And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I've seen the improvement and I agree with you. watching zach force that offsides was shades of rodgers and something I haven't seen a jet QB do in forever really. his audibles have been iffy at best though but could get better with experience.
    1 easy thing I want to see him do is like rodgers did in preseason, if you have GW 1v1 on the outside, call it out and throw a 50/50 ball and let him make a play for you. that should happen several times a game IMO. thats the point of having a GW

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Only Aaron Rodgers and Zach Wilson could have made a team jump offsides like that. It's not like a hard cadence isn't one of the most basic things a QB does.

stinkyB, BrowningNagle and Jets69 like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I can't believe, they didn't stop the game and rush Wilson's jersey to the HOF, he's the only QB in the modern era, to accomplish such a feat, drawing a off sides, I've only ever seen that, in the history books.

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He did it vs Denver and thew an INT (still think GW should have either caught it or batted it down) and then he had the one down the sideline vs Philly which was great. I wish we saw more of it as well. Let your best players make plays.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rodgers "hey you should use a hard count and try to get them to jump offsides"

Wilson "OMG I never heard of that. thanks Dad!"

7. GasedAndConfused

yeah i remember the one in denver. wasn't even mad at it. surtain is one of the best and made a great play on it. i'm ok with him doing that and not always winning.
    the philly one IIRC was when we were backed up and it was his deepest pass and got us away from our end zone.

those are the type of throws I want to see 3-5 times every game. if we play the averages i'm sure GW will come out on top more often then not

8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Of course, there are others, probably the majority of Jets fans, who like me haven't a clue about the future.
    We've seen the same game tape as everyone else.
    Some of us, like me, didn't want Zach picked, & after he was, part of me kinda wanted him to fail.
    I changed after I saw him, last season, get destroyed by fans & the media, all who ignored the situation he was thrown into, by an inexperienced staff that was married to scheme, & not to his development... with a weak HC who allowed his team to become divided, & turn on their teammate. All the while trying to force the young QB, to ignore his talents, which had led him to be picked #2 in the first place, to fit a system meant for a player with a different skillset... etc.
    My point, most of us, since he IS the present QB, just want to see how he does, with no preconceived judgements... & no handcuffs. Let him make mistakes, & let's see if he can integrate his new teachings of how to be a QB, mechanics, with his skills... & become a legit NFL QB.
    I'm not worried about if he passes or fails... I'm worried the CS won't give him the chance to fail or succeed.
    And yes, he's one lucky kid, for being given a 2nd chance, by a management that was honest enough to admit they f*cked up the first time.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that we're grading on a curve here...

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Source please.

11. Ralebird

How can you have a problem with a poster making a subjective observation right after posting a chart from an unknown source that is based on not one subjective opinion, but two?

12. Ralebird

Being "28th in yards per attempt" is an objective figure, not a subjective judgement that you decry in one post and support in another. Try for some consistency here please.

Jets69 likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Worried about sunday. Wilson is not good against the blitz and the Giants are going to bring it

14. GasedAndConfused

at least your consistent in not understanding context. not going to answer your "questions" I know where it leads. no point to reply to me TBH

cval likes this.
  15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

With the bye coming to an end, I was thinking about the state of the team.
    In the Saleh years, they haven't done well after byes/longer breaks.
    So, I'm hopeful that the guys who've been here, have learned that coming back strong is important.
    Saleh hasn't exactly gotten that message thru yet.

I've been trying to clarify what exactly is different about Zach, since the Pats game.
    Stats don't tell the story.
    What keeps coming back to me, is the whole QB thing.
    A click happened in Zach's head.
    It's like he's learning what a QB's role is in an offense, & what his role is... as QB.
    He seems to finally understand that his big play to make, is to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers.
    In the past, he was more about himself being the playmaker... ye olde hero ball thing.
    He gets he's one of 11.
    We all hope he can keep raising his ceiling, but, I just can't ignore how his thinking has matured.
    He'll being speaking tomorrow. I expect he'll be in a relaxed, upbeat mood, after the Eagles win.
    As for Sunday, I'm kinda thinking Zach's legs will be a major part of a Jets win.
    If they move the pocket more, & scheme to Zach's strengths, it could be fun.
    But if they scheme to win a 13-10 game, I'll be really disappointed, & finished with Saleh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Ralebird

Of course you won't respond - you set different standards for yourself than for others. Calling someone out for their subjective opinions is fine while you post subjective ideas all the time and call them facts.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Take a listen to what Conk says about coaching.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with what you said here, but I think his improvement really stems from his increased confidence as a result of them changing the offense and their expectations of him. Before, I think he was really struggling trying to learn and execute a whole new way of playing QB, and LaFleur didn't give him much help. That's not to say that MLF didn't try to do things to help him, but I think he really didn't understand how difficult a challenge he had put on Zach to learn and run his offense right out of the gate. Couple all that with Zach's high expectations of himself - which he had always been able to meet or exceed - when he experienced continued failure, magnified by all the media and fan reaction to those failures, he began doubting and second guessing himself. You can see the results of that in how he played: short armed throws, balls in the dirt, bailing from the pocket, deteriorated mechanics, and his mental processing speed bogged down by the constant second guessing of himself.

With the addition of Hackett, and especially Rodgers, his confidence has been restored. He's not worrying about "Am I going to make a mistake?", and things like that, he's just playing football. There's still some after effects of what he went through, but hopefully they eventually fade away. If he can build upon this confidence, he can become a good QB, maybe not "Mahomes II" as they might've expected him to be, but a Top 15 QB or better, and that would be the best QB we've had since IDK when.

NCJetsfan and burf like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, IDK why people don't recognize the huge impact that coaches - and in Zach's case LaFleur - have on a player. Everyone loves to toss out QB comparisons to "prove" how lousy Zach is, but no one ever looks at the coaches behind the successful QBs they mention. I can't think of a case where a good QB had a bad coach, except in the case of a highly experienced, successful QB, for example like Manning with Gase. But Expecting a young QB to overcome bad coaching is ridiculous. Look at Trevor Lawrence - he first plays under Urban Meyer and looks like a failure, then plays under Pederson who is a great offensive coach and he looks like a whole new player. Yet somehow, Zach's struggles under MLF are discounted. SMH.

Borat, NCJetsfan, burf and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.