Keep the bipolar meds handy, you'll need them

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 11, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Jets fans are so predictable. The number of people who have flip-flopped over one game is astounding to me. I know Jets fans are like starving wanderers in the desert looking for any kind of crumbs for nourishment, but let's pull back the reins a bit here.

Almost three years of lousy play, a few glimpses, one half of excellent football, and finally one game where he put it all (or most of it) together doesn't mean Zach Wilson is on his way to an extension, being a good quarterback, stardom, and the Hall of Fame.

Cinderella is much more likely to turn back into a pumpkin than become a princess.

And no, I'm not raining on anyone's parade or being "negative" - I'm being as real as can be considering this team's (and this player's) history.

#1 The_Darksider, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    Ralebird, barfolomew, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Zach played hero ball yesterday and it worked for him.

Many of the other games he tried to play hero ball, it went horribly bad, for example, that 4 INT game vs. NE last year.

I love Zach’s progress as a young man and person. He’s intelligent and definitely more self aware now. But his performance has been too inconsistent to hitch a wagon to.

The New York Jets can be at peace they made him a better person and man.

That being said, the Jets, local and national media, and fanbase ruined another young QB.

Our fanbase and media seem to revel in failure and disappointment. We are so accustomed to losing and the loser mentality, we could have a full roster of HOFs and still will them to lose.

I wish Zach the best of luck at his next gig.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The biggest issue with Zach has always been consistency.

We've seen Zach look like a good NFL QB for a handful of games throughout his career but he's never been able to sustain that level of play over a larger sample size.

Next week will be a big indicator as to whether yesterday was just more of the same or if he's really turned a corner. I sincerely hope it's the latter but unfortunately I suspect it's the former.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seems Hackett decided to go all out yesterday in the rain. He had nothing to lose but his lousy reputation as a OC so he went unpredictable in the 2nd half and it worked yesterday. We'll see which Zach and which Hackett shows up on Sunday as they won't be going up against some kid with a hot hand.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s impossible for me to root against the Jets. Even when Frank Gore derailed the franchise by helping us beat the Rams, I was happy to see them win.

This is no different. We’re never going to build a winning culture if we keep losing out at the end of games. It’s good for Sauce, Breece, GW to remember what winning feels like again from their culture days and establish a standard.

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

To me the biggest issue with Zach has been the "mental" part of playing QB at the NFL level. Going thru his reads, progressions, understanding what look the defense is giving him. Then making smart decisions with the ball. He has been horrible at it and it's a big reason why he has failed as a QB in the NFL. Zach always had the athletic ability to play in this league. He has the arm to make all the throws plus he is effective running the ball whether it's to avoid the rush or pick up a first down.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

It really shouldn’t be shocking that people would turn that quick. It’s the Zach we’ve been hoping for. The Tik Toks saying he’s the one are a bridge too far though.

On the other hand, it’ll make it that much more frustrating if he regresses next week. We’re playing Miami…in Miami. That should bring people’s expectations down some.

It really goes back to, he’s the best QB on the roster (don’t know about Rypien) and all questions about Boyle or Edmure Tully being the answer have been answered. Buckle up, the last four games are going to be a wild ride!

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

JC we can't even have 12 hours to rejoice b4 Karen shows up.

Yes Karen, we've all been here the previous seasons. We know. We don't need to be warned.

cval likes this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Are we bipolar, or, perhaps those of us who have had enough of Zach as a Jet have had the last two weeks to feel good about declaring that decision, while today those of us who feel Zach has the talent to be kept have their turn to be heard? Maybe it's not the same group.

cval likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

My attention stuck around that whole season, every last dying moment of 2-14 or whatever. For some reason I hate this team more though, I dont know why

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Easily the best and most complete game of his career. He finally found the zone in the second half completing like 15 straight passes or something like that.

It was great to watch a Jets QB take over a game. It’s been forever since that’s happened. The Texans defense is nothing special but they’re not bottom of the barrel.

Nobody ever argued that Zach doesn’t have the physical tools. He’s quick on his feet, has a cannon for an arm, and he’s surprisingly durable for his size.

If he ever becomes capable of learning the game and gets a coach who can teach it, he’ll do well. As it stands he’s done way more harm than good for this team and he’s had too many plays I’ll never forget for all the wrong reasons.

He’s here for another year or two barring a complete meltdown in the last 4.

Rebuild the god damn OL.

Find a QB coach.

Sign NFL caliber receivers.

Find a quality backup so Zach doesn’t have to play after Rodgers next injury. I mean, he should absolutely be ready to play, but there’s needs to be a Plan C or B depending on your perspective.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Ruined? Don’t think he’d play so good yesterday if he was ruined…

AtlantaJet likes this.
  13. The_Darksider

Same here - even when I 'root' for a tank, I never actively root for the Jets to lose. I can't do it even when I try.

sackexchange likes this.
  14. The_Darksider

You do you, I'm not here to police who can be happy and who's not. But Jets fans as a whole are either "fire everyone, this is awful" or "that's it, everything is great, we're on our way".

I've seen PLENTY of people in that second group today. Even though historically this has happened dozens of times, and almost all of those dozens of times the team has followed with a flat performance that didn't even have a minute of football that resembled the previous week.

And the bipolar comment is about the franchise and its overall history and performance, not about Zach in particular. He just happens to be a catalyst for this episode.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Most years around this time we lose a game were supposed to win and win a game were supposed to lose. That's happened the last two weeks.

Lets see what happens next week but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Beating the fish would be sweet though.

The_Darksider likes this.
  16. The_Darksider

lol You can do whatever you want. Rejoice away! I

Love,
    Karen

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

both groups are unrealistic. saleh said it best when he said "the NFL is a week to week league" our record sucks but 4 out of our 5 wins are against teams likely to make the playoffs

RevisIsland18 and The_Darksider like this.
  18. The_Darksider

Agreed, hence the bipolar comment. But regardless, I don't give a shit about this year, this is the Jets history. The reason I am as negative as I am is because they have done this so many times over the years that I no longer believe what I'm seeing just because it makes me happy. Show me.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this game is likely to be an outlier. it's extremely unlikely we run the table or make a playoffs. but it was nice to see an offensive explosion like that. last time we had an offense for a half like that was favre throwing 3 TDs in the 1st half for us before his arm gave out

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The last time Hackett did this, the Chiefs game, he immediately reverted back to his old ways the next game. I think calling creative, unpredictable games makes him deeply uncomfortable. He'd rather call safe plays that don't work than bold ones that sometimes work great and sometimes backfire.