Sauce Gardner’s trade value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Nov 20, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

While I truly do agree with you, at some point they need to start building on he right side of the ball. Over the past 2 decades we’re had some of the greatest D’s in the league. We’ve torn down and rebuilt D’s in a matter of a season or two. It’s easy to rebuild a D. If we’re going to continue to be a loser franchise then please God let us be a 40-30 score variety of losing. Going down 9-0 and feeling it’s insurmountable is just awful to experience.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

A great teammate doesn’t stand in front of a microphone and say that an 80 yd TD they gave up was on another teammate. Whether it was or not. A leader stands there and takes the blame. Especially in todays day where tomorrow there would be 100 armchair twitter analysts that would have quickly identified that he wasn’t to blame. We have a lot of selfish players worried more about themselves right now because the coaches have lost their respect.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What team is winning in the NFL with defense and a running focused offense (by a RB)? This shit is antiquated.

Defense is neutralized by these bullshit roughing calls or DPI calls.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it is, but the steelers and browns are defying all logic by doing it currently.
    We don't have a run game though. nobody is winning without an offense

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I do agree with you. Ahmad has some growing up to do

The leaders on that defense are Mosley and the Williams'

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Right now I think it would have the opposite effect. The message would be if you do well, you get traded. But if you do poorly and are the franchise's golden boy, you're still here. The only way it would send the message you want it to would be for a new GM who knows what he's doing to make the move.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is that there is no way they can turn this roster around in 1 offseason.

ouchy likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Probably true, but there's a chance if we tank the rest of this year, trade down from #4-5 overall, and trade Quinnen or Sauce.

9. GasedAndConfused

We don't need a full turnaround. we will lose some defense but need to fix the offense.
    OT (2 good ones) and WR are priority.
    backup QB will be interesting.
    Don't expect a ton of change in the offseason. the "fix" is basically a healthy rodgers, more WR talent and fixing the o-line.

RochesterJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. Under this regime we have done a piss poor job in a bunch of areas at bringing in talent. But when we finally get a keeper or two, we should trade them for a load of picks to be selected by people that don’t have a very good track record so we can build this team again. I completely refuse this notion till we have a no shit top of the line front office and CS. It would be like throwing away good money after bad.

#50 LAJet, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not really advocating for it, moreso pondering it. But I ask you - how exactly do we fix the offensive issues? We have little cap space after draft picks and $7-10 million usually kept for flexibility. Cut Uzomah, Lawson for some room and maybe we’re working with $20-$25 million?

The only tackles we have under contract are Warren and Max Mitchell. AVT will likely not be ready by opening day. So we have three gaping holes on the offensive line with limited cap space. We have one good receiver and a bunch of trash behind him. We have a decent tightend and a backup draft pick that’s been pretty bad.

And these aren’t only short term problems, these are long term problems. Tomlinson has been OK at best because he’s not awful. Tippman the same thing although he’s probably more suited to be a guard than a center. No backup QB and we have ZW’s $11 million weighing on us whether we keep him or cut him.

So how do you fix it? What would you do? We’re going to roll into next year with a possibly worse offensive cast, the same defense and fight the Raiders to lose 16-12 even with Rodgers?

REVISion likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

well i do agree with most of this,
    the issue with trading a player on a rookie deal for the trading team is you don't really save cap room. trading sauce takes him from a 9mil cap hit to a 10 mil cap hit (we lose 1 mil) plus we have to pay his replacement and the extra 1st round pick. so it makes it tough. it works better on a team with a lot of cap room that wants to compile picks and shed future salary while eating it now. like we did with adams years ago. the trading team gets the benefit of the cap room (3.7 and 5.2 next 2 years) and the guaranteed great player. we really aren't in that position yet.

especially after this season, we are going to look to stock up however we can for a playoff run with rodgers for 1 more year. I think we could see some moves like trading sauce in 2025 when we tear the team down yet again sadly.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Kudos to the OP for posing an "out of the box" solution, and one bound to be controversial. For myself, I'd have to think about this because the part of the SOJ 'Recipe for failure" is to hit on a draft pick almost out of the blue, and then trade him 2-3 years down the road, and there is no long term stability produced from that.

OTOH, this is exactly why I said picking Sauce over Icky was the wrong move. We still have an OT hole, and while Sauce is very good, he's not a game changer.

If the offer were good enough - at least two firsts - I'd probably do it. I'd much prefer trading him than Quinnen who provides much more impact that Sauce does or can provide from the CB spot.

But here we go again, ANOTHER fucking rebuild! When will the Jets get actually good people in charge?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

The only thing I’ll dispute is Sauce’s game changing ability. I think the Jets scheme limits this because they don’t let him travel with #1’s and I think they should. He’d have a bigger impact IMO.

The Sauce pick is one I have a hard time giving Joe D. a ton of credit for. It would’ve been hard to select a bad player there (Thibodeaux, Ickey, Charles Cross, etc. are all good players).

abyzmul likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, if they let Sauce cover the other team's best receiver he'd make more of an impact, but still, more of an impact than a good OT, especially a good LT? I don't think so. In any case if they were going to use Sauce like they have, didn't they know this when they picked him? And if so, why did they value him more than a top OT? And if they didn't know that when they picked him, why not?

This team's "draft strategy: boils down to: stockpile top defensive talent whether they need them or not, and rely on their defensive-minded personnel to identify offensive talent to draft. There's an old saying" "Whatever you focus on you get more of". It's abundantly clear where the Jets focus has been for decades and still is.

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Trading a guy like Sauce would be a terrible move. You don't trade All-Pro talent for draft picks which very well may, given that this is the Jets, turn out to be busts. Draft picks are like lotto tickets. You don't trade in the jackpot for more tickets.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hear that. We are hosed. I fully concur that we have a major cap problem on our hands. We signed up for that when we brought in A Rodgers. Unfortunately, that move way overestimated the talent base in many areas but most of all with the OL for starters. Plus we brought in three free agent WRs to help AR and became a major waste of slots as soon as he went down. Our options are limited period.
    We might very well have to make a trade or two but no one on the rookie deal would be beneficial to relieve the cap.
    From my viewpoint Lawson, Uz, Cobb and Lazard are expendable but two of the four might adversely impact the cap so we are screwed there.
    What I would do is use the entire draft and stock pile OL and WR. Trade down if you have to. This is not a BPA kind of year when the cap is so tight.
    One guy that I would hate to see go on a trade but it could happen is Q. Also Mosley might be gone. Bottom line JD is going to patch up a team best way he can to give AR a shot at a quick pass offense but the options are limited.
    There is a part of me that secretly believes not having AR back might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Bring in a serviceable QB take the hit and no shit start building a team next year.

18. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

100% agree. I don’t want Aaron Rodgers back next year. The right move is to fire Douglas and Saleh and start anew.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It will be painful to the cap to cut any of the players that restructured this past offseason. They got extra guaranteed dollars that would accelerate when cut or traded. They doubled down on the roster.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

That only works if there’s a willing trade partner and we only have a first and third round pick to kickoff the draft.

Maybe we punt on trying to get a QB in a draft that’s rich with QB’s that have a ton of starting experience and someone wants to trade up.

LAJet likes this.