Blow it up Woody..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 17, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Except...........

Prior to this off-season, the Jets put a premium on youth, not trading draft picks but instead stockpiling them, and building slowly through the draft. A year ago at this time, right when the wheels started to come off, everybody was praising this team for being a year ahead of schedule.

Woody started to believe all of the headlines about the Jets being a quarterback away, forced this trade - which went away from youth, traded draft picks, and bringing in the guys you mentioned - except for them. Well gee, except for a bunch of older players who took up space and salary and didn't perform well - who could have seen that coming? The team that went away from older players and was looking for players under 30 very consistently? No, not them.

All of this in an effort to go for it over a 2-year period, max, while hamstringing the cap so that after that two year, they will essentially be scrapping everything and starting over – or close to it.

Right, that's not blowing things up at all.

The poster formerly known as broomulack - was time for a change.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Correct, it's not. If Rodgers and Cobb, were not on the team this year, the season would have played out identically except we would have had a different 5th string WR. That's the only difference. And as soon as the 2023 season was over, everyone would have been saying that we should see if we could sign Aaron Rodgers.

3. The_Darksider

Only Rodgers and Cobb. We could have kept the 13th pick, we could have saved salary, we could've kept our second round pick, we would not have Stonehands Lazard, we would not have Billy Turner, we probably would not have Hackett although an argument can be made that he was brought on his merit. Which is far worse than bringing him in to attract Aaron Rodgers. You won't get me to believe that argument, but he was brought in long before Aaron Rodgers was so I'll leave it be.

Things don't happen in a vacuum as much as you want to convince me they do.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

I personally think Lazard was signed because of Hackett, not Rodgers.

5. The_Darksider

That may very well be, but then it becomes chicken or the egg. Would Lazard have signed here even with Hackett if Rodgers wasn't expected to come as well? That I doubt. And would Hackett have been here if he wasn't brought into attract Aaron Rodgers? This can be debated either way.

Let's throw in Dalvin Cook as well, who came here specifically to play with Aaron Rodgers. That one is not debatable, and whether he is finished or they just don't use them properly, that was a huge waste of money and a roster spot.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

But who else were you going to sign with Cook's money that was going to change this season? It was a one year signing; it has zero effect on next season. Cook's signing certainly doesn't "blow up" anything.

7. The_Darksider

So that's a reason to just throw the money away? Not trying to be sarcastic or a wise ass, but that money does carry over to the next season if you don't use it. You could also use that room during the season if you need to make a trade - and we could absolutely argue that if they had that room after the first game of the season, they could have done something to get in a more viable backup. Or bring one in at all. But regardless, you think Dalvin Cook was worth $8 million?

8. Unhappyjetsfan

No, but I also don't think we were going to sign anyone else that would be demonstrably better with a week to go before the season started. And we were absolutely going to need to sign another running back before the season started.

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

your spot on but after missing out on zach drafting Joe D couldn't draft another QB. I know the book is closed but his only option to continue the "youth" path would have been to roll with Mike White

The_Darksider likes this.
  10. The_Darksider

Definitely wouldn't look to draft another quarterback. The Jets basically built a team, the quarterback was a failure, it became time to get a vet because you can't saddle this team with another rookie who's learning.

The problem is, our owner only wants big names so decided to go after the guy with the most name recognition and the best résumé, consequences and circumstances be damned. The Jets took themselves out of contention for anyone else very early and gave the Packers some leverage where originally they had absolutely none.

And again, Joe Douglas never operated like that. He always kept things very close to the vest. Everything about the off-season was a departure from the way he had operated before.

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Who else were you going to get to play QB?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

5 losses by double digits.

this was the team they sold us to be a contender. we were duped

13. nevbeats319

ok i disagree with this. Out of contention to sign who? Jimmy G? Derek Carr? Jacoby Brisett? If Aaron doesn't get hurt, half of these threads aren't being made.

14. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

At least now we can put to rest the argument of who really got fleeced in the Rodgers trade: the Jets' fanbase. Just another example of the organization giving the middle finger to its customers, who will certainly be returning for more abuse.

papapump and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. The_Darksider

I'm not looking at this with hindsight, so Derek Carr, Jacoby Brissett, all those guys look like terrible choices now. But none of them would have cost draft picks, none of them force a win at all costs all in approach, none of them would have brought all of these extra players here who weren't helpful and actually hurt us, and I can guarantee that none of them would be running this team because what they want comes before everything else. I'm not sure if you guys buy into that, but I do to a very large extent. While Aaron Rodgers is not making all of the actual decisions, he is certainly influencing everything this team does.

But I digress - if you were a team that was believing the headlines that you were really only a quarterback away from contending, and your quarterback was so bad that you were willing to blow everything up to let him sit and watch, wouldn't an improvement be enough? I understand shooting for the best, but not at the expense of everything they did. Of course, we found out that not even Aaron Rodgers, had he stayed healthy, would have gotten this team to be serious contenders – which to me makes all of the surrounding damage even worse.

Obviously we are all going to not agree on this, but thanks for listening.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

This is where you're wrong, imo. Aside from the Lazard signing (which I already said I believe happened because of Hackett, not Rodgers), there is no surrounding damage. The team sucks with an injured Rodgers. The team would have sucked if we never traded for Rodgers. The team would have sucked with Derek Carr, Garropolo, or Brissett (or anyone else available). If we hadn't traded for Rodgers last year, right now everyone would be saying we should sign Rodgers in free agency this offseason.

17. The_Darksider

Well, in my opinion, there was a lot more damage done. And at the end of the day, we can both speak about suppositions, but the fact of the matter is the team sucked even with Aaron Rodgers because he got hurt and didn't play. Lol

18. nevbeats319

they WERE AT A WIN AT ALL COST. It is year 3 for Salah and year 4 for JD. They had to go all out.

19. The_Darksider

Ok! No need to shout.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Smith (tomorrow), White, Darnold, Flacco - did any other QBs who aren't good enough to play for the Jets get game time this week?