Texans @ Jets: Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland18, Dec 10, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about reasonable or unreasonable. I said that no one is rooting against him. If anyone is rooting against him, it is likely for a better draft pick or to assure he's gone because they feel it's better for the organization, and that's on them. But calling someone a truther is the same as calling someone a fairweather fan or not a real fan. It's not right by either side. You won't see me using terms like that ever.

We all root for our teams whatever way we want. You and I have a lot of different debates, dozens of quotes going back-and-forth, but at no time have either one of us said that the other is not a true fan or should be this or should be that. The furthest I've ever gone is telling you that you defend him when you say you don't, but it's never gotten beyond that.

I will go back-and-forth all day with anybody and debate things, but once someone starts telling me I'm not a fan because I don't look at things the same way they do, or cuz I'm not all super happy and positive every second, that's a problem for me .

And this is not directed at @ColoradoContrails in particular any longer, not intentionally singling him out. It's about the different types of Jets fans and how they react.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that is rooting against him though. a fan roots for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back of it. there is no scenario where rooting against a player on your team is acceptable unless they are a really fucked up person off the field (deshaun watson for example) people here were actively rooting for the kid to fail just so they can be right. it's a huge difference compared to say how I was with boyle saying "We won't win a game with him, but I hope he proves me wrong." people here wanted zach to fail so they can be right and continue attacking all the people they called "zach truthers" I've been shit on for weeks and weeks now by a handful of people here for being reasonable and now when it turns out everything I said came true, they are nowhere to be found and just waiting for zach to have a bad game so they can do it again.

I don't think it's fair to call someone "not a true fan" just because they are negative. If they weren't a true fan then they would have switched teams. but once you start actively rooting against your own players, then it's time to start thinking that

3. The_Darksider

You just summed up my point in one sentence. Good job. The rest of it is all debatable based on point of view.

4. GasedAndConfused

i can't imagine why a fan would root against a player on their team (outside of being a POS person), I can understand why a fan hates a player who is bad, but not one that doesn't want them to turn it around.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. The_Darksider

You said it yourself, some people just want to be right. I don't subscribe to that either. To each their own though.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

thats not really being a fan though if you'd rather your players be shit just so you can show of to some strangers online. thats being a fan of yourself not the team

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The one thing that's always missing... a bomb now & then, just to put that thought into the opposing teams' head.
    I really hope, for whatever it's worth, that the CS has learned the lesson that scoring points takes some risks... since they'll be here for (at least) another year.
    Whether it's Zach, or they trade him & bring in another young QB, playing in fear of making mistakes leads nowhere.

8. GasedAndConfused

rodgers wouldn't tolerate such a conservative approach. zach hasn't earned that respect. rodgers has so the CS will listen to him and the players will follow him.

burf likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

"piss poor management" is the Jets front offices' stock in trade...

I questioned what Saleh had told Zach after benching him and demotion to 3rd string.

If he did tell Zach that he was as good as gone at seasons end... and then asked (or let) him start against the Texans...
    that is fucking wild. And for Zach to agree to play... with all the risk involved with that... is either dumb or ballsy as fuck.

What the fuck is going on at One Jets Drive?
    What the fuck is Zach's agent doing?
    What the fuck does the NFLPA say about it?

I'm no 'Zach Truther'... but the kid has my respect for how he's handled the NY media and the criticism he's received for his play.
    Starting to think that Zach's failures are in a large part due to shitty coaching.

I hope he balls out the rest of the season and makes Jets management really sweat their decision.

10. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

plus Rodgers will just audible out of it if he wants

11. GasedAndConfused

there is never a time where you don't want your players to ball out. it's always best for the team

For me though (with no sources) my educated guess based on what we knew (he was benched and made inactive, then 2 weeks later there was talks about him being reluctant to play due to injury) seemed to me that he was told he's done as a jet and will be traded in the offseason. obviously they didn't want to publicly announce it yet. thats the only reason a player may not want to be injured who's already guaranteed money and another year on their deal.

the issue is a few things can happen. if he balls out, he's worth more in a trade or we may decide he's shown enough to keep him on for another year. which would really suck for him if we keep him TBH
    if he fails then nothing really changes. he'll still have some value. a team like TB could give up a 3rd or so for him and take on the 5.5mil and have him compete with trask and maybe baker too if they bring baker back.
    if he does blow out his ACL though which is worse case, he's basically done for 2024 and can't be traded or play

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of another QB who knew he was getting traded and was asked to come off the bench and play out the season.

Didn't Derek Carr sit after he knew he was gone from the Raiders?

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it happens all the time. It’s called a “contract year”

in the NFL, your tape is your resume

abyzmul likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

the raiders sat carr so they could cut him because he had an injury guarantee that would have kicked in if he got hurt
    I think jimmy G did after lance got hurt. he knew he was gone but still came off the bench and played. he wound up getting hurt and purdy took the job over. but he was also on 1 year backup deal at that point as they named lance the starter in pre-season so not quite the same

Acad23 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

I thought stats were your resume lol

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you are pretty clueless when it comes to analysis and statistics

17. GasedAndConfused

yup attacker the poster for pointing out you being a hypocrite. :)

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

On top of all the obvious choices including Zach, Garrett Wilson, etc. Tony Adams quietly had a good game and has had a very good season. Your free safety is usually having a good season if you don’t see them a ton in the cover 3/1 scheme.

abyzmul and GasedAndConfused like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This was the point of my original post. Maybe not all those who don't want Zach on team, but the most vocal portion of them ridicule anyone who tries to present a reasonable counterpoint, and calls them a "Zach Truther", or part of the "Mormon Mafia" (whatever that is). And then, the day after his best game as a pro, and one of the team's best games in years, suddenly <crickets>, leading me to think they'd rather be right about their assessment of Zach than how the team does. Why else would they not come here and discuss the win? True fans don't behave like that. If that pisses them off, oh well. And it's not like I'm the Great Arbiter of who's true fan or not, it's just my opinion.