The biggest offensive disaster in NFL history

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsfansince95, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This offense being as bad as they are is 100% at the feet of Zach Wilson in my opinion. I do not believe he is the only one making mistakes out there by any stretch of the imagination, but the reason the Jets are historically inept is because they are playing a guy who should not even be in the NFL, at the most important position in all of sports, in a team game that requires the ultimate trust & faith in the person taking snaps.

I get trying to analyze Zach Wilson at the individual play level, dissecting each throw and trying to figure out whether or not he made the right decisions and/or what level of competency he displayed each time he dropped back, but that kind of analysis is highly misleading when applied to a horrible player because you can always find moments of clarity for anyone at the granular level. The macro view of Zach Wilson is all-telling: he's terrible, he's been terrible, and he's going to be terrible. Since the majority of fans know this, I'd wager the majority of guys in the locker room know it, too. And therein lies the problem.

The whole world knows this guy is unfit to be in the position he is, and for obvious reasons - he is NOT a quarterback who just doesn't have enough, a guy who can do all the basics but nothing even remotely special or beyond . A Ryan Fitzpatrick type. No, this is someone who cannot even execute the basics reliably - a quarterback who the team cannot count on to complete the simplest reads, screens, slants, throwaways, etc. at a meaningful rate. No matter what great throw/big play ability he flashes here and there, he literally cannot do the most elemental aspects of the job in the most mundane situations as needed. Everything else crumbles after that in a team sport like football.

You can point to drops by receivers, missed blocking assignments, poor coaching, and bad playcalls as other, contributing aspects to losing games, and you'd be correct. But they are red herrings for explaining why this team is losing the way it has with the level of talent they have. Every team has has bad drops, missed blocking assignments, and questionable coaching/play calling. But the inability of the Jets to get reliable and consistent execution on the most basic, elemental, rudimentary concepts out of the quarterback position is why they are in this specific spin cycle of historic ineptitude, in my opinion.

And all levels of management having a blind spot to the damage a, not just poor, but essentially non-function quarterback can have on a team's ability to compete is simply inexplicable to me. Like, it's right there in front of you - they literally can't score touchdowns and have some of the worst conversion rates in either decades, or the history of the NFL. And yet there is a full throated commitment to keep running the kid out there. The post mortem we get of the Zach Wilson era here is going to be fascinating when everyone is inevitably fired over refusing to move off the kid.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Why is it everyone can see he is a bust except Douglas and Saleh?

Jetsfansince95 and jets_fan like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Because they're just as bad at their jobs as Zach is at his.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I really believe the team GOES INTO the game expecting to lose knowing Wilson is the starting QB. Zach Wilson makes no one better and everyone worse. Any other coach or GM would have moved on to ANYBODY else at this point.
    It would NOT surprise me that if Douglas and Saleh are here in 2024 that Zach Wilson will be too. Then when Rodgers gets hurt again it will be Zach Wilson year 4.

jets_fan likes this.
  5. jets_fan

I can't even fathom the idea of being subjected to this again next season. But, you're probably right if Saleh and Douglas are allowed to continue to stay on and keep screwing this franchise over for another season.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Well that's exciting news

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

"Frustration is good."
    -Zach Wilson

Ralebird and sozopol like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yes, he is too much of a cheerleader and not enough of a disciplinarian. THAT is why there are so many penalties. He is liked but not feared by the players.
    The packers players hated Vince Lombardi but there is reason the super bowl trophy is named for him.

REVISion and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The point is, they don't have a better option, Douglas and SALEH are the worst GM and HC in Jets history, they make the Kotite years, not so bad, record wise these 2 idiots, should be gone.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. jets_fan

Them not having a better option is their choice because there have been plenty of chances to get a better option in here. They should have done it over the summer. And then they should have done it after Rodgers got hurt. Then they had both Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz call THEM about potentially coming in. But, the real killer, is that even after a month-plus of watching Wilson crap the bed week in and week out they could have had Jacoby Brissett or Josh Dobbs for a third day draft pick, and they still did nothing. Douglas and Saleh not having a better option is entirely on them.

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Saleh and Douglas are bad but it all starts from the very top. Woody and his brother hired Adam Effing Gase... that pretty much sums up how inept the Johnsons are. Woody seems to be grooming his son to take over when he's gone. This team is fucked.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We're all fucked...

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not everybody wanted him, not all were happy with the choice, but a large majority gave him at least a "wait and see," hoping for the best. We waited, we saw and now all we can do is hope for the best from the next guy.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Nah this is revisionist history.

Plenty of people fell victim to group think and praised the hire, but plenty were also highly skeptical of it. The fact of the matter, even at the time, was that Saleh didn't really have great defenses until he had absolutely stacked DLs. He's largely accomplished that here, but to the detriment of the offense (which is more important than defense anyway). Saleh wasn't exactly known as an X's and O's guru either, he relied on talent to produce good defenses and was fiery on the sidelines which people thought would translate to being a good coach for some reason.

Saleh was a complete over correction from Gase. We went from an introverted, disagreeable offensive coach in Gase to an extroverted, personable defensive coach in Saleh. This organization is totally braindead from top to bottom, so they basically just do the opposite of the last thing they did and figure it'll work out eventually. There's no critical thought or nuance in the organization. Heaven forbid someone think that maybe offensive coaches are still the way to go, we just hired a terrible one in Gase.

mattyd99 and tomdeb like this.
  15. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

These are exactly my thoughts and it starts with our coach

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  16. Jetsfansince95

What I don't understand is why with the same o line Rodgers gets hurt but Zach stays healthy

17. Jetsfansince95

HARD

18. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I want Rex back. At least Rex went to the AFC championship (twice) with the worst QB in the league.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It is funny/sad that a journeyman QB like Josh Dobbs looked more comfortable in the Vikings system after being there for 3 days than our QB has managed in years - we have the fewest TDs in the NFL so clearly there is a massive problem here and it seems to be a perfect storm of a bad QB, poor play calling, bad O-line play and a running game that never seems to do anything (if you look at the Giants they must be the only team with a worse QB than the Jets and so the line is always stacked and even then their running game is better than ours)

thankfully the Jets were on the late game that doesn't start until 1.30am here so I was spared having to watch another embarrassing performance live.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I wasn't and did sit up overnight to watch it. The two stats that struck me were,

This was the first game this season, game 9, in which the New York Jets have scored any points on their opening drive.

The New York Jets are now on a streak of 35 drives without a touchdown.

No chance of competitiveness with that.