If NE wins another Super Bowl this year....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IrishSteveZ, Jan 7, 2007.

1. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

I don't care. If they win so be it and if they lose good for them. I just care about the Jets and our off-season. Let's just worry about ourselves.

2. Sean_in_titletown

You might be right. But let's be honest. If Indy has to settle for field goals over TD's (like last weekend) than I think they will be on the losing end of the game. Look at the Jets/Pats game. That was the difference. NE's red zone D is best in the league. Don't tell Tomlinson that though. that guy is a freak! (and a cry baby). Vinatieri's only weakness is that his kickoffs aren't great. I think that could hurt them this week as Gostkowki will be booming them deep into the endzone this week. Hopefully neutralizing Terrance Mathis.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

True. I didn't mean because you play Indy this week and they have Vinatieri, just the kicks he's made for you guys over the years. The two in the snow got the whole thing going and he won a Super Bowl (or is it two?) with GW kicks. As we Jet fans know all too well, one bad kick can ruin your season and you guys were immune to that with him on your team. Maybe you still are with Gostkowki, with our luck you probably are.

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I generally agree, but it is not like the Patriots didn't want to resign the players you mentioned (besides Law). The Pats just didn't want to pay market value for them and Milloy was flat out cut. Givens and Patten somehow commanded bigger dollars, McGinest was/is old and was worth much more to the Browns. Branch was a Super Bowl MVP and #1 target and in my opinion deserved the money. Meanwhile not resigning Vinatieri was just dumb considering all the cap money unspent this year.

And in terms of taking below market dollars, the Pats, I think have been lucky to find a collection of high quality talent that is willing to do that. Although, Brady clearly wasn't/isn't happy that he took below market money and the Pats refused to re-sign Branch and will end the season with ample cap space.

I imagine you will just fire back that the Pats are in the AFC title game, so their system works and I agree with you. But, it isn't like the Patriots haven't made mis-steps along the way.

Also, in addition to Colvin the Pats signed Harrison and Ted Washington in the same off-season and none of them were for below market deals. They seem to be willing to spend some $$$ on defense, but not on offense.

#64 BlairThomas#1, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cory Dillon?

6. Italian Seafood

It's similar to what the Devils have always done in hockey. There are some players in sports who would rather be on a winning team for less money, realizing that it's still more money than you make in any other job.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry it is not "lucky" as you say but it is astute drafting & signing UFAs. IMHO besides having both a quality HC & QB they also have a top notched FO

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Maybe lucky wasn't the right word, but "fortunate". Sure they are drafting "high character" guys, but I doubt they ask them them in a pre-draft interview that should they become a star player and the team is successful would they be willing to re-sign a below market contract.

The Pats don't sign many high profile UFAs other than mentioned above and those they do have been at market value. Colvin, Washington and Harrison didn't sigh for below market (from what I recall). Dillon's extension was at market value for a 31-year-old RB.

On a related note, the Pats tried, unsuccessfully ,to structure Brady's (below market bonus) in four installments that weren't all guaranteed on the signing of the deal. If any QB was worth $24mm in bonuses at the time he signed it was Brady. (Manning got $34.5mm and Vick $37mm in bonuses the year before.)

9. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Dillon was a trade, not a free agent signing.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

They did re-sign him for $5mm per over 2 years with an option to extend to $25 over $5mm at 31.

(Just some info)

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Having owned my own biz U can slice/dice it anyway U want but it is called top notch management that makes them what they are. Here is a example use Kimo who we signed as a UFA we gave him bonus & he probably will be gone this year & while we hurried to sign him NE must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

12. Sean_in_titletown

All three guys...No one was knocking down their doors to sign them. In fact Ted Washington was a trade 2 weeks before the season started. Dillon was a "problem guy" who they took a flyer on. Michael Turner is the Antwan Randel El of this year's offseason. Some dope like Snyder will pony up a kings ransom. Have you seen how many teams are under the cap by 20+ million $'s? The Jets aren't even in the top ten in terms of cap space and they have nearly 26-28 million. The Patriots were lucky to get cap casualties like. Harrison and Dillon. The days of June 1st cap casualties are long gone.

NE has two first rounders this year and they're playing the Conference championship game for cripe Pete. Hypothetically speaking, how would you feel if Jericho Cothchery were traded 1 week before the season because he didn't want to go into his contract year without an extension? It would suck. And it did for us when Branch was traded. But, it seems to have worked out pretty well. They went 12-4 and have a pretty decent shot at the Super Bowl again.

13. Italian Seafood

But they did have to knock down his wall to get him out of the house.

14. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I don't disagree on your first point. The Patriots are probably the #1 organization in major sports today. No organization makes the right decision 100% of the time. Didn't the Pats trade a draft pick for Gabriel only to cut him halfway through the season?

How do you know that NE was laughing all the way to the bank? Do you have proof?

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i hope you didnt bet on that lol

16. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

there is one good thing to NE winning the superbowl

we can say we beat the superbowl champions :smile:

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's like finding a ray of sunlight in a black hole. Congratulations.

18. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The point I was trying to make is I really think it is rare to find a collection of talent the is more loyal to winning than a big free agent contract. Yes, the Patriots organization targets certain type of people, but they have been fortunate that many of these guys didn't have a change of heart when their agent was yapping about big money in their ear.

I mean, what was the likelihood that Troy Brown would get screwed over/cut by the Patriots after being the ultimate team player to the detriment of his stats and worth as a player and then return to the organization.

19. JetRhodes84

JetRhodes84 New Member

I will definitely be rooting for the Colts. I hate the Patriots almost as much as the Dolphins, if thats possible. What LT said about the Patriots carries a lot of weight in my opinion.

"I would never react in that way. I was very upset," Tomlinson said. "When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for, that is disrespectful. They showed no class and maybe that comes from the head coach."

That said, I learned a long time ago to bet against Brady, but they acted like they have never won a Super Bowl. I'd much rather see Peyton lift the Lombardi trophy this year

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

NE is a dynasty, I tip my hat to them. If they win it again it would be an amazing feat. tom Brady is the best QB in football and it's not close, this team isn't anywher near as talented as 2-3 years ago and yet they are on the verge of winning it again. I hate belichick, I hate Boston fans(most of them, we do have a few great ones on here that I like) but they deserve it and if they win it at least Vinny and Mickens go out winning.