What can be done to improve the offense right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

One of the two other quarterbacks currently on the team roster.

Jets81 and Unhappyjetsfan like this.
  2. HackettSuxTNG

When did I suggest that I should take the field?

3. HackettSuxTNG

What is a reasonable response to a quarterback who has spent three years literally breaking records of production futility? This is not hyperbole. You have seen the stats and the tweets and the posts. He has performed worse in certain vital categories than any quarterback that has ever suited up for the position for three years.

What would you consider a reasonable response to Zach Wilson? Forget about all the other issues such as the offensive line (which team in the NFL has a solid offensive line right now?), or the OC (or the prior OC, mind you), or the WRs (Which at the start of the year everyone claimed this team had enormous depth), or the TE's (See WRs.)

Since you, and you alone, claim ownership of what is reasonable for everyone on this board What is a reasonable response to Zach Wilson.

Enlighten a poor soul like me.

SOJAZ and SackRecord99 like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They fixed part of it. By not starting Billy Turner. Keep the OL as is.
    Lazard either is too hurt or needs to be replaced in the lineup. Put whoever in his slot.
    Play Izzy and Hall in some sets, get the best athletes on the field.
    What’s funny is Uzomah is rated like the 5th best per PFF, but let’s get Ruckert some burn. Oh and get these guys in space more…Hall, Wilson and Gipson are your twitchy and best guys in space. Make it happen.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

To all, most of you know I lost faith in ZW a long time ago and felt he was substandard. Do not get me wrong, at times he actually looked like a an NFL QB (not often mine you but in some cases he did, i,e, KC game , Tampa game, Pitt game...) but after reading this analysis, I was stunned at actually how bad he really is and its not close...

So I ask all the ZW defenders, truthers, etc. read this and if you still believe in him, then I really do not know what to think about your your ability to comprehend facts about this kid.

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

What a boring football but I like it!!!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

while I haven’t been on the ZW band wagon from the start, but have given him a chance the first two years to groom and have defended him the first 2 months this year only because he is the best we got. Sure I like to see what other 2 QBs can do but we’re looking at 3 bowls of shits. ZW is or was the better option. However now that may change and we could see a change during the Bills game or next start if he fails to execute. I think some may feel why they are defending ZW.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

just today :) (I may as well put words in your mouth like everyone one does to me)

9. GasedAndConfused

1) years 1 and 2 don't matter. If I take cooks last 3 years he's a top 3 RB in the NFL. clearly this year he isn't. all that matters is on sunday who gives us the best chance to win in their current state. between zach, boyle, and simian. it's clearly zach.

2) a reasonable response has been mine. he sucks, but he sucks less this year then he did last year, the team knows he sucks which is why they traded for rodgers and made him a backup, and he sucks less then boyle or simian

3) nobody claimed we had enormous depth at WR. we were well off before CD retired. after he retired we all said basically we are 1 GW injury away from the worst WR group in the NFL.

4) if you actually watch him and other QBs you'll see he's not even the worst current starter let alone worst QB ever. and people want him replaced with a guy who was unemployed 2 weeks ago. If we had a viable option, i'd get it. we don't.

ColoradoContrails and AtlantaJet like this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

Don't punish me for the actions of others.

11. GasedAndConfused

I would say you have a fair point, but you put words in my mouth too several times so how about you don't do it to me and I won't do it to you :)

12. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Robbie Anderson just waved by Dolphins - Never liked him but desperate times...

13. GasedAndConfused

always liked him before but he's been washed for a few years now. i'd rather give gipson, brownlee and taylor more snaps.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He runs routes that Zach isn't allowed to throw.

stinkyB, dmw, Savatage and 2 others like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s pretty mind blowing that we haven’t seen Hackett try to go back and run a 1980s style offense. Always under center, several tightends on the field or a fullback tightend. Play action boot left. Play action boot right. Run, run, run. Jet sweep run towards sweep side. Jet sweep run away from sweep side.

It’s not that different from the offense McVay ran with Gurley and Goff in 2018. Or for what it’s worth, what Gase modified the offense to be at the end of 2019 when he realized he didn’t have Peyton Manning and was playing a bunch of backup QBs.

I wasn’t a fan at all of the Hackett hire at all because it was just so Jetsy but the one fall back in my mind was that I thought we were getting the Doug Marrone/Hackett/Leonard Fournette where we could go beat up teams in the winter.

Nope. We get three tightends on the field for a pass and then three receivers on the field for a shotgun run up the gut.

Borat likes this.
  16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Because when something works well in this offense, Hackett stops using it. Get it? Neither do I.

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

thats not a defense. it's just a fact. some things are out of the Qbs control. blaming the QB for drops or the o-lines run blocking is just insane

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

1. Bench Wilson / Start Simien
    2. Elevate younger players and bench the underperforming trash
    3. Pull the TE’s in and let hem block since they can’t catch
    4. Utilize the short passing game as an extension of the running game (which can’t be done with Wilson) and get the ball in Halls hands
    5. Evaluate Hacket and the young players
    6. Minimal / no improvement, Hacket goes
    7. If he goes, let Rogers call the plays or hire a Madden champion to do it - they probably have a better playbook

Since we know Hacket won’t get fired, 1-4 is the best option imo. All things offense should be under heavy scrutiny at this point.

Offseason - New OL coach at a minimum if we’re saddled with Hacket.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

@GasedAndConfused has a point here. Not that Zach's numbers are any good by any stretch of imagination, but that Siemian is nowhere near the same guy as he was before when he compiled these numbers. He did not make practice squad for the Bengals this year. Practice squad, not the main roster. I went back and watched preseason performance - it was pretty awful, and Bengals wanted none of it. That's why I didn't like the signing and wanted Wentz after the NE game. Also, JD signed Siemian some time back now. Supposedly he knows this system and shouldn't take long to get up to speed. Yet it is Boyle who is a back-up every game. At this point Siemian has not surpassed Boyle, which while we can blame on coaching not playing best players, is kind of consistent with not making PS for the Bengals and both of their preseason performances, where Boyle did significantly better than Siemian. On top of it all Siemian is a statue, which with our joke of an Oline JD built, just doesn't help.

Now, would it still make sense to bench Zach to see what happens, even for Boyle? At this point we could try, because it really can't get much worse. All I am saying is that JD gave us absolute bottom feeder scrub back-ups at QB, and it's quite likely they are even worse than Zach, even though Zach has not been good.

GasedAndConfused likes this.