Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Id pay that. What else would we do? Re-sign Duane Brown? lamoooo

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a pretty decent OT FA class
    tyron smith, jonah williams, trent brown are options. I'm not against bringing becton back either.
    in the draft there are 2 OTs expected to go top 10 and 3 more in the 1st.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Trent Brown is a 380 pounder that gets hurt as much as Becton. Same deal with Tyron Smith. He’ll be 33 next year and has missed a ton of games in the last 3-4 years. He’s also appeared in the injury report a ton due to reoccurring back and neck problems.

I’m surprised you think it’s a decent class, I think it’s pretty weak and the entire league is going to be trying to sign Jonah Williams to a bigger contract than he probably deserves.

JetFanInPA and SOJAZ like this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

Here is the issue, we say this every year and no top OL signs here in the offseason

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

There were others I seen before too. Yes they are older except williams. brown played all games last year and only missed a couple this year (plus missed 1 for personal reasons death in the family) and is turning only 31 soon which isn't old for an OT. hell peters just started at 41 and whitworth played until he was 40 and barely missed time. O-line cna play into their mid 30s pretty easily if they are good enough. smith however has been pretty beat up the past few years and about to turn 33. but yeah it looked better then I thought. I remember seeing more options earlier in the year. Draft is the way to go it seems. Could probably get one of the top 2 options since it seems we'll be picking top 10

6. GasedAndConfused

CMG was the 2nd best OC on the market. Tomlinson was the best OG on the market.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

Heard an interesting call today on Bt and Sal. He said JD drafted McDonald looking two years out. Thinks we won’t re-sign Huff because of this move. Makes sense.

sad thing is Huff would give us a hometown discount I’m sure but it’s pointless to sign Huff due to JJ and WMCD. Or, trade one of those guys.

BrooklynJetsFan and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not last year he wasn't. He was on a decline at the end of last year and was only offered veteran minimum. And he played like garbage this year, as a continuation from the end of last season.

We probably might have to now, since the resources need to be allocated towards offense. What an awful decision by JD. Luxury today necessity tomorrow? How about necessity today and tomorrow, JD? What about a dire need today and tomorrow? Pretty terrible, and absolutely awful if we end up losing Huff.

REVISion likes this.
  9. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

It would be quite ironic, that one of Joe D's best moves in picking up undrafted Huff is let go because of cost, and replaced by Will McDonald one of Joe D's worst moves.

10. GasedAndConfused

when we originally signed him, he was. that was the point. JD has brought in top o-lineman at a premium price. CMG and Tomlinson were them. he's also used 2 1sts and a 2nd to round out the starting line. thats a lot of assets in a couple of years

Jets OG fan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

quincy was his best move. waiver wire pick up. devoloped him, then extended him cheap and now we have a pro bowl LBer costing 6 mil a season for 3 years

12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The line is a hot mess, but it's not because of not trying. A lot of resources has been put into the Oline, and it hasn't worked out for basically every reason you can imagine.

I think there's still some self inflicted wounds here. I personally wouldn't draft a behemoth like Becton if he didn't have an equal work ethic/discipline. It took two major knee injuries for him to put more into his off season.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Plus Wirfs came from an OL factory school. Just a really bad whiff there. This Becton vs. Wirfs thing is beyond beaten to death but the ripple effects of that mistake during JD's first draft have been insane.

Borat likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

and in hindsight wirfs would have been better but they did come into different spots. wirfs got to be the RT on a great o-line with a superstar team of skill position layers and a HOF QB famous for getting rid of the ball fast and making his line look better then they are. becton came in to anchor a shit line at LT behind a failing draft pick QB and got rolled up on by a shitty RG who got pushed into him. no telling how wirfs career and bectons would have ended up if we took wirfs instead. maybe he gets hurt on our shit line and becton dominates in tampa and people say we should have taken becton. thats why hindsight can't really be judged. you can also argue the browns should have taken wirfs over willis who hasn't been great but at least hasn't really missed any time which in case we would have had becton or willis.

it's rare for teams to take the "ideal" player in hindsight for them in a draft. probably less then 20% do each year

Ralebird likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I remember specifically happy when Broderick Jones was drafted before our pick - cause I wanted jaxon smith-njigba and part of me wanted Michael Mayer

I didn’t think Jordan Addison would be this good and I did like Zay Flowers but I just had Elijah Moore vibes from him

i was definitely meh with our pick at the time

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I understood the decision at the time because Becton was an LT (who didn’t have an injury history in college) and Wirfs was only a RT in school, so I didn’t bitch about it then.

However, even then I DID like the idea of drafting Iowa OL…seems like those Big 10 schools churn those big guys out…always a good idea to go OL there.

But still, I understood the thought process, and since then Wirfs has shown he can play LT I believe

17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

This is delusional. He's not one of his worst moves, there are much much worse, and McDonald will be good.

18. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

For all we know Wirfs comes in and the same thing happens as happened to Becton and he gets injured for 2 years.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah Wirfs plays LT now. People used to act like going from RT to LT was like going from RT to CB.

For all we know, a meteor could've hit Wirfs' house and rendered him a bust.

20. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

"One of"

Also delusional? Playing 13% of the snaps as a first-round pick. A developmental pick, in a win-now year(If Rodgers was healthy)

And yes I agree, he is going to be a good player, just not the player we needed. Much worse- I can't disagree there- there is a laundry list of Joe D moves that stink

REVISion likes this.