We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Duane Brown done for the year: https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-place-ol-duane-brown-on-injured-reserve-sign-te-zack-kuntz
    Incredible to think that JD was relying on this guy to protect the blind side.

Let's recap the state of the OLine JD built.

Starters
    Duane (washed completely, no longer NFL caliber, IR)
    Laken (bottom quarter/third in NFL)
    CMG (The worst C in NFL, IR)
    AVT (Top quarter/third in NFL, IR when forced to play out of position at RT again)
    Becton (bottom quarter/third in NFL)

Top Back-ups
    Max (not NFL caliber)
    Billy (not NFL caliber)
    Tipp (below average/bottom third in NFL, but rookie with upside)
    Wes (one of the worst Gs in NFL, IR)
    Colon (waived with 0 contributions for us, but playing average for Arizona)
    Carter Warren (bottom quarter in NFL, injury prone from College days, continued in NFL, but older rookie with possible upside)
    Roger Saffold (Where is Roger Saffold, top trade deadline acquisition?)

Brutal. And not because of injuries. Only AVT injury was impactful, which we should have been prepared for as same thing happened last year when he was moved our of position. Just brutal, period.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why the hell did they wait so long? Add this to the list of bizarre dealings with OL injuries. It's like somehow Joe Douglas has not figured out that OL in their late 30s are guaranteed to be injury prone.

Now we get to see the most athletic TE that can't run a route. Signing a K to the PS is interesting. I wonder if Greg the Leg wants to hang them up after this season.

stinkyB, REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read too much into it. Probably just another one of those absolutely asinine Douglas signings that makes absolutely no sense, like that lineman we signed back in October who still hasn't gotten on the field.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Greg has an injury and is questionable. But this kicker we signed kinda sucks. Wish we had him kicking that 54 yard FG last week. :)

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

So, in other words, Douglas thinks he's the next Vinatieri.

6. abyzmul

Aside from the anomalies of Zeurlein and Morstead, that kicker fits the description of every other one we have had. Didn't we have like 5 kickers in a season once?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Let’s wait til Wednesday to sign a kicker when we play Thursday

8. abyzmul

Well unless they plan on elevating the kicker to the active roster 20 minutes before the game starts, I think it will be Zeurlein.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Carter Warren unfortunately sucked. That's 4 out of 5 games he played where he has been pretty awful. Better than Max or Billy, but that's not saying much. Carter, though a rookie, will be 25 in a few weeks. Not sure we can rely on him to be even a back-up next year, particularly given injury history. As of right now - maybe end of the bench depth for 2024. Still need two starters and two good back-ups at OT for next year.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The old rookie thing is also bizarro-land. Warren, Will McDonald, Jermaine Johnson, Zaire Barnes, Micheal Clemons, Zach Kuntz, Brandon Echols, Jonathan Marshall. All 24 year old rookies. I get that it’s a little bit more common with the extra Covid year of eligibility in college but it’s like the Jets have been actively seeking it out.

When you take 4th-7th round guys at older ages, they’re likely very boom or bust if they’re going to contribute. It’s either right away or they’re trash and will be cut.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You know who needs a bit of this anger coming his way? Keith Carter: https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/keith-carter

There is an entire write up about this dude and not ONE mention, anywhere, about his O-lines ranking anywhere when it comes to passing. In case this clown show of a team hasn't yet noticed, this is 2023 and the NFL is a PASSING league!!! I think, as we are, rightfully so, obliterating Saleh, Hackett and JD, there needs to be a bit of "love" tossed Carter's way. There are a number of posts, in different threads, about how o-lines on other teams are dealing with injuries and, somehow, seem to field a presentable o-line. Why aren't the Jets capable of doing this? Yes, we have shit talent, but we most certainly can't have the cornerstone on "barely NFL" talent on our o-line. There are so many injuries, league wide, on the o-line that there are a LOT of barely NFL ready men suiting up. WHY is it that ONLY the Jets and, to a degree, the Panthers so shitty on the o-line? I can't speak to the Panthers but son of a bitch, what is the Jet's problem?

I think we need to make sure Carter gets his as well.

Borat, stinkyB and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I really think Douglas has fat guy bias. He just never seems to understand that being enormous+old is a recipe for injury problems. Joints don't like it when you weigh 300+ lbs.

Brook! likes this.
  13. REVISion

It's annoying because younger=better has been established draft wisdom for a long time now. Yet another example of us being far behind the curve on established trends.

Brook! and Borat like this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

NO GAS
    ALL CAKE

The_Darksider likes this.
  15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

THANK YOU. Came here to say this why isn't this guys name all over this board?? He needs to go. Jets are not the only injury prone line! Browns just clinched the playoffs they lost both tackles and 2nd string C.

4 out of 5 starting OL for the Texans have been hurt they still managed to compete this year.
    I guarantee Tomlinson will go somewhere else next year and look competent. Yes the talent isn't great and there are injuries but the line being THIS bad is on coaching.

mattyd99, Borat and mezzavo like this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Draft OL, OL and OL

mezzavo likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Exactly, look at how many of our former crappy OL players actually look serviceable elsewhere.
    This team has been devoid of any quality coaches top to bottom for a decade.

The entire thing needs to be blown up (again).
    Even in a blowout loss to Cleveland there were several instances that showed how inept Saleh and his crew are.

18. abyzmul

I think he'll be the only one that gets fired this year.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I guess if you believe Woody, who should be waxing the lot of them, he probably will be the only guy that gets canned. Deservedly so, too! Unfortunately, it will not be enough.

<sigh> This season isn't even in the "books" yet and I've already written off 2024 & 2025. I'm not even angry anymore, just despondent. Unlike a lot on this board, I don't follow any other leagues. Don't care for basketball, baseball is boring as hell unless you are in the stands and...well, there just isn't any other sport worth wasting my time on. There always is curling...yuuuuup, wooooooop....heeeyyyyyyyy.....yip!!!!! So I basically follow the Jets year round...................for now. I know, glutton for punishment...

In my digging through coaches, not sure how I missed that Leon Washington is a special teams coach! How in the hell did I miss that?

Is Bill Callahan available? He'd smack our o-line into shape. I'd say we need to start a movement to get Eric Bienemy here but, in true Jets fashion, he'll be a H.C. somewhere else THIS coming season and we'll lose our shot because are still emplying Bevis and Butthead. He's a disciplinarian and, that alone, should get us a whole 120 yds. more of offense in simple penalty reductions.

Can't believe Saleh can't figure out that his bullshit, good buddy with the players attitude with NO punishments, is WHY this team has no discipline on that field. Hell, when Bill Parcells was coaching, Bechton would be on the bench for being penalized so much. In fact, that would have happened IN GAME! "Go sit your ass down until you figure out how to stop getting dumb ass penalties!" Miss those days.

NY Jets68, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  20. REVISion

However much anyone thinks the Jets need to clean house, it needs to be cleaned more than that. Scouts, trainers, coaches. So much of it has to change.

Borat and ouchy like this.