Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Figured this was thread-worthy since it's probably the most important issue for the long-term future of our franchise going forward.

Assuming we secure a top 5-7 pick, would you rather us draft a QB or an OL/WR to go all-in with Rodgers next year? Keep in mind we're not going to get Williams or Maye, so we're looking at Penix or Daniels.

I had previously been on the OL/WR/Rodgers train, but I'm slowly coming around to the fact that doing so likely screws us long-term. With Rodgers back, we won't be picking in the top 10 in the draft after the next one. This next draft is probably our best shot at landing a top QB prospect for several years.

Yes, we've had many a failed QB pick, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying to get one. The only ways to win consistently in this league are either by having a good QB or having an offensive wizard at HC calling the plays. We don't know what our future holds coaching-wise, so why not try to get a top QB when we have the chance?

I'm also not sure we'll be good enough to win the Super Bowl next year even with Rodgers back and a highly drafted OL/WR. We'd have to have an amazing offseason to fill all the holes at OL.

What do you think?

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I want Penix. That dude is accurate and he throws deep. If I were in charge of the Jets, I'd trade back, draft Penix and hire his college offensive co-ordinator as our offensive co-ordinator. Then use every other draft pick on offensive linemen - just take like six of them and hope three pan out.

egbert souse likes this.
  3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Unless we figure out a way to trade Aaron Rodgers for something nearing what we paid for him we would be insane to draft a QB in round one next year.

WR, TE, or OT are the only reasonable options if we want to keep Rodgers healthy.

He needs time to throw and targets that can get open so he doesn't need time to throw.

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I don't think it's become a crime to have a high pick QB sit a year behind an actual quarterback. I haven't really looked at free agents or the the Jets cap situation for next year though.

6. REVISion

I'm just not sure we can field a competitive-enough offense even if we try. We have a tricky cap situation and many holes on the OL. Do we really want to rely on Douglas, a guy who has botched the OL situation for 5 years running now, to rebuild most of the line in a single offseason?

We're also probably still going to have Hackett, and he's never shown to be a good playcaller even with Rodgers since LaFleur was calling plays in Green Bay.

joelip and Borat like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets had ANY success at developing QBs I might be tempted to say yes, but they don't. Haven't for decades. It would much smarter to trade back and use the picks to address the OL, WR spots. Maybe take a flyer on a "sleeper" QB in the 4th or 5th round.

They have to count on Rodgers coming back for at least next year, and maybe 2 years. Depending on who might be available in FA, pick up a decent backup there, and keep Zach as QB#3 as the plan was this year - except actually have a decent backup so that Zach doesn't have to play barring a disaster.

8. ColoradoContrails

Maybe Douglas won't the the guy picking.

In any case, I'd prefer that they fire Saleh and get an offensive minded HC in. How many years of futile offense will it take for the Jets to wake up to the fact that hiring defensive minded HCs - at least ones who have never had success as a HC before - doesn't work?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd take his receiver instead. This franchise has no business drafting QB in the first round.

10. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

They absolutely should. For at least a year they actually have a good infrastructure in place to develop a QB.

I think if they went to Rodgers and told them they need to start looking out for the future of the franchise he’d be all in. At this point I think Aaron just wants to help out anyway he can. Probably feels bad the Jets mortgaged their future for him.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

As several posters have said for a month now - don’t draft a QB. This regime doesn’t deserve to pick their guy version 3.0.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. REVISion

I guess I just feel like good QBs kind of develop themselves. They have what it takes or they don't. If they do, they figure it out. Plus I think sitting under Rodgers for a year would help development anyway.

KY Jets Fan and joelip like this.
  13. REVISion

In an ideal world, we'd fire much of the front office after this season, sure. But I think that's highly unlikely. Woody is too dumb to determine the real issues with the team. Rodgers' injury gives them all a pass. It shouldn't, but it will.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At what point does Rodgers start thinking that he doesn't want his last year in the NFL and a non-negligible part of his legacy to be ruined by the clowns running the team and actually tell Woody to fire Douglas/Saleh/Hackett?

15. ColoradoContrails

When was the last QB the Jets correctly identified and drafted?

Jets fans are behaving like inveterate gamblers looking to throw good money after bad chasing something they'll never catch.

16. REVISion

I'd like to believe this is in play, but I'm more inclined to think that Rodgers will think he can turn this around himself.

The vast majority of highly drafted QBs don't work out, it's just the nature of the position and our futility there isn't something exclusive to the Jets. It's really hard to be a good QB in the NFL and most guys just can't do it no matter who is around them. That doesn't mean you stop trying, because the upside when you do land one is enormous and means you're going to be a competitive franchise for 10+ years.

We need 1 of 2 things to be consistently good - a good young QB or an offensive guru at HC. We can potentially get one of those things this draft. I'd rather take a shot at setting the franchise up for years than give ourselves a slightly better chance of winning the Super Bowl next year with Rodgers and then being screwed afterwards anyway.

KY Jets Fan, joelip and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If the Jets can get another first round pick or even a 2nd rd pick then yes. Otherwise I say go with OL, or WR.

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

No, because this coaching staff, namely Hackett, and Douglas will just ruin him. This regime should not be allowed another crack at the QB position. They've proven utterly incapable of handling it. It's as though they don't understand at all what they need to be looking for at that position.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

Yes, with a new everything else also.

20. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I know over time things can basically get blurred and twisted around to fit whatever the more appealing narrative of the moment is. Especially when it comes to fans needing to find or label their villains in the blame game. But let's not forget:

The same exact FO crew in place this year benched Zach Wilson mid-season last year, and by every account went into this past off-season 100% committed to the concept idea that Zach could *NOT* be this team's 2023 QB1. With our PR team even practically falling all over themselves from the instance it opened to get the report out that they Jets would first in line exploring all options to bring in that new QB. So unless you want to buy into some theory that the Multiverse opened up a portal and swapped our FO with their early 2021 counterparts, there was rationally only one meaningful variable to that equation that changed between then, and the immediate post-Rodgers injury stance the same people took a few month latter of "WE ARE 100% COMMITTED TO ZACH BEING OUR GUY. THIS IS ZACH'S TEAM. WE WILL NOT CONSIDER ANOTHER STARTING QB POSSIBILITY. UNLIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE PAST LOSING A QB1 WEEK 1 WE WILL NOT EVEN BRING IN ANYBODY FOR A TRYOUT LOOK THIS WEEK. MUCH LESS BE MAKING ANY HEDGE BETS. CARSON WENTZ ISN'T MAKING IT PAST THE SECRETARY WHEN HE CALLS IN". With that one variable mind you then already prepping to lay that foundation of "I'm coming back this year!" claims that would naturally be keeping him in the headlines and his narrative role as this team's savior intact.

Rodgers didn't leave $35m on the table to come our crappy franchise, with the promise of this being *HIS* team and grand show, to potentially end up recreating and then running the risk of replicating the same potentially ugly swan song scenario that would of been staring him down in GB. If he wasn't going to sign off to Woody on being good with the idea of the Jets bringing in a better potential thunder stealing option this year then Zach or Hackett's boy Boyle to fill in for him, there is literally no way he'd be good with bringing in some hot shot high lottery pick to sit behind him. I don't care if this team fell all the way down to the #1. Never. Gonna. Happen.

Drafting QB in the 1st is off the table with him in the building and Woody still breathing. Period.

#20 Kronoking, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023