The schedule the rest of the way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Oct 22, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it comes down to the old coin flip example. just because it was heads the last 10 times doesn't mean there is any better chance of it being heads the 11th. it's still a 50/50 chance

cval likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I remember when the Jets were “the best 4-12 team in the league”.

3. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

Further to the earlier point that scouts continue to make poor evaluation assessments of QB prospects as they seem to overlook game processing intangibles in favour of physical capabilities......... I watched some NFL Live program on ESPN2 last night and Dan Orlovsky (former QB, now analyst) is arguing that Darnold will be fine if he starts this weekend for the 49ers because he is the most physically talented QB on their roster. Good grief. People get paid for this nonsense.

Won't they just ;)

I enjoy our conversations @ColoradoContrails. I find that I agree with most of your posts & opinions and, as an International person, it's great to share with real Jets fans that are nearer to it than me. The wonders of the Internet :)

For the record, I think Zach will play sufficiently well to get us a play-off berth.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the problem is that the very definition of intangibles should tell you it can't be measured. Some people will try to really define them when it's really the intricacies of their personality, how their life experience formed them and what traits emerged. And a trillion other factors. Trying to measure something like that would be like putting someone through the Truman Show.

I think many teams were scared off by quirks in Justin Herbert's personality that actually ended up being strengths. Even the Chargers said they were worried about the pick before he emerged. The guy is a beast.

stinkyB and REVISion like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still don’t get this whole stats doesn’t matter thing lol. It’s really being overblown here. People use stats as supporting evidence for what they believe they see with their eyes.

I.E. I believe X quarterback is good. He has played well against the schedule he faces. Here are the Y stats that prove my theory.

Of course there is plenty of context needed because football isn’t like baseball or basketball where it’s pretty easy to play percentages and get a predictive outcome whereas there is a lot more strategy and obviously variables in football.

I also enjoy the flex of who watches the most football simply knows the most because they put Sunday Ticket multiviewer on haha.

stinkyB and REVISion like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Likewise! And while I find I also agree with you often, at least when we disagree it's civil and respectful.:)

Jets79, Brook! and UK_Chilts like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, and yes "intangibles" means can't be measured. at least with precision. But they can be measured with some degree of accuracy. I don't mean they should be trying to measure a "trillion" factors, or even a 100, but there are certain traits that are critical to success as a QB - like those mentioned by UKChilts in their earlier post - that could be measured in some way.

Also, they could develop simulations that put a QB into a near-real environment and measure how he responds. Would it be really accurate? At this point in time maybe not, but probably accurate enough to tell whether they have the reaction time and processing ability to at least show they could be an NFL QB. With the advances of AI even in the last couple of years, I have to believe they could develop something along these lines.

8. GasedAndConfused

i mean it's not a flex, I was asked and I answered a question. I've never mentioned it before I was specifically asked.

and yeah thats pretty much what stats are, people use them to "prove a point" but it's cherry picked data without context which was my only point and i've been making the same point forever here. I think the earliest it goes back to where I really harped on it was he baker mayfield vs josh allen discussion during the draft when I said allen looks a lot more accurate on film if you watch it then baker and people were like "his career percentage is 55 and bakers is 70, baker is way more accurate" and I pointed out completion percentage =/= accuracy but a few were so obsessed with the number without actually watching them. for me I was watching baker complete passes but they were often off the mark and cost his team YAC and his receivers had to make tough catches when it should have been easy catches and pick up YAC. I watched allen drop dimes deep downfield only for them to be dropped. I didn't even argue that they could think he was more accurate I just said base it on the film and not the completion percentage and tell me what you see, forgot about the numbers. that was 6 years ago. IDK why your panties are all in a bunch over it now all of a sudden. I wasn't even the only one. Your buddy lasgar was the same way and while I didn't always agree with him, and His petty behavior before he left was not a good look, I always respected his opinion because at least it was his and not looking at a stat sheet and deciding from that which it's pretty clear some do. One of my brothers is the same way. he's a football idiot. he tries to talk football but says nonsense. watches like 3 games year and will say things like breece sucks, he's slow and always caught from behind. cook should get more carries. My other brother watches the games though and isn't like that. I grew up with it so I know both types of people.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

No, you weren’t asked. You’ve flexed about it a bunch and it’s hilarious. Keep doing it, please.

I’m the 3rd or 4th person to call you out for your arrogance in the past couple weeks, bro. But you’ve defended your own opinions with watching the most and quite frankly I think it’s awesome. Not reading the rest of your nonsensical paragraph.

10. GasedAndConfused

I was specifically asked because I was asked how many games I watch a week, and I answered and was told "it's impossible to watch that many games a week, how do you do that" so I explained it.

and no it's you and like 1 or 2 more assholes. the typical assholes who are the arrogant ones and project their shortcomings on others and then gaslight them. People like you live behind a computer doing the same thing. you aren't special. just another troll that the normal people have seen time and time again. I prefer not to get along with people like you, means i'm doing something right upsetting the fragile ;)

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Sounds good champ. Keep killing it out there!

12. GasedAndConfused

will do! you keep being you, you sexy little troll you :)

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no that’s not true. I did not ask how many games you watch in a week, nor did I care

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

For the record, I definitely do not watch the most football here.... usually the JETS and whatever game is broadcast when theyre not playing (which usually is the JAGS).... But I know almost everything because I'm blessed with off the charts intangibles that cant be measured, and I'm super duper smart!

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Everybody left on the Jets schedule scares me. When people start chalking up wins over who we should beat is when I go through the usual permutations: no sense of urgency, coming out flat, inexplicable choking, weird diseases, etc.

Does anyone remember when the Cheats got obliterated and destroyed by the garbage Cleveland Browns in Nov. 2010? Well, I do, and it was glorious. That being said, any given Sunday. Nothing is a gimme especially when you're the Jets.

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

GC,

Nobody reported your messages or anything. Shame on me for not seeing this earlier. This tone is an ugly one. Please stop with the insults. Asking kindly

Ralebird likes this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Had this question asked to me earlier this morning --

If the Jets average 20 PPG the rest of the way, how many games do you think they win in the remaining schedule? Do they get to 10 wins?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

i say no. 20 points doesn't beat the Chargers, @Bills or Miami X2 for sure. It likely doesn't beat Cleveland in Cleveland either. That alone is 5 losses or 9-8 without even considering some of the other games

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Not sure about that, Miami played 2 good teams and didn't score over 20 against either. It's an easy argument to say our D is better than both of those teams. Watson looks like hot garbage, definitely not scared of the Browns. I can't recall what the Bills game score was but I thought we held them under 20 already. I think if we can put 20+ up every game the rest of the season we are playoff bound.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Yeah we held the Bills to 16, just looked lol. Yeah, we score over 20 every game and we might be undefeated ROS ;)