Is 2024 DOA without adding any new offensive coaching?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kronoking, Jan 8, 2024.

?

Can the 2024 Jets make the playoffs with Hackett as the only offensive mind in the coaching room?

1. Absolutely. Having ARod at QB negates the need for good coaching

2.1%
  2. Yes. Hackett can still be good enough with ARod as his QB and with the right player personal adds

20.8%
  3. No. We'll be better but not good enough. Good coaching matters

31.3%
  4. Hell No. This is more worst run franchise in sports nonsense

45.8%
  1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Curious to take the pulse on people's opinion about this. *Before* the hype machine and hope springs eternal stuff kicks in, and just like last year's early Hackett hire people simply start choosing to gloss over what an equally crippling decision this likely projects out to be latter (imo).

I believe everybody outside our FO with an invested interest in seeing this team win is currently in universal agreement that Hackett is flat out terrible at his job. Which in turn makes this surface level idea that a 41yo ARod is going to succeed at a playoff caliber level here without any additional supporting help just plain silly. It's an extremely shallow and ignorant line-of-thought take, and one that imo is going to end up killing the season off before it's even given a chance to rise above a lot of the less-then-ideal situation shortcomings that will already realistically be weighing our chances down to begin with.

So before the offseason actually follows through with this current plan, and before the endless "it is or isn't Rodgers' fault" fallout debates inevitably dominate the 2024 in-season talk, where are you weighing in on the 2024's offense's chances without adding another offensive mind to the coaching room right now?

2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers is kind of a good QB. He will obviously make a big difference, and he's basically a coach / coordinator on the field. It worked with Hackett in 20 and 21. It can work again.

Just sure up the line and get another Garrett Wilson caliber receiver. People need to get over the fact that the coaching staff is returning. That's not a bad thing, this team was dead in the water without Rodgers, I'm not blaming coaching for that, this team is a .500 team at best without Arod and we knew this going into the season.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Rodgers is to Hackett as what Peyton was to Gase.

It doesn't matter who the OC is when you have a HOF QB. When you have pumpkins at QB like Zach and Tim Boyle, obviously the OC is going to impact the game.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Rodgers is not going to make it through the season, so it would depend on how good we are while he’s still playing. If we’re 13-0 when he goes down we can make the playoffs with the same staff. If we’re 6-7 then we’ll be toast. Hackett is a moron.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how I think about it as well…I hated the Hack hire as soon as it was announced, and I only grudgingly got my head around it because it was clearly AR’s choice and regardless of the timing, it was done because AR wanted it that way. While you can make a case that the Jets were stupid enough to want Hack regardless of AR being here or not, as they’ve clearly had terrible OC hires in the past…I DO think it was done strictly with AR in mind.

Once you get past that, sure I think with AR at QB, it doesn’t matter as much if it’s Hack or someone else…AR, like Peyton as mentioned already, is a great enough QB that he understands the offense, he can read the defense, and he can change the plays as needed. So if AR is the QB, Hack can be fine.

However, if we need him to be a TRUE OC and coach up the team with a different QB, develop a strong game plan, develop a young QB, and deliver a strong offense, then I have ZERO faith in Hack to do any of that, as was proven this year. If we need him to lead an offense without AR in it, then I would fully expect a bottom three offense, just like this year proved.

NCJetsfan, JohnnyJet and SOJAZ like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If rumors are correct, Hackett is directly responsible for the cut-blocking crap that got Rodgers injured in the first place.

I expect more of the same and Rodgers to be on IR as early as week 3, but I'll wait to see what moves they make or fail to make this offseason before I chisel that one.

HomeoftheJets and JohnnyJet like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t trust Rodgers after a year off with an Achilles injury at 41 year old. I just don’t. I advocated for signing him, still stand by that. But given the severity of his injury coupled with his age and a year off of football, I really don’t have high hopes at all.

Jets81, papapump and Cman68 like this.
  8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Well, shit. With this thought process why in the fuck do we bother to PAY a damn O.C? May as well shoot that useless "cheddar" my way and call it day!!! What a crock-o-shit. I PRAY both of you are 100% freakin' wrong. Especially considering the rate at which backup QB's started this season. Oh, BTW, Rodgers could be the greatest QB that ever lived and that STILL won't fix Carter and his jack-wad o-line.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The 2024 season is already lost. If we're running it back with this offensive coaching staff, then there's nothing that Rodgers can do to overcome the awful coaching on the offensive line and at the coordinator position. There's no reason to expect anything other than another 7-10 or worse season next year that will, most likely, be even more painful and miserable than this one.

Bring on 2025.

NCJetsfan, JohnnyJet and AndyDrums like this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Why would you pray for us to be wrong?

mezzavo, Mogriffjr and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

I think a speed rusher is going to get past whoever the left tackle is and plant ar breaking this right clavicle in the third game.

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'd say that's fairly optimistic. I've got it happening sometime during the first game. :D:(

JohnnyJet likes this.
  13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's impossible to significantly upgrade an entire offensive line in an off season. (Another reason why the GM should go ASAP) That's basically what we have to do. Rodgers is going to get murder/death/killed behind whatever joke of a line we put out next year. It's going to be the same old, same old

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If Tippman and AVT can stay healthy, we draft a LT, sign a RT, we could be ok.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This coaching staff is in way over their heads.
    Saleh has not demonstrated ever that he is capable of out coaching an opponent.
    We losing the coaching battle aspect of the game week in and week out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win more than 5 games, but we will probably win a couple of meaningless games at the end to screw our draft position just enough.

I have this terrible feeling that none of Sauce, Garrett, Breece and JJ, our great draft of 2022 will be here for a second contract.

mezzavo, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Peyton was the offensive coordinator when he played. Rodgers wasn't; even with Hackett it was Matt LaFleur's offense. I don't think it will end well when it's only him and Hackett.

Tamba_Trio and JohnnyJet like this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have a feeling you're spot on with this prediction. These young men all come from winning backgrounds and work way too hard to watch ineptitude blow game after game followed by bullshit jingles and excuses. They saw what happened to ZW and probably vowed it won't happen to them. I think they all bail unless this entire Leadership team is bounced after '24 if a losing record is a lock.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Actually, it’s NOT impossible…Tanny did it in ONE offseason when he signed Woody and Faneca in free agency and drafted Brick and Mangold…and poof…instant top 5 OL.

Of course, we are not in the same boat this year clearly as we don’t have that kind of cap room nor do we have 2 first round picks, so yeah, I agree that for us this year…it will be VERY difficult to do. Which is crazy that JD has had 4 drafts already and 4 off seasons to fix it and yet we are worse off than when he started.

However, all that being said, if I had to lay out a plan, and I’m not sure who the free agents or draft prospects are so I don’t have details on who I would go get, but the approach to me seems like:

1. Restructure Tomlinson to lower his pay and/or cap number if he’ll do it…trying to avoid having to replace him as we have tackles to worry about…he’s not the best but at the right cap number he can hold down the fort for one more year
    2. Get a starting caliber tackle in free agency…not sure who’s available, but feels like our OT play was SO bad that there has GOT to be an upgrade available somewhere…I would even consider a tag and trade with Huff as part of the deal if we have to trade for an OT
    3. Use that first pick on the best available OT…hopefully one of the top 3 will be there…if not, maybe a trade back a few spots if that makes more sense

That also assumes AVT can come back healthy and play G all year…not really sure when he’ll be ready honestly.

but if we can do that, the OL would most likely be better than this year…even if not top 10.

Oh yeah, I would also fire that fucking useless OL coach…we were not the only team with injuries, and others have played better than ours…

mezzavo and Borat like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"If you keep doing the same old thing, you'll keep getting the same old results".

The NY Jets motto for 50+ years.

SOJAZ and JohnnyJet like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

is there precedent for this or you’re just believing this will happen?

I’m sure at least 3 if not all are staying if the money is there and they are worth it.