The Tank Is On - Tankathon 2023 (Jets pick 10th in 2024 Draft)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Nov 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

getting to 5 would be great as at least 2 QBs and Harrison are locks to go in the top 3 so we would be assured of one of the top tackles (unless of course the Jets use it as an excuse to draft the highest rated defensive line player which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest)

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Dallas is locked into the #2 seed with a win and #1 wildcard if they lose and Eagles win. #2 seed is guaranteed 2 home games if they win the first and only go on the road for NFC Championship if SF wins. That is way too much to give up by sitting starters against Wash. Eagles play the NFC south winner as #1 Wildcard which is a pretty easy game so there is a better chance they rest starters or only play some for part of the game.

Jax needs to win or they could be out of the playoffs as the winner of the Hou / Indy game wins the division with Jax loss and with Bal getting #1 seed and bye there is no reason for them to play starters against Pitt so Pitt with a win and Jax loss makes the playoffs.

KC only moves up from #3 seed to #2 if Buff beats Mia. They probably go with starters as long as Buff is within a score in the 2nd half. That should be enough to beat the Chargers.

Given that it looks like they may move up to #7 but not to #5 in the draft with a loss to Cheatriots.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

#7 is getting risky to get one of the two top tackles as both are looking to go very early :( Anything later than that and I'd say there was very little chance of getting one unless someone blows up at the combine (which does happen to be fair)

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I know we are all upset about missing Alt or Foshanu but don’t sleep on Fuaga. He is a plug and play player at RT who is dominant in the run game. Alt may struggle as a rookie because he is so damn big at 6 9 and will always lose the leverage battle as a rookie. We should be very happy getting Fuaga.

ouchy and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Who are we kidding? We're going to win on Sunday 13 to 9 and pick number 11

HomeoftheJets, ouchy and REVISion like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

0 need to stress about draft position at this point.

Even if we don't get Olu or Alt, there will be an OT available when we pick that will upgrade the OL. This is also assuming we do nothing to upgrade either OT spot via FA or trade.

That being said, I'll still be pulling for a loss to the Pats this week haha :D

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think we will absolutely sign an OT in free agency, and then use the top pick on an OT is also good…in fact, if JD doesn’t sign an OT in free agency, he should be fired right then and there…I get all the injuries, but after 5 years on the job, including 4 drafts, there is NO excuse for our OL to be this bad. None. Every fucking team has injuries, including the Browns who just whacked us.

Enough is enough

Brook! and ouchy like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas shouldn't even have the chance to screw up the O-line fix this offseason. He's had a half a decade to get it right and it's worse than it was when he took over. Why would anyone, Woody included, think that this clown will fix it this offseason when he hasn't gotten anywhere close to doing so in the previous half decade.

A tackling dummy would be a better GM than what we currently have.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD's predictable utter failure at OT spot essentially put us in position to have to draft OT with our first round pick. I have been looking at the draft and basically there are only 3 OTs I would be happy with in this order: Alt (clear #1), Olu, Fuaga. I preface this by saying this may change as I watch more and combine results come in (say if Fuaga happens to have short arms, etc), but I would be VERY disappointed not to come out with one of these 3. And this is a very likely possibility if we win tomorrow. A win tomorrow means we are outside of top 10. At that point I don't see one of these 3 guys being there, I just don't. Yes, right now Fuaga is lower, but that will change by the time draft rolls around. Last year Wright went #10, and Fuaga to me is a much better prospect. Basically with these 3, JD has to pick one available, and he can't really miss. Who knows if we end up with #7 or higher, it might even be Alt.

After these 3, there are a lot of late 1st/early 2nd guys, like JC Latham (unimpressed), Morgan, Mims, a few others. May turn out good, but also higher bust/lower tier player probability. Honestly, if we don't get top 3, I would rather trade out and get more assets and go for volume. So, we are in position, where a loss against NE basically guarantees one of the top OTs, and maybe a chance at Alt. A win most likely take us out of blue chip OT market. That is a HUGE consequence of this game. I know some people say they want to win, stick it to Bill, and frankly I think it is silly. What are we sticking to him, the guy won 6 rings? He will have beat us 15 times in a row instead of 16? Who cares. It will not give us any momentum in 2024. You know what will? A blue chip tackle. Something we will not be in position to get if we don't lose. A lot on the line in this one.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

Worth the listen. I agree with with majority of what you are saying. Fuaga is way closer to Olu than people want to admit.

https://x.com/ConnorJRogers/status/1743275951117443144?s=20

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

100%

But you know…the Jets are BEAST at winning meaningless games and pointing to them as statement wins … it’s all bullshit

Lose the fucking game and improve draft position as much as possible…it’s the most logical thing in the world

REVISion and Borat like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The truth is, the season was over in November after we lost to Miami. Yeah, we were not mathematically eliminated, but it looks like even winning out may not have helped. After that, it's all meaningless padding of the record at the expense of the future. Washington tanked like hell and still almost beat us accidentally when they felt they were down enough to put their best QB in. Almost blew up in their face, but after they took the lead, they called only running plays and let us score to win the game. Philly a few years back benched Hurts for Sudfeld to tank last meaningless game to get #6 overall pick. They then traded down to #12 and got additional 1st and 4th rounder. And I think they also traded that 1st to get another 1st and additional second. All because of losing 1 meaningless game. After that they used the assets to build a SB roster.

I am not even saying for JD to do all that Roseman did, who was his mentor btw, but this does ensure we can get a blue chip OT prospect we desperately need. Heck, depending on how the draft falls, we may even trade down a couple of spots with QB needy team if Alt is gone but the other two are still there, and still ensure one of them.

REVISion, ouchy and barfolomew like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

With Olu we can be reasonably sure he can start at LT and protect the QB. That has a lot of value, even if running game needs work. He also just turned 21 last month. Fuaga appears a beast at running game and played RT, which means he faced lesser competition than Olu. His age is also not listed anywhere, but I do know he is a 4 year player joining 2020. He might be a year or even more older than Olu. As of right now I would prefer Olu, but like you said it may be close and I would be happy with either.

The concern I have is that "winning" and getting out of top 10 likley means we will not get either of them. Then we are relying on JD to identify a good OT among inferior end 1st/2nd round talent. Which should be possible for a good GM, but no slam dunk, particularly for JD.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. dawinner127

Yeah for sure. He is pretty poor run blocker. I don't really remember the specifics off the top of my head, but that pod NFL Stock Exchange with Sikkemma and Rogers really dives into all of their top 5 tackles. It's worth the listen if you have about an hour during a commute or something.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  15. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Big day fellas:

1. Need the L to increase the likelihood we end up with one of the 3 best tackles

2. Need the Raiders to win to reduce the always dangerous likelihood our terribly run franchise ends up feeling comfortable enough with the potential "it's just a harmless pick swap if that is what it's gonna take to get this done. We'll still get our guy!" concession that will certainly be on the negotiation table when whoever is GM'ing for Las Vegas bends a desperate JD/Woody over the table on the "we have to have this" Davonte trade.

3. I wanna see and taste those Pats tears on draft day when that 3rd QB comes off the table before they have a chance to grab one.

REVISion, ouchy and Borat like this.
  16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Is Becton salvageable at a reduced price ?

Coming off 2 years of inactivity, did we REALLY expect him to be good at pass-blocking (am more concerned he didn't dominate at run blocking).

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Great podcast, thank you. I wish Connor Rogers were part of our staff. If I am JD, I am hiring this guy. Even in that 2022 draft where JD hit all the top picks, Connor had them all rated very high also. Plus had significantly outperformed JD in his mocks in all other drafts. During 2020 when 11th pick rolled, he kept banging the drum how Wirfs was the only choice, and it's not even close. How if we don't pick him, he is just at loss at what we are doing. We all know what happened next.

Connor says Alt is the best tackle prospect he evaluated, tied with Sewel. That is a very high praise. He might not be available to us even if we "lose" today, but it does give us some chance at him, which is exciting. And if not, we could get definitely Olu, who is a young consensus all American. Connor is higher on Olu than Sikkemma, but both agree these are top 2 prospects. I think everyone agrees with that. Alt of course would be the ultimate prize, and knowing our luck even if we end up with #7 or #8, he will go 1 spot ahead, but I can live with a 21 year old LT prospect in Olu, who is amazing at pass pro.

If we "win" and end up with 11 or 12, Fuaga may still be in play potentially, but I have a bad feeling, all 3 will be gone by then. Or JD picks someone else who will bust. 7/8 pick makes it idiot proof for JD, which is what he needs when it comes to OT. Big game coming up.

ouchy and dawinner127 like this.
  18. dawinner127

It really is a terrific podcast. I just listened to their WR one the other day as well. They do these "How to fix X team?", super interesting stuff and perfect length for the commutes.

Connor is also a die hard Jets fan, he does the post game on SNY. Like you said in 2020, guy was all in on Wirfs over Becton, I linked the clip below. He really would be a good FO guy, dude knows a lot about the draft process and prospects.

https://x.com/CaliJets/status/1740783059639869462?s=20

Borat likes this.
  19. dawinner127

[​IMG]

If NOLA wins, pat’s cannot get 2OA

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

This game is eerily similar to the one we lost vs the Rams

Great special teams play and Becton looking dominant.

I always remember him walking off the field like we won the SB lol….even though that landed him Zach Wilson

I think we win this game and miss out on elite talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.