Deadline Options?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 16, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Adams and Jakobi Meyers on top of McDaniels being a really bad coach.

themorey likes this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So you actually watch the raiders or are you supposing--or do you have another source? I agree his lack of productivity corresponds in time with the acquisitions of Adams and Meyers.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Chrebet should be the one offended. Renfrow isn’t half as good

Jets69 likes this.
  4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Renfrow for Lawson? They could use another edge.

blackssmagic, REVISion and NOVAJET like this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Geez that would be a steal lol--we'd have to at least pick up most if not all of Lawson's salary

6. BroadwayAaron

It's literally from Josh McDaniels, he blames "personnel packages and game plan" for Renfrow's lack of involvement. That confirms that Adams/Meyers are a big reason and also that McDaniels sucks.

Plenty of articles also bring up the fact that McDaniels offense is heavily structured while Gruden's encourage route improvisation which is what Renfrow is good at. He had a Pro Bowl season with 100+ catches and 1000+ yards because he's so good at finding the soft spot and capitalizing. Now I'd be lying if I said I know whether or not the current version of Hackett's offense would allow for that but for the price (Im assuming it's a good one) he'd be worth looking into.

7. BrowningNagle

Makes sense that a QB would rather throw it to two better receivers

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Good info--thx!

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I haven't watched the Raiders in the last couple of years so I couldn't tell for sure but assuming Adams vacuums (demands) most of those targets. Maybe Jacobs is more involved in the pass game on underneath routes, again I'm not the Raiders authority and maybe Renfrow has fallen off but I can't see it. He was amazing at Clemson finding holes in the coverage and had great hands, reliable. He looked the same his first couple of years in the league and I remember watching him like damn, he's the same guy in the pros. Not a burner, not a speed guy but a reliable, get open, chain mover that could be a security blanket. Seems like our receivers don't get a lot of separation except Wilson, that's what Renfrow has built a career on.

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree with you--he would be a good pick up right now.

They took him with a 5th rounder--They'd probably be happy to get that back

Problem is he has a 13mm cap hit in 2024--thats way to high.

NOVAJET likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

All of the accurate reasons you're listing for why Renfrow is a good receiver is not part of the Raiders' current offense. This is far more a Raiders problem than it is a Renfrow problem even if Renfrow has fallen off a little.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes he’s that kind of Welker/Edelman/Berrios type…not a guy you send on a fly route, but against a soft zone, he’ll find the open spot and catch the ball…excellent type of keep the chains moving guy. He would actually fit in well with our room because we already have the deep threat in GW, Lazard can go those medium routes as well as GW, we have a Gipson type if we want to stretch the field, so in our scheme, it feels like Renfrow could be what we sort of want out of Cobb…solid hands, good third down type guy you can count on to find a soft opening in the zone catch the ball and get the first down.

Sutton is a better overall receiver and is probably better than Lazard but he may be expensive in terms of trade comp…

All that being said, though, I still think OL help is a more pressing need than WR help

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i would much rather play gipson in the slot than renfow. younger, cheaper, way more upside.

between lazard and gipson, we have the slot covered. we need another boundary receiver

cval likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not like there aren’t plays that call for it, but Lazard is not who you want to play in the slot consistently. He’s a big brute who should be on the outside pushing corners down and catching 50/50 balls near the sideline or down the field.

I also don’t think Lazard is very good at all. There’s a reason he had 788 receiving yards as the top target in Green Bay.

cval likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

Josh McDaniels, the guy is gonna put Wes Welker in the Hall of Fame he uses slot receivers so much, but he is the problem with Hunter Renfrow's lack of production.

16. BroadwayAaron

Yes please ignore literally everything else about McDaniels career

KingRoach and themorey like this.
  17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think Renfrow would be a good fit and not cost much. Would like Hollywood Brown too just question how he would fit with how Zach plays. Jeudy I think would be the best fit of all (except Davante of course). If we got Jeudy I'd imagine he lines up in the slot some, and also think it would allow us to get GW into the slot if he wanted where I think he would absolutely destroy DBs.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I saw that, what a crazy display, of childish behavior

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lazard doesnt have the speed to threaten on the outside and GW is too good to send on clear out routes all day. we need a guy outside who keeps safeties honest. that should be hardman but the staff hates him for some reason.

ideally lazard runs like half of his routes outside half as a big slot that can easily win by eclipsing defenders on in-breaking routes.

the rest of the slot routes go to gipson who is quick af and electric in the open field.

20. BrowningNagle

Bingo