We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This X 1,000

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Who was responsible for hiring our new OL coach? Wasn’t that guy widely reported to be incompetent by players and the media? He was last at TEN I think.

I get that we have a ton of backups playing but they never seem prepared. And guys like Becton have regressed. Seems like a coaching issue in part.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah I believe you are right. That hire didn’t age well at all, and most of the fans and media didn’t care for him.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Where’s Bill Callahan when you need him lol…I just looked up and he’s in Cleveland.

Seriously this offense has such disconnect all over.

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect Jets coach. The Jets probably heard all of those things and dropped everything to bring that stud in here.

Fiftynine likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

good point--Winning teams scheme around their talent. Losing teams like the jets IMPOSE their scheme ON their talent.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I say day 1 of the offseason the jets unload Becton and Zach Wilson. Not a better way to motivate jets fans for 2024
    Not ready to give up on Carter Warren as he is still dealing w college injury and needs off season to heal. Max Mitchell will never be more than a Brent Qvale--a super scrub that Mike MacCagnen kept resigning even though he wasn't even a decent reserve.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Tomlinson STINKS and he is making a fortune.
    If the jets want any success next year on offense these FOUR GUYS MUST GO:

OL Tomlinson
    OL Becton
    QB Zach Wilson
    TE CJ Uzoma

Four of the most overpaid underachievers who ever wore a jets uniform And, Joe Douglas doesn't have the balls to admit he made an error when he acquired any of them!!!!
    You could add Allen Lazard, but the cap hit of moving that piece of shit will have to wait until after 2024. Another screwup by our brilliant General Manager.

SOJAZ, teamgreen and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe the Raiders actually have a line coach, not just somebody's buddy?

11. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Watching Tippman I don’t think he has the balance to play center in the NFL. I see him as a backup guard on a good team. Hes a bust.

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

much better then evan neal though who cost a 7th overall pick and blocked his own TE then told fans to flip burgers

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing and I agree with the article, injuries can't be used as an excuse.

The article says "Becton has been credited with allowing 11 sacks this year, which leads all offensive linemen. Tomlinson has allowed seven sacks, which leads all guards."

are they talking about all Jets OL and Jets guards or is that in the context of the entire league? yikes

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Entire league. Left side of the line is an absolute disaster and the right side isn't much better. It's even funnier because the left side is the healthy side.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

WTF yeah we need to move on from both Becton and Tomlinson. They have been there all year, the left side should be stable

SOJAZ, tomdeb and REVISion like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only reason we don't have more players on that list is because there's been 8 different players on the right side to spread the sacks around.

Centiment and REVISion like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How does a guy who claims to believe in building from the lines out, construct an OL this bad over 4 years??? It's mind boggling! What dimension does he live in? Does he even watch the games?

I don't want to hear about injuries. Every team has injuries. But the good teams prepare for them by getting good backups, and they address injury-prone players by replacing them. Not Douglas. I'm not even going to pretend to speculate what his "reasoning" is, it's flat out faulty.

As I've said before recently, the only reason I'd say to not fire him is that I'm afraid Woody would get someone worse. And there's the sliver of hope in me that says he's put in 5 years on the job and maybe the curve will trend upward now. But I can't defend him, and anyone who says "Fire his ass!" I got no defense.

But he damn well better fix this OL THIS next offseason, or I would want to see his ass fired immediately.

Jets79, Borat, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

CC,
    Becton and Tomlinson have combined to allow 40% of the offensive line’s sacks (18 of 45) and 37% of its pressures (83 of 225). Its negligence pure and simple.... If I was ZW, I sue this fucker and the team for the head injury he didn't have to have if he had a completent OL in front of him.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can just about hear the TikTok campaign that Zach's mom will be launching showing video clips of Douglas promising Zach on Draft Night how the Jets were going to carry him, not the other way around! Of course no one realized at the time that what Douglas meant was they were going carry Zach out on a stretcher! LOL!

Borat likes this.