And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I agree that we have not been conservative as some indicated and sure ZW missed some plays.

However considering what I saw a lot of boneheaded plays yesterday by some veteran QBs, ZW didn’t lose the game.
    - Giants Taylor boneheaded call, audible a run on 2 yard line with no TOs left, instead of 9-0 lead at half it turns out to be a huge hurt at the end to win the game with a FG instead of having to go for TD.

- Ridder, Falcons making a nice comeback moving deep into the Washington’s territory down by 8 and inside the 10 yard 3 times but then threw a force and dumb throw into the secondary’s hand in EZ. Ridder was given another chance in last series but missed a wide open receiver and then threw a pick again ending Falcons chance.

- Minshew threw two costly INTs which I believe resulted Jags 14 points.

I say ZW didn’t lose the game for us!

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just calling it how it is. He made some good throws yesterday, not taking that away from him. If he gives you 200 yards with no turnovers you will be in every game. If we can get that 200 yards to 225/250 with a TD or 2 we are absolutely cooking. Especially with the upcoming schedule.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Hopefully, We have a Rt guard by then. The Giants defense looked good last night but Zach should have an easier stretch of defenses in the next couple of weeks.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I will need to look at all 22, but watching the game live, it looked like a step back from Zach from what I saw in the last two games, where I thought he did solid to good. In general offence looked like total shit. It did not help to have Max and Wes in, but there were moments where pass pro was there and the result was suboptimal. Last 7 points was all defense. I am sorry but Offense does not get credit for INT return to 10 yard line and then Eagles being forced to let Breece in. That was effectively a pick 6. There were 3 other times where we got the ball around midfield. The best drive Zach had was negated by the penalty on Lazard and we ended with no points.

The reality is that defense not only had to stop the Eagles and hold them to well below League average (just 14 points) but they also needed to score a game winning TD for us to win. That's just not good enough from offense. We were very fortunate to win, but everyone on offense, including Zach, have to do better. JD needs to trade/bring more on OLine and also we have Cobb as 3d best WR. Would be good to get someone who can separate a little bit - and catch the ball when Zach is throwing it to him.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't think it "ragging".

I think most people, in this thread anyway, are analysizing what they see and think in a logical way.

I'm impressed that he's limited his mistakes. This is the most important thing right now. His short passing game is finally NFL competent.

My major issue is that he seems to leave a lot of points on the field. It's not from inaccuracy, but just not reading the defense fast enough.

I also think the OLine played subpar yesterday against a really good defensive front.

All that said, the past two games have been nothing but FGs from the offense - except the 70 yarder from Breece - 2 defensive TDs and safety.

REVISion, Jets81, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Zach has to get a large share of the credit for yesterday's victory. While it's true he came up empty in the RZ, many of the reasons were not on him. I think there was a crucial drop and a bad penalty in at least two of those RZ occasions. However, what he did do was lead a number of long drives. While it may not seem like much those drives had three positive effects:

1. It keeps the opposition's offense off the field, especially important against a high power offense like Phila.
    2. It gives your defense a chance to rest.
    3. With a high power offense like KC and Phila., when they are forced to sit for long periods, they can get antsy and create a sense of urgency when they get back on the field leading to mistakes and possibly turnovers, especially in a close game.

Nevertheless, I don't recommend this strategy as a formula for success going forward. Zach has to figure out a way to score more TDs.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Turnover free football and reading the field better. Let's go!

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This 100%.

We have to find a way to get into the endzone more.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Lazard and Cobb are phoning it in. Lazard has a nice catch or two but a crucial drop and crucial penalty. I gotta look at the stats for them for this game.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Hard to comment if he missed any obvious plays in the red zone without seeing the all 22. The no-call on the Uzomah PI and the ticky tack crack back potentially took two TDS off the board.

An illegal crackback block occurs when an offensive player comes from more than two yards outside the offensive tackle, or from the backfield, and makes contact below the waist, above the neck, from a blind side, or from behind.

Did Lazard break this rule?

11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

And the thing with ZW, his margin for error is really small. If he miss a wide open receiver or throws an interception, fans and media say “it s typical ZW”, “He’s not that good”
    When he throws a clean game and yet wins “ It’s his RZ was horrible, missed receivers” yada yada yada. He s gonna be scrutinized more for his mishaps because of is often mishaps.

I understand what builds confidence to many is his ability to throw or score TDs on a consistent basis. But it starts with being somewhat having a lean game and building confidence.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

He did have a costly penalty and costly drop but he s a good blocker.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except you are talking about life and death. this is at the end of the day, simply a game. a guy throwing a football poorly doesn't make him a piece of crap. on top of that, zach is all we got. it's not like there are a thousand QBs out there to come in and take his place, there is nobody. we know his baseline and expectations are low, so why can't we be happy when he plays better then expected?

Acad23, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If Zach Wilson was the QB everyone envisioned him to be by now in this third year, no one would care if he threw an interception or got sacked in the RZ. Did anyone throw their hands up and yell "you suck" when Brady or Aaron threw a pick or got sacked? No, because everyone knew they had the ability to get past that mistake in spades because of who they were as a QB. That's where Zach needs to be.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I think he did. It wasn’t as brutal as those blocks used to be, but I think they called it correctly. It was pretty irrelevant to the play which is why you like to see Lazard just put his hands up and force the defender to pick a side to run around him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You said it was the right call a couple of times but based on that definition it is not. What am I missing?

NY Jets68 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

and hurts is considered a top 5 QB and the top QB in the NFC by many, yet he threw 3 picks including the game loser with less then 2 mins left
    even the best make mistakes.

allen, mahomes, and hurts are all top 5 QBs. this is their statline against us this year combined
    64.6%, 719 yards, 3TDs, 8INTs
    zach in those 3 games 65.5%, 571 yards, 3TDs, 0INTs

18. GasedAndConfused

it was the right call. if lazard would have stuck out his hands to block instead of lowering the shoulder, then it's not a penalty. they wrong definition was posted. it was a blinside block, not a crackback. this is the correct one

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no he didn't. The call was unnecessary roughness anyway

it was a bullshit call

NY Jets68 likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's because our defense is exceptional. Nothing to do with Zach.

SackRecord99 and stinkyB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.