QB - Now/Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Nov 24, 2023.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm going to get the QB for 2024 thread going now. I'd like to see where everyone else is on the topic.

For my own little landing spot of lament I need to ask a very simple question:

Are we REALLY starting a guy (Tim Boyle) with a career college passer rating of 60.3? 55.5% completion percentage with 12 TD's vs 26 INT's?? Let me say that again, 12 TD's vs. 26 INT's during his ENTIRE college career? Seriously? I wouldn't even think stats like this, at mid-crap colleges, would get you an invite to training camp let alone on an active roster!! I mean, holy shit. Seriously??

Guys like Colin Kaepernick and Wentz were on the street for next to free and THIS is what we trot out!?! I also don't want to hear all the bullshit assholes and their whining about, "Kaepernick kneeled...whine, cry boo hoo!" That fucker has more talent in his right hand than Tim Boyle will ever have with 20 years of experience! I don't give a shit about personal politics. I want the best chance to win games!!! I don't care if Wentz is an asshole! Clearly not big enough of an asshole that kept Sean McVay from signing him. Kaep, Wentz...any of them... ONE of them should have been on our roster 10 minutes after Rodgers achilles was confirmed snapped. The LACK of COMMITMENT to winning this organization has put on display, since 1969, is ASTOUNDING. Not too sure which is worse, their lack of commitment to winning or my stupidity in still following this crack pot joke of an organization. I guess it is what it is until I've had enough abuse.

Having said that, The NY Jets better draft QB's and O-Line in 2024 with every single useless pick they have. Every one. Fuck drafting a WR. THAT can be gotten via FA. Target O-line in FA too. I will sit here and GUARANTEE you that Rodgers does not play the entirety of the 2024 season and, when he's gone for the year again, this team BETTER have a fucking solution that doesn't start with Tim Boyle and end with Trevor Simien. Zack Wilson better not even be ON the team next year.

I'd say tank the rest of the season to have a shot at the one or two top QB's but this team, as they did a couple years ago, have done just enough to shit that option away. They'll probably draft another fucking DL.

OH, one last thing, whatever QB any one of JD, Woody or Saleh pick as a potential draft prospects make sure you flush that shit down the toilet. NONE of them are qualified to make that decision. What they need to do is find out who's QB hunting for the likes of the 49'ers, Chiefs et. al., get them drunk and pick their brains on who they think is going to be a serviceable option for the pro's. It damn skippy sure isn't the people who thought a guy like Zach Wilson or Tim Boyle was worth a roster spot on a Semi-Pro team let alone an NFL roster.

Let the hashing begin...

#1 mezzavo, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    Jeff M, papapump, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ve pumped up this kid a couple times but I’ll post the highlight tape for Michael Pratt again. I think his floor is a multi-year backup that runs a competent offense. 4 year starter that didn’t transfer away from Tulane when they were utter dogshit his freshman and sophomore year. Has played very good against power 5 schools in his career.

They play UTSA in what should be a pretty good game today at 3:30 if anyone has a second screen or gets sick of the Jets that quickly. UTSA also has a mid-round QB named Frank Harris that’s played like 7 years of college football. He’s a bit small for the NFL though.

SOJAZ, Cman68, dawinner127 and 2 others like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I can see maybe using a 4th rounder to try and find gold but I really don't trust JD to find a good QB. His two previous picks, Morgan and Wilson, were terrible.

TBH we have a 60 million dollar QB next season and its not really the year to be looking for a new one when we have limited resources and to many holes.

JohnnyJet and mezzavo like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jets are just Woody's vanity project.

Wins are happy accidents at this point.

NY Jets68 and JohnnyJet like this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Get this cleared by Aaron Rodgers and I'm in :)

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

After you posted this a while back I went digging. I would absolutely drop a 3rd on this kid. He has some tools to work with and appears to have the mental make up to withstand the NY nightmare (media/fans). MOST kids would have run with the Tulane program in shambles. The fact he chose to stay and work through it say a lot about who he is. Definitely worth a deep dive on him.

The signing of Rodgers was unfortunate. Personally, while I think Rodgers is a GREAT QB, he is at an age where, unless he is behind the 90's Dallas Cowboy's line, will not survive a full season. He no longer has the wheels to get out of trouble and he's to be too brittle to sustain the beating he is inevitably going to take. This is the greatest misstep of JD's tenure here. Even with the $30 million "discount" he VASTLY overpaid for next to zero production. He also proved to me that he doesn't have the stones to run an organization. Any GM, comfortable in his own skin, would have told Woody to pound sand. The team could have gone after someone a whole lot cheaper and gotten a lot more production out of them than what Rodgers is going to be able to do. Carr, Garoppalo, Dobbs...there were names out there that would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and probably not lost for the year. We are all convinced that average QB play gets the Jets to the playoffs and, once in, anything can happen. Especially with our defense. I don't know...I think relying on Aaron Rodgers for the 2024 season will be an even larger catastrophe than signing him in the first place.

Mehl-56, papapump, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think you’ve also mentioned that kid from Washington st? I think his name is Ward? Will throw this game on the other tv

8. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Excellent post

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey JV, if the Jet game gets crazy, post the link to this kid's game today. I'd like to see more of his style of play. He has the arm and the size and apparently, the moxie to be able to play here.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah but Cam Ward went way down hill after I started hyping him. Partly on the OC as well. Teams rushed 3 dropped 8 and with no running game he’s been lost. I think he goes back to school and is top 5ish in Heisman odds next year.

It’s on ABC so any one with a cable app can watch it.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

got it set to record while I watch the NYETS. :)

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I never wanted Aaron fucking Rodgers but our senile old fuck owner has an erection for superstars. This team is completely fucked for the next 10 years at least. Just as quickly as the long rebuild “ended” here it comes again. Just fire everyone above players, and trade everyone with any value. This team needs to be folded, we don’t deserve this shit every year. FUCK!!!!!

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If there's ever a QB available with the last name PAIN, it's a no-brainer.

sackexchange likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There will be a QB available with the last name Penix...

sackexchange likes this.
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

You know what nickname Jets fans would give him.

16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Whatever happens with Rogers, if we’re picking top 7, you HAVe to get a QB or it’s this all over again. Eventually, you have to try again and we aren’t winning another game this year.

17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

You only take a QB that high if Douglas is not the one picking him. He's proven completely incapable of handling that position with anything that resembles competence.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Never wanted Rodgers ((or Wilson) I really should be the GM of this team...) - the problem with going after any QB whether in the draft or FA is you just know deep down that they are either going to get injured or be crap - this team just feels so cursed and unlucky that I cannot imagine anything going right for them at the QB spot (the spot that really matters) - the one time they could've got a franchise QB in living memory they even manage to screw that up

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

So what? We go into next year with Aaron and a legit backup then what? Wait to lose another 12 games the year after to try again you pick you guy after this awful season and let him sit one year.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Pats waived Will Grier. He's better than anyone we have right now and might be a good developmental add.

This is where we're at