We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with this, truly not enough done for the O-line. JD failed there and as a consequence the team is failing.

teamgreen likes this.
  2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Do you think he would be better against normal fronts with Aaron? Or is it an issue like you said ?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d think so but our offense still has no flow or creativity.

I think he also looks like he’s guessing holes a lot the last 3-4 weeks rather than letting his natural vision take over. There hasn’t been a lot there but he’s definitely been missing some opportunities.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I thought last year he looked patient finding holes . I just think a guy his size should be able to run though a tackler rather then juke to make them miss

teamgreen likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The line is awful again. Without Carter Warren worse than last week, where it was decent for a half. Now sucks so far completely. Injury prone in College Warren injured again, who would have thought. Could have had Dawand Jones with a small trade up, who is actually keep statue Flacco standing.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, stating the obvious and beating a dead horse, but this OL is terrible. If they were even average we could've had a pretty good offense - yes, even with Zach at QB. But Zach hung in there and delivered his best game as a pro in terrible conditions. I wonder what was different for him? Revenge? Nothing to lose? Things finally clicked? Whatever it was, hopefully he can keep it going.

#66 ColoradoContrails, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  7. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I think not being behind and chasing the game helped. He definitely looked more relaxed. Picked his passes, was unlucky with the fumble. He has a very good game. But. Still sacked 4 times. The line was still rough in places.

teamgreen likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Becton had an atrocious game today.

9. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

He's a liability even when "healthy" and has not shown in any way that he's the same player that flashed early in his rookie season. Jets have needs at both starting OT positions--nobody on the roster with the exception of AVT has shown they can play either tackle at an average starter--> above average starter level, and they need AVT at guard. If backup $$ can keep him, sign him. No starter $$ for this hulking pre-snap penalty.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He's been bad all season. But, he'll get a new contract because the Jets reward mediocrity.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder if the problem is one of size. Becton really doesn't look all that flexible or frankly, mobile as guys seem to be able to attack him on the outside of his body instead of head on.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This performance was Joe Burrowesque - very impressive. He had no line today. This was Becton's worst game of the year. Tipp got hurt. I don't know who was playing RG, but whoever it was, he was awful. Max was his usual atrocious self and had to be replaced by Billy Turnstile mid game, who also was his usual atrocious self. Carter Warren was not good this year, but he is an All Pro compared to these pathetic scrubs and he was out. Zach was under siege all game from both sides with a few rare exceptions. Running game non existent. And he played like Joe Burrow did to get this result and hurt our draft position :) Even had that Pro Day throw when Becton got beat again.

As far as why, I think Zach in general improved this season. He is still inconsistent, but what might have helped is to actually sit for a couple of games. Remember - it was supposed to be red shirt year. I do hope he can keep this up, but it is almost impossible to do with our OLine. I mean Zach improved, but he is no Joe Burrow. Hoping Tipp and Warren can start next week.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Becton has always been a better run blocker than pass protector. All his rookie year accolades were for his "road grader" skills, not his pass blocking ability, and he won those matchups by sheer size.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

I think you have to consider bringing back Becton. Perhaps he will be better a year removed from surgery.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

"The #Jets OL allowed 15 pressures, 5 sacks and 2 QB hits, per TruMedia."
    This is an assault. The O line needs to do better. Only Elite QB play (and exceptional durability) can withstand this. Kudos to Zach for giving an elite performance today, but it's not realistic to expect that every game. More likely he will come back to earth and then get hurt if this is how the line performs every game. Even Becton is looking like a scrub now. This team, even without Rodgers, even with Zach, could have been so much better if only JD did just managed to put even a below average OLine, but not the bottom 3 one.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm sure someone is telling him about it on Twitter and he'll spend the next 2 days replying.

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you're a detractor...

abyzmul likes this.
  18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

JD hasn't done a good enough job on the OL. But the amount of injuries has been mostly really bad luck. I honestly don't even think depth is so bad, but even backups have been going down. It's insane.

Let's say the line has stayed mostly healthy and they're trotting out Becton - Tomlinson - McGovern - Tippman - AVT. That's probably a middle of the road OL you can win with

OT is a huge priority this offseason and probably needs to be the 1st pick at this point. Becton being on the field has been a nice surprise but he hasn't been great either.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not an OL expert by any means, but don't we have to ask at this point if their wide zone blocking scheme isn't to blame for a of their problems, especially injuries. Is Becton really suited to play that scheme? At this point it's not likely they can change things, but going forward they ought to seriously consider the players they have and fit things to their strength.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Becton had a terrible game against the Texans, but he otherwise has been serviceable. If a free agent (Jonah Williams, James Hurst?) is beyond our budget, we might be able to resign Becton on the cheap.

Also, if Zach proves to be a good backup to AR in the last five games of the season, we should be able to address the OL big time in the draft. Here's a post I recently made on the Draft forum:

Here's a stab on the Pro Football Network simulator to see what our draft might look like if Zach is able to put together a string of five good games at the end of the season. Here is what I came up with:

(Trade with Cincinnati: They get #9 and take TE Bowers, Jets get #18 and #49)

18.Taliese Fuaga-T, Oregon State
    49.Sedrick Van Pran-C, Georgia
    71. Johnny Wilson-WR, FSU
    106. Mason Smith-DT, LSU
    113. Johnny Dixon-CB, Penn State
    168. Zac Zinter-G, Michigan

I see Tippmann moving over to guard and Van Pran taking over at center. So our offensive line could be:

Becton/AVT/Van Pran/Tippmann/Fuaga

(with Tomlinson, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren and Zinter as reserves. Schweitzer and McGovern can be brought to camp as possible emergency injury fill-ins)

Nyjets4eva and Borat like this.