Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Some teams might probably say "we had him as a 2nd rounder in 2023"

So it might actually have to be a 3rd rounder.

Jets81 and ouchy like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

can't really afford to. best option is to let him play out his contract as a backup (ends in 2024) and let him walk. you have to account for the cap.
    and before you say "niners did it" they were only afforded it because their starting QB is on a 7th round rookie deal making less then 1 mil so they were able to eat lance's cap hit. we have rodgers making 38mil a year so can't eat zachs contract without it costing us talent

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It's not hate. It's he is not getting any time. We needed to use this pick elsewhere to impact the team.

boozer32, JohnnyJet and REVISion like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not a bad plan. It would replace the pick we sent to the Packers for Rodgers. We'd have the full complement of draft picks and wish McDonald well.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade him now. That's revisionist history. Lawson will be gone next year. JFM isn't getting any younger. Let him develop at this point.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It only took 5 months to turn pick 15 into pick 62. Amazing idea.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

LMAO wow the football genius thinks it's a great idea to trade your 1st round DE half a season into his career for a late 2nd. while we have 2 Des as impending FAs and minimal cap room.
    Man It's great when you say stupid stuff which is pretty often

boozer32 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

I never said I was a football genius. That's more your style.

9. GasedAndConfused

nah I'm more of an idiot savant at best, but realistically just an average fan. like many here. just some are stupid fans here. like any place.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that is a bargain for being outmaneuvered so handily the previous year. Broderick Jones is turning heads right now.

11. GasedAndConfused

I wouldn't say turning heads. I mean he looks like a rookie. flashes of good stuff. is pretty athletic but struggling adjusting to his new position. He had a rough outing sunday against gary and looked like the worst steelers lineman in pass protection but he does seem like with experience he'll be solid and yes we could probably use him right now. Mitchell is awful opening holes in the run game. jones has done well with that but struggled with edge rushers where mitchell held up nice against crosby all things considered

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Most successful rookie LTs flash but struggle against the upper half of rushers early, especially when they enter the league in need of adding weight. I think Jones compares favorably to Brick Ferguson who also had his struggles as a skinny rookie. Jones is improving the way you want to see them and when he gains 10-15lbs of mass in the offseason he'll be one of the better mobile linemen in the league IMO.

13. wewantsapp

Wait - I was talking about Will McDonald. Zach Wilson?

14. GasedAndConfused

he's playing RT not LT.
    he isn't having trouble with strength, it's a positive for him currently. he's having trouble keeping up with speed rushers. his run blocking has been good. his pass protection is struggling. I didn't take a count myself but PFF said he was beat on 26% of his snaps by gary, but somehow only credited 1 pressure lol but watching the game gary was giving him issues same way thibbs gave becton issues.

15. GasedAndConfused

lol i mixed up threads. anyway getting rid of WMD makes no sense. we did the same thing to JJ last year and look at him now. he's a stud. we are finally taking time to develop rookies and not throw them into the fire and do things the way good teams do it.

16. wewantsapp

Was JJ a healthy scratch for a game last year?

I just don’t think we have the luxury to scratch a healthy 1st round draft pick when we’re 4-5.

Probably should have drafted a player at a different position who could have immediately contributed.

17. BrowningNagle

The swapping of picks was so unnecessary and dumb. Just hold the line.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I watched a clip of the Steelers, Broderick Jones pulled from right tackle all the way across the line on a run.

Then he drove a Packers linebacker right out of the play at the point of attack and their running back was untouched for like 10 yards

---

mcdonald does good on the kick team though, when hes active of course

blackssmagic and abyzmul like this.
  19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

That was also before Corey Davis quit on the team. If Jets grab WR there they'd probably be crucified by the same people complaining about McDonald and it would be called a reach.

And what's a rookie receiver going to do with Zach Wilson throwing him the ball? The Jets would be in the same exact spot. It's not like those dudes were Garrett Wilson or even close. Oline would have also been a BIG reach there.

Now they have insurance in case Huff doesn't sign.

#59 Jets OG fan, Nov 15, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  20. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious that they thought the offense was good enough with Rodgers at the helm and a healthy oline, so reaching for a WR would have been criticized, but now in hindsight it's easy to just pile on since CD retired & half the oline is injured.