Bryce Huff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 2, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well maybe because the nobody else wanted him and the Jets gave him a chance when nobody else did

2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You're cute.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We just drafted WMD in the first round.
    JD might consider Huff expendable if he wont take a sweetheart deal.

JetDan likes this.
  4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I'd be feeling a lot better with JSN on the roster going into 2024.

But we drafted a developmental pass rusher. I'd rather have one less defensive weapon going into 2024, with an offensive asset- with how many holes we have on that side.

I still can't believe Joe D made this pick

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

After not having a good pass rusher from 2006-2022. I don’t want to hear bryce huff is expendable. JJ and Will McDonald are on rookie contracts. There is plenty to sign Huff. If you need to make a cap cut on the line other than Carl Lawson. It can be JFM who’s skill set is easier to replace then Huff

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Was JJ a developmental pass rusher?

7. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Definitely

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Seems like we re spending a ton of high salaries on defensive personnel.

teamgreen likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Who said anything about a discount?

Things could blow up in FA tho if a desperate GM with too much cap steps in. That’s what you try to avoid. From the player standpoint it removes the risk of injury prior to next March.
    Not looking at a discount though pay him what he’s worth.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The player and their agent will always view signing early as a discount because they didn’t get to shop around for the best possible price. Even if the Jets theoretically would’ve given them a better deal earlier than when he he hits the open market (which usually isn’t really true anyways).

He’d be silly to take an early in-season offer from the Jets and a lot of times players and agents close talks as soon as the season starts anyways.

11. BacktoQueens

We have more Offensive players over 10M than Defensive.
    Problem is they all suck outside of Rodgers.
    Zach, Lazard, Uzmoah, and Tomlinson.

On the Defense I’d think about trading or cutting JFM.
    Good player but replaceable, and I’d rather keep the heat Huff brings off the Edge.

12. BacktoQueens

And yet teams extend player contracts mid season all the time.
    Except the Jets. Especially with JD who I don’t believe has ever done this in his 5 years.

It’s gotta be a fair offer of course.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The players that are extended usually aren’t guys with $6 million in career earnings. Huff has one shot realistically at testing the market and he will concede that for a rotational spot with the Jets?

He’s also an odd case in that he’s younger than most that hit the market at 25. I think he can get a massive offer from a team with a lot more cap space and I don’t know why he or his agent would see it any differently.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

JFM signed an extension midseason right before they went to London right? Then he gave up a touchdown while covering Kyle Pitts IIRC?
    [​IMG]

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

The player could bet on themselves and take a chance, and sometimes they do.
    40+M to ease any concerns against injury is hard to turn down tho. One injury now could jeopardize all of that value.
    There’s also benefit to staying in a system that works for you, and a place you like.

thinking about it, staying in a place with success and stability is a big draw.
    Maybe that’s what we are missing, as we’ve had neither the last 5 years, and it’s possible our leadership either gets canned this offseason, or heads into a lame duck year in 2024.
    That instability could be a huge factor for Huff.
    But to our knowledge, has JD even tried at any point?

I think you right on that signing being mid season.
    I don’t recall any others in 5 years.

Can’t fault the big man on trying to cover Pitts tho lol. That’s a heads up play by QB identifying the mismatch.

#135 BacktoQueens, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Mogriffjr and dawinner127 like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The season is over literally in two weeks. What would be the point for Huff to sign extension now? Last off-season or early in the season he could have given SOME discount because there is a risk playing entire season, maybe getting hurt or not performing as well. So it was possible, like in JFM's case that he could have taken a little bit of a smaller bag but well in advance because the Jets took these risks. But with two weeks left, that ship has sailed. I mean Huff is not even a starter here behind JFM and JJ, plus there is #15 overall pick who Saleh is saying will be the superstar as #3. There will be teams that will offer Huff a starting spot, a huge bag, and all the reps he can handle. I think the best at this point we can to is tag Huff, and then probably trade him.

The truth is, JD pissed away the opportunity to keep Huff longer term. And a lot of people were saying since the beginning of last year when they benched him and made inactive to start the season that Huff needs to play more. Certainly it was obvious by the end of last season. Smart thing to do would have been to extend him last off-season at a decent # and draft OL help in the 1st. Instead we basically drafted his replacement, will end up losing him, and fucked up the OLine in the process. We gotta call it for what it is, JD fucked this one up.

BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Saleh's system is unintendedly designed to do this. Huff will never get a true starting shot in this system because of the ridiculous rotation, but on another team he would probably not have had the exposure to break out like he did because he would have been getting backup reps.

This system is designed to let players break out and leave. It's nice for the comp pick points I guess.

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Huff than JFM. JFM is an ok player, but twice a year he had back breaking penalties that under our current build cost us games. The latter is not his fault.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Franklin-Myers will cost the Jets $16 million against the cap in 2024

20. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Dang. I love me some JFM but not at that price.