Acute Rodgers Fatigue

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Since1969, Dec 20, 2023.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Rodgers spent his last 3 seasons in GB driving the FO and fanbase nuts with retirement threats, which were not just about headlines, but getting his way, and constantly trying to undermine their GM just for drafting Jordan Love. Yeah, the guy went on a multi year tirade to fire a GM just for drafting a future QB - so don't wonder why we didn't have a good backup this season.

Then it was a long bloody battle about getting a new contact cause he was MVP, which was also weighted heavily about firing the GM. He finally got it, causing the team to have to trade other talent, including Adams. After winning the battle and getting a huge 3 year 150 million deal, he announces he's not sure he wants to play anymore and goes into a darkness retreat. The level of passive aggressive manipulation is off the charts.

On one hand he was an MVP in GB, and on the other he was a big issue for their FO. So much so they decided MVP or not - they didn't want him anymore. I don't care how good a player is. You have to be extremely desperate to go after a guy like that. Anyone thinking he is not leveraging his situation with the Jets to get everything he wants, is mistaken.

Since1969 likes this.
  2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I am sick of hearing about him too, but I'm not as angry at him as a lot of others are. It is the Jets stupidity for giving into this stuff and allowing it all to happen. A team with a backbone, a team with a clue, an organization that had people who know how to run a team, would never have brought him here in the first place if there were conditions attached. A solid organization with a winning culture would never have gathered everybody to fly out to California to beg him to come here. I was laughing my ass off while my heart was breaking when that was happening.

So if Aaron Rodgers is a narcissist and attention whore, shame on us for not realizing that going in. Or worse, for not caring.

ColoradoContrails, papapump and ouchy like this.
  3. The_Darksider

In the words of the immortal John Candy in one of the funniest movies ever made, "if they told you Wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?"

barfolomew likes this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

In My Cousin Vinny Joe Pesci asks Marisa Tomei, "Are you sure about that"... So, I'll mimic Joe and ask, Are you sure about that." I find them pretty fen stiupid myself but hell, I been a NYJ fan for over 50 years so what does that tell you about my mental capacity.

mezzavo, papapump, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You should have your head examined for termites. :)

barfolomew likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This article reads pretty correct to me.

Aaron Rodgers Dangled Hope for a Historic Comeback. All the Jets Got in Return Was Failure.

Rodgers seemed to convince the Jets he could return from Achilles surgery faster than any player in NFL history. Believing him cost the Jets their season.

By Nora Princiotti Dec 20, 2023, 6:20am EST

“Give me the timetables. Give me all the things that you think can, should, or will happen, because all I need is that 1 little extra percent of inspiration. Give me your doubts, give me your prognostications, and then watch what I do.”
    —Aaron Rodgers, September 15, 2023

“Being medically cleared as 100 percent healed is not realistic at 14 weeks.”
    —Aaron Rodgers, December 19, 2023

Well, there you have it. Two days after the New York Jets were officially eliminated from playoff contention following a 30-0 loss to the Dolphins, and a day before the team would have to make a final decision on whether he would remain on injured reserve for the rest of the year, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said in his weekly paid appearance on The Pat McAfee Show that he will not recover from the Achilles injury he suffered in Week 1 in time to play again this season. His purported bid to beat all previous timelines for recovery after surgery has fallen short.

To be clear, nothing about this is surprising. Since it will not happen this season, Rodgers will most likely return to football activities with no restrictions at offseason practices in April, which puts him almost exactly in line with the recovery timeline the medical community he so resents considers typical for athletes returning from Achilles surgery. The update here is that the 40-year-old quarterback is not a medical marvel, and the 1 little extra percent of inspiration, it turns out, was less relevant to Rodgers’s return than the rates at which fibroblasts release collagen proteins and at which those proteins organize themselves into the tightly packed bundles that make up a strong tendon. What a shock.

The fact that this story has been covered breathlessly for months stems primarily from Rodgers’s unparalleled ability to make himself the NFL’s main character. Within days of his injury, Rodgers had made a series of bold and attention-grabbing pronouncements about his intention to return, including that it would “shock some people” and also something about the healing powers of dolphin sex noises. He has spent much of the season weaving a dramatic comeback narrative, from McAfee’s bully pulpit and other friendly confines, without ever having to back it up.

In Week 9, after the Jets lost to the Chargers, Rodgers was picked up on a hot mic telling Los Angeles safety Derwin James, “Give me a few weeks,” presumably when asked when he’d be back on the field. He backtracked two days later on McAfee’s show, claiming that he said so “tongue in cheek.”

“It’d be nice to be able to be back in a couple weeks,” Rodgers said. “That’s probably not anywhere near a realistic timeline. It could be a few, it could be a lot. It’s more of a phrase that didn’t have a specific timetable. I said it smiling, joking.”

The following week, though, he told NBC’s Melissa Stark that his goal was to return in mid-December. Days after that, he disputed that report, again on McAfee’s show, even though he was the source of it. The pattern has always been entirely transparent. Rodgers makes a big claim when he’s got the spotlight on him, like on that Sunday Night Football broadcast, then retreats or says he was just kidding when pressed on it—when he’s even pressed at all.

Rodgers seems to have been working hard at his rehab, but what he was suggesting he could do was beat the previous fastest return-to-play timeline after Achilles surgery by over a month. (In 2021, then-Rams running back Cam Akers, who was 22 when his injury occurred, compared to Rodgers, who was 39, underwent the same “speed bridge” procedure as Rodgers and returned to play after five months.) As Rodgers himself admitted Tuesday, it’s unrealistic to believe he had a real shot at this unprecedented recovery. To take his comeback attempt seriously was to believe one of the NFL’s most unreliable narrators on medical science and basic logic.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what the Jets seem to have done. Some portion of maintaining a strong relationship with Rodgers seems to depend on justifying his distorted reality, and the Jets spent the past three months indulging his comeback bid at the expense of trying to salvage their season. The team anointed Rodgers its savior in the offseason and, when he went down four snaps into its first game, decided keeping him on that pedestal was more important than attempting to save itself.

While he spent the first part of his rehab at home in Malibu, coaches fawned over his willingness to FaceTime into some offensive meetings. Rodgers, on—you guessed it!—The Pat McAfee Show in September, talked about going over the defensive schemes of the next opponent, the New England Patriots, with players and coaches, though passing game coordinator Todd Downing described his contributions slightly differently: “It’s more like, ‘We miss our brother and want him to be part of the meeting,’” Downing told ESPN.

When quarterback Zach Wilson, who has started 11 of 14 games for the team this season but was benched for third-stringer Tim Boyle for two games after Thanksgiving, was reportedly reluctant to take the job back, it was Rodgers who called and urged him to do it, according to The Athletic. Rodgers has disputed this account, but in any case, he wound up in the middle of the story, railing against the “character assassination” of Wilson and criticizing the Jets for having what he assumed to be an internal leak.

Once he returned to practice on a limited basis three weeks ago, Jets games seemed to take a back seat in favor of media coverage that chronologized his every throw or move. Just last week, the biggest news in Florham Park, New Jersey, was that Rodgers reportedly leaped and intercepted a pass during a seven-on-seven drill. (The Jets are also … apparently … letting their 40-year-old injured quarterback play scout team linebacker?)

This is all pretty silly, but mostly harmless. What’s not is how the Jets have treated the quarterback position since Rodgers’s injury. While they’ve been feeding the ESPN-industrial complex, they completely tanked their very real chances to be a playoff team by continuing to keep Wilson as their starting quarterback for the majority of the season.

Do not be gaslit into thinking there’s a reasonable justification for this. When Rodgers got hurt, it was widely assumed that they’d make some kind of stabilizing move at the position. Probably nothing flashy, but not nothing. The most they did was add Trevor Siemian to the practice squad.

They didn’t need great quarterback play to compete for a playoff spot, not in this murky AFC. It’s a clear testament to defensive-minded coach Robert Saleh that the team still appears to be playing hard, with a defense ranked third by DVOA and a special teams unit ranked fourth.

They just needed more than the league-worst expected points added per play and success rate that Wilson has given them. It’s hard to see how the Jets couldn’t have benefited from what Joe Flacco is giving the Browns right now or how it was necessary for Jacoby Brissett to hang around on the Commanders bench all season or how the Rams saw something in Carson Wentz—Carson Wentz!—that the Jets didn’t.

The only good explanation for the Jets’ failure to try to find a different solution at quarterback is that they didn’t want to upset Rodgers. They were able to trade for him, after all, only because of how his relationship with Green Bay soured. There’s also plenty of evidence that the Jets are willing to shoot themselves in the foot to assuage Rodgers’s roster preferences: Allen Lazard, the receiver the Jets gave $22 million guaranteed to in March, has 311 receiving yards and one touchdown on the season and was a healthy scratch three weeks ago against the Dolphins on Black Friday. Randall Cobb is earning $3 million to average 4 yards per game. Boyle, another friend of Rodgers, shockingly did not prove to be an upgrade over Wilson and was eventually cut. So instead of making a quarterback move, they bought into a comeback narrative that was never a good bet, either because they so badly wanted it to be real or because they couldn’t bear to tell Rodgers that it wasn’t.

So they will try again next year—after an offseason in which Rodgers told McAfee he hopes to provide some input on personnel moves. If he stays healthy in his first season after his 40th birthday and gives New York average play, it should be a good team in 2024. But this didn’t have to be about next year so soon, and maybe it wouldn’t have been if the Jets hadn’t been so willing to buy what Rodgers was selling. They wanted a savior. What they got was scammed.

#26 abyzmul, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

keeping it real... excellent article

mezzavo likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Lol this article is trash.

He knew all along he would not be 100 percent until January. AR was going to try to play at less than 100% if the Jets were alive. Rodgers didn't cost them anything. Incompetency from the GM and HC losing to the Pats, Raiders, Chargers, and Falcons cost them their season. Not Rodgers. Nora is a big Swifty apparently. She has her own Taylor Swift podcast. She's probably mad AR called Kelce Mr. Pfizer and isn't vaxxed :D:D

9. Cman68

See, this is the kind of discussion having a DQ on the roster creates. Somehow, the Jets still dominate the back pages even with the pathetic season they're having. I'm sure Woody is thrilled as "you can never have enough ____________". Now the Jets have to make all their roster and draft decision based on what's good for Rodgers. You can thank Woody and JD for this shitshow as they negotiated a contract so friendly to Rodgers that they couldn't release him if they wanted to because of the devastating cap hit.

Oh well, he'll be here at least 2 more years. Maybe we'll win a game or two along the way although it will a challenge to do so with the 3 Stooges calling the shots while at the same time, servicing Rodgers every whim.

Centiment, papapump, mezzavo and 4 others like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Injured players aren't in the news every day, they go home and rehab.

This is all to distract the fan base from how pathetic this team is. Instead of talking about how they embarrassed themselves against their rivals last week, the story is Aaron Rodgers is now on the active roster. Woody loves that I'm sure. So does Saleh and Joe Douglas.

When you can't win games, distract from the losses

papapump, mezzavo, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  11. Cman68

Gotta give the Jet PR Dept. credit as well. Keeping the "Rodgers will rise again" mantra alive kept the Jets on the back pages. Just wait for the PSL/Ticket sales period begins for '24. It will be all Rodgers, all the time. Upside? When Rodgersmania is over, the JD era will also be over, the Saleh shitshow will be over, the Can't Hackett era will also be over, the Becton bullshit will be over... Oh Happy Day!!!

12. The_Darksider

Oh cool, further proof that the Jets organization is completely inept. And I wouldn't blame Aaron Rodgers for this, as I said yesterday on another thread, the Jets knew what they were getting into and clearly didn't care.

For all those fans who claim that Woody Johnson can't affect the team, doesn't care about winning, is too clueless and knows nothing about football – a pox on you and your ancestors!

papapump, barfolomew and Cman68 like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Meh.... this is nothing. Sadly what we've seen with this team is no faith in the QB, and maybe a "dangling carrot" would help keep them motivated. Sadly it melted down and the carrot stick just got longer...

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically the only relevant point the article makes is that because Rodgers fooled the Jets into thinking he can come back, they didn't get a better QB, since that would upset Rodgers, and therefore the season failed. This is wrong on so many levels. The flaws of this team run way deeper than a QB, particularly a back-up.

Is there any proof or some sort of indication even that say had the Jets signed Wentz, like they should have, it would upset Rodgers? Not that I think Wentz or anyone else would have helped much with this OLine and play caller, but this is again is just a wild ass guess that say Wentz would upset him and Siemian doesn't.

Rodgers is a polarizing figure, so I get it why the article was written, but it does not jibe with the facts very well. Coaching on offense sucks and JD built shit OLine and offense in general. That's why we lost. Not because Rodgers thought he could make it back at the very end of the season.

ouchy, dawinner127 and The_Darksider like this.
  15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

We’re not in contention for anything and our team sucks. If you’re fatigued about Rodgers just turn off the tv and go enjoy your Sundays.

mezzavo and Cman68 like this.
  16. Cman68

Not sure what was worse.. The Tim Tebow Mis-adventure or the Aaron Rodgers Gambit. Both were equally damaging to the organization short term.

Since1969 likes this.
  17. Cman68

and FTLoG, do not watch competent football teams play on the holiday weekend. It will only remind you just how much the New York Jets suck on the sidelines and the FO.

Centiment and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. The_Darksider

Thankfully Tebow sucked so bad he couldn't see the field for any real stretch of time, so it ended in the same year. This one....oof.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Because the Jets clearly had no viable starting QB at the end of last year, and because I don't believe they are capable of identifying and developing a young QB, and because the other options for acquiring an above average vet QB were miniscule, I was in favor of them getting Rodgers. Given they were going to keep Zach and try to resurrect him, adding his mentor to the roster and letting him sit and learn behind him made sense.

But not getting a decent QB# to ensure that this plan could be executed was a major failure. A second major mistake was in not assembling a decent OL. From these two errors another lost season was almost assured.

I'm not "fatigued" with Rodgers, I'm exhausted by the ineptness of this team's failures that span decades. As I see it, there are two main factors that have contributed to this failure:

1. Lousy, clueless ownership that doesn't know how to hire the right people to build a winning culture.
    2. The failure to develop a winning culture and identity (see #1 above).

Ownership has always tried to take the shortcut towards these objectives. Rather than hiring deeply knowledgeable people to build a winning football culture, these clueless owners who are threatened by such strong personalities, and don't want to share the spotlight with them, hire those they can manipulate to their own ends and desires. And when that fails, as it always does, they try to scramble to make splash signiings and quick fixes, ignoring the fact that very few legitimate great players are ever available, and if they are, it's because there is some deep flaw that their current team knows about and is happy to get rid of them because of it.

Rodgers was the latest "splash" attempt. But the blame doesn't fall on him. It falls on Woody, and everyone - especially the media - needs to be clear about that and hold him accountable. Will that force him to change? Probably not, but ignoring his central part in this team's failure and picking apart the other aspects doesn't get to the root of the problem.

In the end, I have only myself to blame for pledging my fan allegiance to a team like this 61 years ago.

papapump, mezzavo, bmfc1 and 2 others like this.
  20. The_Darksider

Amen. Only thing I would add is that I was in favor of getting a veteran QB because the young team had grown and was ready to make a push, but was against what we had to give up for Rodgers AND hated that we went through such a public embarrassment of a courtship to get him. Desperation never looks good, and that goes back to you bolded point above.

#40 The_Darksider, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023