook!, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.