The Official "Draft a QB in 2024" thread.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 6, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When Darnold was still with us JD promised OL upgrades !!

Hes a bad liar and overhyped "savior" who continued to ruin the Team while he deposits hefty checks

We need a Veteran GM and or a Veteran HC...No more newbies

mezzavo and barfolomew like this.
  2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

No confidence the Jets will select a 1st round Qb and have success/nail the pick. They have tried this again and again.

Build the oline. Let Rodgers come back for another year, bring in a guy like Darnold, Davis Mills, Minshew, etc. to back him up and draft/sign a late round Qb where you are not using too much draft capital... maybe catch lightning + seems Qb's who have a feel for the game, understand the position but maybe lack the top end ability are able to have success these days.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Who is the backup to a 40+ year old Aaron Rodgers next year?

barfolomew likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and in the fitz year we had decker and marshall. when we ran it back in 2016 and they got hurt the offense went to shit. it takes more then just a QB

5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

They def need to select a QB but it doesn’t have to be a first rounder. Heck it failed the last 4 times so let’s just get a QB in mid rounds and tryi it out.

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Im well aware of that, thanks.

7. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

As much as I like the idea of drafting a QB, they realistically have to draft an OT in the first round. If they don't, it won't matter who the QB is and Rodgers will get wrecked again.

Jeff M likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’d say they can pick up a FA but I don’t see them cutting Zach loose - not yet anyway.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Like I said until this OL gets fixed nothing else positive is going to happen with this offense

barfolomew likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

For the offseason we need to see a good veteran backup added behind Rodgers and then a rookie QB. Here are some UFA QBs next offseason who would also have the Jets in a better spot than they're in right now:
    Jacoby Brissett, Marcus Mariota, Tyrod Taylor, Gardner Minshew, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh Dobbs, Sam Darnold (lol, but seriously)

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just really don’t see how the franchise digs out of the hole they’re in. Rodgers retiring might be better to be honest.

We basically need 3 new offensive lineman, and 2 new receivers factoring in offensive line free agents. And I’m including Tomlinson in needing a new guard, he’s been bad.

Jets81 and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Idk, it's easier to hit on OL in rounds 2+ than it is to hit on a QB.

We're kind of screwed though because taking a QB in the first round with Rodgers coming back is a pretty dumb use of the pick. I'd probably aim for a WR in round 1 with a few OL thereafter. Maybe take a QB in the mid rounds.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

We also owe big Zach a salary next year as well as Rodgers his small fortune.

14. JetFanInPA

Let me attempt to be reasonably optimistic...
    Tippman and AVT are keepers. Becton hasn't been great but he may be worth resigning if it's not too big of a deal.
    I think one of Max Mitchell or Carter Warren needs to start at RT. JD needs one of those 2 to pan out. At least Mitchell is starting and may be average/below average but not atrocious and he's gaining experience. He could still get better.
    It's time to move on from Tomlinson and maybe replaced with a better free agent OG who will be cheaper. If you want to get crazy, resign McGovern to another cheap 1 year and let Tippman play RG next year as one option. McGovern isn't great but he's competent and Tippman can play C or G. McGovern could be good depth at least.
    Regardless though, they need to go OL heavy in the draft, at least 2 rookies with the first no later than the 3rd round, bolster depth, cut Billy Turner today, and pray for fewer injuries. If not for the injury bug, this unit is still not great but it's passable.

With skill players, they do need to bring in at least one other WR for sure. I hope Rodgers can elevate the group...

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

They should take the first round pick and trade back so that we can draft two or three linemen in the first three rounds. We need two starting tackles and a starting guard before we can start considering ourselves average on the offensive line.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair but we have $33 million in cap space. I’d guess at least half need to go to rookies? Re-sign Becton for $7 million (which I think is very conservative) and we’re out of space.

I know there’s cuts to Uzomah and others that can free up more space but it’s not looking great in terms of how much maneuverability we will have.

17. JetFanInPA

It's true. That's a big reason why I'd count on Mitchell or maybe Warren at RT. Need to rely on some of these draftees

A while ago I thought CJ Mosley would be coming off the books but he's proven to be a key part of this team. Some cuts to be made for sure: Duane Brown, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Lawson would save like $25mil especially post June 1st designations. And I'm sure there are restructures to be done.

But no I don't think they can make many bigtime free agent moves. The backup QB, a WR and maybe OL are the priorities. Defense needs nothing other than maybe a run-stopping rotational DT that wouldn't be a big hit.

Though if Rodgers comes back and plays well, this should still be a high end contending team. But get Jacoby Brissett and a rookie QB in the 1st or 3rd and I feel better

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

AVT needs to return to his "natural" position at LG. Becton is a much better run blocker than pass blocker and is better suited for the right side, that's not what he wants so I expect him to walk. Tippman will be solid and Mitchell is improving, maybe he can lock down the starting RT role next season. That leaves us without a LT and RG.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we need to draft players to help in 2024. we can draft a QB when rodgers retires.

unless you want a mid to late QB which is fine. never hurts to take a flyer on a 5th-7th round QB anyway. most of the players that late don't amount to much and you never know when you'll find the next purdy

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Cutting Mosley would save $11 million on the 2024 cap. Cutting Laken Tomlinson would save $9 million. Franklin-Myers would be $7 million. Uzomah saves $5 million.

Free agents in 2024 include Lawson ($6.5 million off the cap), Duane Brown ($5 million), Dalvin Cook ($7 million), Cobb ($3 million).

That's a lot of money that is going to be available. Of course, cutting Zach Wilson will eat $11 million. And there are a couple guys who might need to be re-signed for more money (I think Huff and Whitehead).