Saleh postgame presser-He needs to go!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Dec 17, 2023.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yup, and they have previous head coaching experience! A full blown unicorn as far as the Jets are concerned!

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams is a mediocre to bad coach and a shitty person. The ultimate fake tough guy. Fuck him and keep him far away from here.

The_Darksider likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If you need elite talent on both sides of the ball to be a good coach, you're not a good coach.

We see good coaches have success without stacked rosters all the time. McVay, Shanahan, Carroll, LaFleur, Stefanski, O'Connell, Vrabel, Ryans, Steichen, etc.

Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Saleh reminded me of Sam Darnold after the ghosts game.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Tough guy coaches fail just as much as nice guy coaches - it's all (or at least mostly) about the talent on the field

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Watch the Ravens what a well coached team on both sides of the ball.... HC is a CEO but knoes his X and O... RS has proven that he is incapable of Being a HC. Indeed, I read an art by Costello of the NYP where he said RS changed the culture, I was like what... he has double digit loses for 3 years... I submit the only thing this stiff has enabled is losing consistently and being undisciplined.

papapump likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This!

Great coaches to me do a few things well

1. Adapt their scheme to the players instead of adapting players to their scheme
    2. Make the sum of the parts better than you would expect them to be based on players alone…or put another way, they don’t have rosters full of superstars…and when their players leave, they don’t do as well on other teams…as much as I hate to say it, Belichick is the epitome of this
    3. They lead men and players play hard for them
    4. They put out a disciplined team that doesn’t shoot itself in the foot too often…coaching won’t prevent all stupid penalties but their teams will consistently be in the bottom of the league on penalties
    5. They are creative with their schemes and make good adjustments consistently

Saleh hasn’t shown much of any of these other than number 3 as the players do seem to like him and play hard for him

Parcells was great at 1, 2, and probably 4

IIMeanDeanII, papapump and REVISion like this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Text conversation between myself and my good friend, Vinny (diehard Jets fan):

Me: "It must be nice being a fan of a team going to the POs."

V: "If you're a Jets fan then you're just excited for 9 months of hype. Yom Kippur looms in Jetslandia." ==> (Long running joke that the season is over by Yom Kippur)

Me: "Yom Kippur has been moved to St. Paddy's Day, if you recall."

V: "Yeah, but this year we have the albatross hype train till week one at least."

Me: "It's an excruciating situation. We're on a forever treadmill loop of suck."

V: "The 41 year old who will be two years removed from playing a game or taking a hit who will be on year 13 since his one and only Championship coming off a major injury improving his overall Championship Game record to 2-4 will be back to lead us to the Promised Land. I just heard our 17-33 Head Coach say so yesterday, so what can go wrong?"

Me: "PAIN."

Happy New Year, everyone!

mezzavo likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

What do you think Saleh's record would be with Lamar Jackson at QB, a halfway decent OL, and his original choice MLF at OC? And what do you think John Harbaugh's record would be with Zach Wilson, a bottom 5 OL, and Hackett forced on him? Harbaugh is a better coach than Saleh, but I'm pretty sure in that scenario, Saleh makes the playoffs and Harbaugh doesn't.

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't know how bad or how good individually in the bigger picture, but I'm willing to bet everything I have and more that the Wilson/Hackett/bad OL would be better with JH and the Ravens would be worse than they are with RS.

I'm more sure of that than I am of my own name.

11. HomeoftheJets

I agree with that considering Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the league. Plus Harbaugh would have probably threatened to resign if Douglas didn't get him a real QB after Rodgers went down. What I'm saying is that Saleh is like Bowles: a mediocre coach saddled with an awful front office. There are degrees of suck, and Douglas sucks significantly worse than Saleh.

The_Darksider likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

I can't disagree with that. That's been all of the Jets last few coaches. This one in particular seems particularly beleaguered, almost like he's being propped up and fed lines.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

For sure. The way I see it, Gase was truly awful, Saleh is like Bowles, Rex was great until the league figured out his defense and then he dropped into the Saleh/Bowles tier. Hackett is like Gase: truly awful.

papapump and The_Darksider like this.
  14. The_Darksider

Saleh does remind me so much of Bowles. Quiet, doesn't show much on the sidelines, doesn't seem to hold the players accountable, effectively inept at clock and game management - but a likable guy in general.

I was never a Rex fan, Saleh reminds me a little bit of Rex without the bravado. A lot of similar results, a lot of the same challenges, a lot of the same issues with the defense being the focus and no attention paid to the offense, clock management, game management, a lot of games they just didn't show up, a lot of games against bad teams that they just couldn't put away, etc. etc. etc. To Rex's credit, he did have those first couple of great seasons, but he also had a ready built team whereas Saleh never did - but that's kind of splitting hairs.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I agree Douglas is worse than Saleh, but idk about significantly so.

Saleh has fielded a great defense but it took elite talent to do it. The team is also consistently undisciplined which is entirely on coaching. We also get blown out all the time, another knock on coaching. I want to say we have more losses by 20+ than total wins during Saleh's tenure.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Never once have I thought we have a clear coaching advantage than the other sideline with Bob Saleh

REVISion likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

I agree about the talent part on the defense. But I don't think it's fair to use point differential arguments to criticize Saleh. You could just as easily argue that point differential is due to talent, and coaching matters more in close games, which are the ones we're winning. Imagine it was the other way around and our losses were close. Then people would be criticizing Saleh for whatever decisions he made that didn't work out and pin the close losses on him. The narrative would be that we have a good roster, and the coaching is what's holding us back from having a good record to match it.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but his MO is as a motivational players coach. Motivated players don’t get blown out this much

19. HomeoftheJets

After all the Zach+OL+Hackett debacles in the first half (that offense was generationally bad), it's a miracle the defense was motivated for as long as it was.

mezzavo and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

"The Jets lead the league with 148, including a league-high 77 on offense. This isn't a one-year thing. In Saleh's three seasons, the Jets have the third-most penalties (379)"
    -from Cimini's piece today. Evidence of what a lot of us have been suggesting-- that the Jets lack discipline and attention to detail.

NY Jets68 and REVISion like this.