Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I guess i'm gonna cross the "Will The Thrill" T-shirt off my Christmas list....

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Forget even the whole win-now stuff for a second man. Even if Huff leaves (and he wasn’t even as highly regarded around draft time last year), we would’ve been fine on the defensive line for the foreseeable future with JFM, JJ, Q, Clemons and another supplemental pick of signing.

All the while, we still would’ve had Garrett Wilson and trash for the foreseeable future.

We need to create a pipeline of good receivers or at least attempt to.

teamgreen and ouchy like this.
  3. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I agree- our offense has been putrid. Even with Rodgers, we need as many resources as possible on that side of the ball.

We have a defensive coach, he can make do with the personnel he is given. We beat the Eagles with Craig James and Bryce Hall, I trust Saleh when it comes to defense.

4. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Which is fine when you consider that Huff is a FA next year, Lawson is gone and JFM could be cut to save cap money. Clemons was a 4th round pick, likely to stay a backup.

GMs aren't just looking at immediate needs in drafts, they consider the long term ramifications as well. Good GMs go BPA, not reach for need. Edge is arguably the 2nd most important position in the NFL, it's one unit I don't mind having extra depth at.

#184 Jets OG fan, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

He was called one of the worst Joe Douglas moves. That's completely false. He's not even on the radar of bad moves by Joe Douglas, that's why I posted the list.

McDonald also almost single handedly won us the Giants game with that jump move. If there was good oline available at the pick, I'd agree, but there wasn't. End of story.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If Douglas drafted McDonald because Huff is a pending FA isn't that the very definition of drafting for need instead of "best player available"?

he knew the Jets would need a pass rusher in 2024, so he drafted Will McDonald

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And you keep ignoring the fact that our receivers and tackles fucking suck and with or without Will McDonald the defensive line would’ve been fine next year and the year after.

REVISion, teamgreen and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well what are we 11 games into the season and McDonald is finally getting extensive playing time? I know he was injured for a few games. I hope he can finish the season strong.

10. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Did he play any snaps today? 0-fer on the stat sheet, just wondering if he was out or just didn't register a tackle, etc.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he played. Not sure how much but I know he came in a bit when JJ went down for a little.

12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

At this point, he needs to play every damn snap. Just awful roster management.

James Hasty and JetDan like this.
  13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Well worth the draft pick!

A developmental pass rusher, with the amount of issues the offense has, just what we needed.

teamgreen likes this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

Then develop his ass. Shut down Jermaine Johnson for all I care.

15. Khan

Khan Active Member

Could be wrong but I thought I saw him diving at Ridder's face when a backfoot sideline completion was made to Pitts.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No more drafting defense in the first for the next couple years. Fix the damn offense!

dmw, teamgreen and REVISion like this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

18. WoodyHarrelson

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Of course I would rather have had a legit OL or WR with that pick, but I do think McDonald is going to be a good player - and maybe already is.

I don't think he precludes them from resigning Huff. This defensive scheme is predicated on DL rotation. JJ & W McD are still on rookie deals and Lawson will be cut so I think it's reasonable for Huff to be resigned.

I think they'll be able to "save" some money in other spots, like S for example, where they're getting solid play from UDFA Tony Adams and honestly think they can get by next year with Ashtyn Davis and Chuck Clark at the other spot.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Davis looks much improved. He is still only getting a handful of snaps though on defense and he will be a free agent himself so he will need to be re-signed

I do think they could skim some money from the safety position like you say but I think Huff is as good as gone. He's probably going to finish the year with around 10 sacks. He will hit FA at 25 years old coming off a 10 sack season, it almost doesn't make sense to try and outbid people for that