Zach Wilson named starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Dec 6, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if we were tanking we would have just ran with boyle. we also could sit GW and hall so they dont get hurt

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a saying" "If you keep doing what you were doing, you'll keep getting the same results". The problem isn't continuity or lack of, it's that through two ownership reigns we consistently hired bad GMs and HCs. If that sounds simplistic, remember Occam's Razor. Hess and Woody knew/know nothing about football, let alone winning football, not even enough to hire people who do (or if they somehow do, they insert themselves into the middle of things). Until Woody sets his ego aside and hires someone with a proven track record of success to run things without his interference, we'll continue to get the "same old, same old".

SOJAZ, Acad23, cval and 1 other person like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

the issue is, people with proven track records of success are already employed and not available to hire

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Im OK with Zach starting. Not that I think he's gonna light it up. He's not.

Just that keeping ZW on the bench and turning the rock over to some dude we just pulled in from another teams Practice Squad seems kinda silly. Reeks of disfunction even more than we already reek.

As far as the players NOT wanting ZW (Garrett el al), they got their wish the last 2 weeks. And even they have to admit, of the QB we have in the QB room, ZW is probably the best shot.

Plus if ZW pulls off a few wins, (unlikely) the fans who go to the games will be thrilled, and the draft pick we get for Zach will only go up. Imagine if ZW wins a few games, and JD pulls off another 2nd round trade (aka, Sam Darnold style).

On the flip side, if we lose with ZW, no one, not even Zach's fan base, would be mad if we cut/trade him at the end of the season, and our draft picks will be higher. So it's kind of a win/win (or lose/lose!)

Borat likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

funny thing is, hackett didn't call that bad of a game considering his low bar and gipson had his best game. GW could have had damn near 200 yards with how open he was and boyle never saw it or didn't want to pull the trigger. IDK if he has enough arm which could be why as well. even his intermediate outside balls to gipson floated and made him take unnecessary hits.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

boyle was just the interim QB so we cannot judge his performance

stinkyB, abyzmul and The_Darksider like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

People have been known to "un-retire", or maybe they're looking for a new challenge and want out of their current situation. But at a minimum I would want to hire a guy who worked closely with someone who was successful and could reasonably be expected to have absorbed a lot of that knowledge.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have been "interim QB" if he won some games...

9. GasedAndConfused

not really sure what you mean by this?

edit: I think it's a poor joke attempt. I wouldn't judge boyle as a starting QB because he isn't one just because he was named the starter for 2 games. I'd judge him as a backup/3rd stringer. based on your idea though he should be judged against mahomes

#109 GasedAndConfused, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  10. GasedAndConfused

not really sure who's retired right now either that would want to come back. cowher has been retired for like 8 years and I doubt he wants too. maybe lure jim harbaugh out of the NCAA? he's been out of the NFL almost a decade though and is a known douchebag. these guys aren't sitting around waiting for work because if they wanted it they would have it.

11. BrowningNagle

damn right

abyzmul likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Try 16 or 17. However long Tomlin has been in Pittsburgh. But I also remember fans clamoring for him after the Brett Favre season when Mangini got fired, so it's at least 15 years.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zappe just had a better game than Zach has had in his career.

14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Just like Darnold did on his way out.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Great question. I'm well beyond that point. The Raiders game broke me.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Zappe played in a tiny conference with a very low level of competition and he was probably drafted where he should have been.

I wonder what would have happened if he had a billionaire uncle.

Since1969 likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So, not much different from the rest of the season....

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mo money, mo problems?

19. BrowningNagle

Zach Wilson's uncle founded JetBlue airlines

Bailey Zappe's uncle found a seat on Jetblue once

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I kinda feel bad for Hackett the same way I felt for LeFlower (and even Gase to a lesser extent). With Gase, we had the worse rated Oline the entire season, with Sam Darnold running for his life. With LeFlower and now Hackett, our Oline (again) has been an injury disaster and their new QB, Zach Wilson just can't figure anything out. There's only so much these OCs can do, especially going against some of the NFL's best D's.

But back to my thread where I said we should start ZW over some hack we dragged in off the street. That's true if the hack is Reipen or some other re-tread. BUT what if there was a young QB in the last draft who was intriguing with a nice arm and nice stats, but was from a smaller school, so we passed. We'd now have the chance to 'steal' that kid, put him on the 52 for a week or two, then see what he can do.

You were closer to the draft then I, so I don't know if there was such a QB taken in the later rounds that you felt coulda/shoulda been picked up by the Jets as a good development QB.