With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Simple, if we stay at ten, we go after the Offensive best player available. Be it OL, WR or TE. We should not over reach for an OL because of need. We should also spend the free agency going after a top OT.

chandler likes this.
  2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It depends how big a reach it is. Our need for an improved offensive line is so acute that a reach of 10 or 15 spots is no longer egregious. And pre-draft rankings are fallible anyway. If we take a tight end because we have him rated three or four spots above a tackle I will have the proverbial cow.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I’d keep Fields and power up around him with the picks. But it sure seems like Chicago wants to draft at QB at 1

4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

You seem to be making every excuse imaginable for why he isn’t a franchise qb 3 full years into his career. Franchise QBs are franchise QBs regardless of the excuses, you see who they are no matter what’s around them and who’s coaching. Sure, their numbers will dip some or go up some with less or more competence around them, but you can still see it. I can name a thousand examples. If you aren’t that guy 3 full seasons in, you aren’t that guy, and that’s statistically proven.

REVISion likes this.
  5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

There isn’t though. The jets decided after year 2 of Wilson to go in another direction. He only played this year due to injury, and he even got benched still. The bears gave fields an extra year, he still didn’t improve, and now people are actually saying they would give him a 4th year. Unreal

REVISion likes this.
  6. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be upset at all with Odunze. I think Penix is the real deal though, and I’d love to have him on the team. Unfortunately, we could just as easily ruin him.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

Odunze reminds me of JaMarr Chase

RexontheBeach likes this.
  8. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Excellent comparison. They don’t get the love coming from the PAC12. Penix Jr. is a winner too. People will find out fairly quickly, I’d say. I really want Penix, but I don’t see him falling to 10. Odunze might, and he would be the ultimate compliment to G.Wilson. Might even end up the better of the two.

RochesterJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. ukjetsfan

There is though. The Jets had not given up on Zach. Saleh (bafflingly) has admitted to thinking that Zach would be a good-enough starter after watching Rodgers play for four weeks or so. They had temporarily brought in a better QB, but they had not given up on Zach. Obviously not as clear-cut as the Fields situation, but then Fields has shown at least a bit more than Zach.

SOJAZ and RexontheBeach like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I think both could be gone. Penix has a chance to be there at 10 just because he's a little unconventional and the GMs like copycat robots. I myself was on the fence about him before too

Odunze I wouldn't be surprised if gets taken ahead of Marvin Harrison Jr. when its all said and done (draft workouts, interviews, etc.)

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

3 years is more than enough time to start judging stats. The magic number is actually 2 years for young QBs. I went down a massive rabbit hole on this when we were trying to decide whether to get rid of Darnold after his 2nd year.

Fields likely is who he is at this point - a bottom third QB. There's a chance he notably improves but it's tiny (around a 5% chance).

This data is based on reviewing the careers of dozens of young QBs, so there's no argument that Fields has just had especially tough surrounding circumstances. The vast majority of highly drafted young QBs find themselves in bad environments, otherwise the teams that chose them wouldn't have been drafting high enough to do so.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. REVISion

You're both kind of right. They didn't entirely give up on Zach but they basically did. The smartest move would've been to trade him after year 2 though.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO If Fuaga is also gone at 10, along with the top2, there is no reaching out ten more spots for an OL, you grab a stud WR that we desperately need or a day one TE starter like Bowers and get rid of the highly paid non contributor we have. Or trade down some.

14. REVISion

I'd be shocked if this happens unless MHJ completely bombs the combine. He has basically everything you want in a prospect - family pedigree, WR-factory college, measurables, production.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79 and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. REVISion

The tough situation we find ourselves in at 10 is this:

We need an OT more than anything, but there's a pretty good chance the first tier of OTs will be gone by our pick. On the other hand, there's a strong likelihood that a tier 1 WR will be available (either Nabers or Odunze) and that the absolute best TE will be available in Bowers.

Pepsiguy5 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. ukjetsfan

This is a reasonable take. I do wonder if those two really good games he played this year may squeeze a slightly higher pick in a trade? At least we can say “look, we don’t have a clue how to use this guy, but he CAN do it sometimes!”

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The right team would use Bowers like the 49ers use Kittle and Deebo. The Jets will turn him into a fullback that catches play action passes in the flat against man coverage.

Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and 4 others like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would be dumbfounded if the Jets pick Latham or Mims with #10. These guys are late 1st, second round talent, not unlike Dawand Jones. Granted Jones slipped probably because of his weight all the way to 4th and Browns got lucky there, but he is a second round talent player and had a better tape than these two guys. This is not someone you select with #10 overall. If we are trading out of #10 and get late first or early second, sure. But these guys are far from sure thing.

Fuaga is the guy at #10 or even with a slight trade down in case someone wants to overpay for a QB. And with Fuaga I need to see his age and measurements. I know he's got the height and bulk, but not sure about arm length and athletic ability, which will play a huge role in NFL. If that checks out, I would be happy with him at 10, though of course Alt and Olu would be ideal. They won't last though. High probability LT studs are not easy to find. I wish teams would pick QBs, Bower, etc, and one of them slides somehow, but this is very unlikely.

19. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

No excuses. I just prefer to actually scratch below the surface to understand the "why" factor involved instead of just defaulting to some broadest of strokes accusation of failure.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Verse will be taken in the top 10. I’d imagine Laiatu Latu has an insane combine and might get in as well. He has a crazy get off.

I think it’s possibly Terrion Arnold jumps too and goes ahead of Kool-aid. He has a big reputation of loving football and is very coachable.

KY Jets Fan likes this.