We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

As bad as our OL has been (and it’s been TERRIBLE!), I don’t think it’s impossible to fix in one offseason honestly.

We really need two starting caliber OTs.

I think Tippman is fine at C, assuming AVT can come back, and this time we just need to keep him at G and he’s pro bowl quality player there, then yes I think we just restructure Laken…he hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been as bad as last year, and with a G, I think a lot of their play has much to do with the guys on either side of them.

If we can get even a midlevel type starting OT in free agency and use the first round pick on an OT, I think our line can be at least average.

Becton, man that’s tough. It’s nice to see him stay healthy this year, but even then he has missed a game. There is no reason for him to take any kind of lowball deal or hometown discount…I think he’d most likely get a decent offer and I think its likely another team would pay him more than we would. So he’s most likely gone.

Sure, on a good deal I’d consider keeping him, but I just think theres a real high chance, say over 80%, that another team will pay him more than we would want to pay him.

Still…I get it’s hard to get two starting OTs in this market, but we should be able to do something here…Turner needs to go…Mitchell looks worse this year than last, and not sure what we have, if anything, in Warren. But overall I think we have the IOL kind of set ok now just need to go get starting quality at both OT spots.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  2. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Becton is an injury-prone LT that has not shown the flexibility to switch to the right side effectively, and per PFF and next gen stats Becton's pressure rate allowed is in the bottom quarter or third (depending on the source) of the tackles in the league, with either the 2nd most sacks allowed or 9th most sacks allowed (depending on source).
    His run blocking isn't good either, despite claims to the contrary. He's a bottom third run blocker as well this season.
    In fact, in the last 3 years of evidence he's not shown that he is anything more than a stopgap NFL OT with huge injury risks, despite flashing some promise as a rookie (a season also cut short by injury btw).
    His performance and potential risk is well summed up as: in 4 years he's been healthy for less than half of his team's games, and in those 43% that he has been healthy, in half of them he's been a bottom 1/3 tackle. The last time he was average or better was 4 years ago.
    I don't think the market will be as good for him as many think. He's worth backup money and I think that's what he will settle for regardless of where he ends up.

#102 teamgreen, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's a little bit deceptive how CAP/dead CAP works. Basically, Laken is owed $0 next year. Whatever dead CAP you will see in case of cutting him is basically already sunk cost, meaning we incurred that cost before at a lower CAP charge per some CAP manipulations (i.e. adding non guaranteed years and paying out sign in bonus).

The bottom line is this: we can keep Laken for actual 13 mil sum next year the way the contract is structured now, but it is not guaranteed, so we can also cut him and these extra 13 mil will not count against the CAP. The only thing that will count against the CAP then (dead CAP) is the difference between what we already paid him in the first 2 years and the lower number he was counted against the CAP.

Best case scenario IMO is we can negotiate like with Lawson and say agree on lower than 13 (say 8-9 mil) and he stays. In which case we can also restructure, add more non guaranteed years and convert that 8-9 mil salary to bonus, and push the CAP can down the road a bit more, lowering the hit for 2024. Basically, ideally he take a pay cut to stay and then instead of 13 non guaranteed he would have say 8-9 guaranteed.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Getting one really good OT in FA or the draft is really hard. A average OT in free agency will break the bank and 2nd-3rd round talent OTs will always get pushed up in the draft. Every team is looking for them

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont know that its accurate that he's owed $0 next year, but I'll take your word for it

I dont want to restructure and kick the can down the road, I think he's a poor guard, and its a terrible contract. I'd look to get out of the contract as soon as possible.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You don't have to take my word for it, look here: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/laken-tomlinson-16752/

He had 24 mil guaranteed at signing, all will be paid in full after this year. Nothing more is guaranteed, the restructure he had for CAP reasons didn't change the guaranteed amounts. Next year it is only 12.6 base and 400K roster bonus, none guaranteed.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's 12.6 M too much IMO

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The O line gave in in two places, and QB had no chance - basically a fumble 6. If this was Rodgers, he would be on his back as well and likely back in the hospital. It's madding how badly JD fucked us with the O Line this year.

teamgreen and barfolomew like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

You mean counting on an aging veteran coming off of shoulder surgery and a guy who hasn't played a game in two years wasn't a good idea?

How Douglas still has a job is just astounding.

Centiment, Borat and barfolomew like this.
  10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Worst online in the league

Borat likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Among OTs, Becton now leads the league in sacks allowed.

We need 2 new OTs this offseason. I'm not sure how we do it with no 2nd round pick. We need to either hit on 2 draft picks or a draft pick and a FA signing. How confident are you in JD to do that given his track record with OL moves?

barfolomew, Jonathan_Vilma and Borat like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is of course a rhetorical question, but I am not confidence in JD doing anything on offense at this point. Just because we might win a meaningless game here in there to hurt or draft position shouldn't keep him on the job. The season was over in November again, his 5th season with the team. Enough is enough, I want someone else to try to improve this line.

REVISion likes this.
  13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

What we really need is a new GM. The O-line won't be fixed until that clown is out of here.

JohnnyJet and REVISion like this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I will repeat ... the offensive line is "fixed" and Douglas is an offensive line "guru." I know this because I was told it over and over again the last three years on this very message board.

JohnnyJet, teamgreen and barfolomew like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I said it in the game thread too but it’s an illusion that Becton was somehow on his way to being a stud offensive tackle his rookie year before he got hurt. He was allowing a fair amount of sacks (tied for 5th worst in the league) and being penalized within the top ten for tackles in the league. He was a decently mauling run blocker so that skews things.

He requires a tightend on his side at all times.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like Zach is out concussed. Surprised he lasted this long. The next tackling dummy is Siemian. What's the over/under if he is injured too before the season is over?

17. teamgreen

THis was a bigger whiff than the Zach pick because the flawed "potential" that the FO thought they saw prevented any actual investment in OTs over the next 3 seasons, which has cost the Jets in every facet of the offensive game the past few seasons.

Borat likes this.
  18. teamgreen

It's also an absolute indictment of the reputation of JD as an oline guru, as WIrfs, who was passed on because he was "just a RT", showed this season that he's also a better LT than anyone the Jets have had on their roster in the last 4 years.

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Becton looks awful. Maybe he can swing it at RT but he’s not some savant LT. Bad miss by Joe Douglas. Time for him to go.

wewantsapp and Savatage like this.
  20. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I said this in the game thread, the only 2 OL I'd keep are Tippmann and AVT. The rest can f-off.