And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The kid has two good games shows tremendous growth and still the non stop hate.

The last two games Zach has played like a starting NFL qb and has made some great throws.

Break down any QBs tape and you will see missed throws and and missed open receivers.

Zach has actually looked above average in the 2 min drill besides the brain fart.

The encouraging thing for Jets fans is he is improving and we hope he continues to.

The negative is this is his ceiling and we will have to try to win by protecting the QB like we did last season.

Either way Zach will prove or not this season if he will NYJ in the future

#601 cval, Oct 12, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well if we use 'Today' as the qualifier and project the rest of the season based on his last 2 games then Zach's season will end up

373/539 | 3575 yards | 16 TD | 11 INT | 50 sacks for 357 yards | 45 rushes for 323 yards

For Comparison;

2022 Russel Wilson (15 games) 292/483 3,524yds 16-11
    2022 Mac Jones (14 Games) 288/442 2,997yds 14-11
    2022 Danny Dimes (16 Games) 317/472 3,205yds 15-5

2022 Rodgers (17 Games) 350/542 3,695yds 26-12
    2022 Cousins (17 Games) 424/643 4,547yds 29-14

So moving from bottom of the league to somewhere around the low 20's is where Zach is at right now

GasedAndConfused and barfolomew like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Hopefully progressing, but I agree that is where he is at.

The other question is what would our record be with AR? Buffalo-I am not sure we win that game (I think Allen would be less reckless), Cowboys (it would not have been a blowout), Pats- 100% win with Rodgers KC- Still a loss Den-100% win

IMHO we would be 3-2. ( I think we would have won at least one Buff, KC, Dallas).

Zach needs a makeup game for the Pats. We need to find a way to win against the Eagles.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except the "ceiling" bit. We can't know that yet, despite all the "experts" here who do. Almost no one predicted that he was capable of making the progress he's shown so far this season. He was branded a bust and a total failure - shouldn't even be in the league, let alone being the #2 backup. But then look what happened.

So maybe his ceiling is higher than you think. If not, if he's only a middle of the pack QB which he projects to be at this point, that's still better than most QBs the Jets have had. And if Rodgers comes back and Zach continues to learn from him, he likely gets even better.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and cval like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No one WANTS Zach to fail. He was the 2nd overall pick and it's obviously in the JETS best interests for him to be successful.

Most of us are just accepting what we've seen, and it's NOT good....

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

It's getting a bit better though.

7. stinkyB

Yes, there's nowhere to go but up...

barfolomew likes this.
  8. barfolomew

Whether the glass is half full or half empty, I am simply happy to have a glass.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  9. Gremlin

It's hard to think of any examples recently where a QB who was ranking in the bottom of the league was given 2+ complete seasons to fail so badly.

Haskins, Rosen, Hundley, Kizer & Mallet were pretty much one and done. You'd probably have to go all the way back to the final 3 seasons that Marc Bulger spent in St.Louis to come up with an example of a team that stuck with a guy who was stinking up the place.

10. Gremlin

Us 'experts' never claimed a low bar on his ceiling due to his play over the last 2 years.

We were just very shocked that he was throwing dirtballs, running backwards and missing so many easy lay-ups that our concern was just how absolutely bad his basement was and that he hadn't (and still hasn't) had that one complete game that made us go "Wow!"

11. stinkyB

His "ceiling" isn't the problem...... it's his floor is the bottom of the Grand Canyon

Jets OG fan, Pepsiguy5, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  12. barfolomew

This is the first era of football where qb draft picks are thrown into the fire before they're ready. As soon as they are in the league they are playing. I have a low opinion of college ball so I don't think overall any of them are ready. Especially not him, coming from such a weak team.

But now he is improving. Let's hope he keeps doing so.

NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5 and Borat like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think we are 4-1 with Rodgers, but 3-2 is possible. I just don't see us losing to Buffalo with him at the helm. Zach did his job in that game, but it wasn't a ground breaking performance. Rodgers would have also won it. Rodgers also easily beats Denver and NE. Dallas and KC to me are the two games where I am not sure if we would have won.

Zach did his best Rodgers impersonation in KC game, and we still effectively lost by 10 (had Mahomes needed extra points he would have ran in instead of sliding on 1 yard line). So, Rodgers would need to make up 10 points from already a good game that Zach had. I think it is possible. Our pass pro was good in that game and Rodgers could have done a lot of damage there. He would also get some calls that Zach did not get. Remember that a lot of KC points/successes came at the expense of the ref. I am thinking with Rodgers there we would get more calls. So I think we get this one.

Dallas game is the one I think we could have lost. The pressure was very significant in that game. It would have neutralized a lot of things Arod could have done. The game would be closer, maybe he pulls it off, maybe not. So I think 4-1 is probably where we are right now with Rodgers, still losing to Dallas but beating NE and KC.

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

An avg to good QB would have known to watch the high safety at the snap knowing if he vacated the way he did the middle of the field is open and Conklin is the receiver exploiting the middle. That’s the diffence between Zach and and avg to good QB. Zach walks up to the line with instructions that this is read 1, this is 2, this is 3, etc…. An avg to good QB walks up to the line seeing the defense and decides what is read 1/2/3 based on the defensive formation and the first actions of key defenders at the snap. So while I agree we can absolve Zach for not making it to a 3rd read when he’s sees read 2 looking open, a good QB knows that regardless of play design the read order can be changed based on defensive alignment and defensive reaction at the snap. Zach is not there yet.

15. Gremlin

Bottom of rankings = Cooked, also applies to Wentz's last year in Philly, Cams last run in NE, Daltons last year with the Bengals as well as Bortles and Mariota running out of time with their drafting team.

When you hit bottom then a lot of teams (outside the Jets) take that as a sign of decline or unsuitability and move on. That's what's made Geno's last year so impressive as he's the only guy in the last decade or so to go from worst to pro-bowl.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What happens is a new coaching staff and GM come in,

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

still looks better then daniel jones who is making 40 mil. must be sad that your team is so bad you have to troll the cross town rivals. how's evan neal working out? lol

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Honestly I’m not sure what the Daniel Jones comparisons have to do with our discussion of Zach.

This season, Daniel Jones is ranking right below Zach at the bottom of the league if we’re looking at season to date stats.

Career-wise, Jones’ is a much better rated QB…I went and looked it up…so here it is:

QB Rating - 85.3 (better than Zach in any year including this year)
    Completion Rate - 64.4% (again, better than Zach career and this year)
    TD - Int - 62 TD to 40 Int (again, WAY better than Zach who has more picks than TDs career wise as well as this year)
    Yards are way higher
    And running yards are better as well

So if we want to have an honest conversation by bringing up another QB who’s really not very good, he’s STILL better than Zach has been

And if the question is put a bit differently, like for example if we could swap QBs today, would we want to?

I think Jones has missed games due to injury as he has an even worse OL than we do, but Zach has also missed games.

Given a healthy Jones vs. a healthy Zach, I’m not so sure I wouldn’t make that swap today…

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones is not very good. He’s better than Zach though up to this point, I agree, but not 40m a season better. Daniel Jones is the worst thing that can happen to franchises. They’re just mediocre enough to make a fanbase suddenly fearful that they’ll be successful elsewhere and suddenly overvalue the guy and franchises get pressured into signing them. Then you’re stuck with them while they eat a large part of your cap, preventing you from building much around them.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because that guy is a giants fan posing as a jets fan and trolling the boards
    jones also fumbles alot. way more then any QB in the NFL. you have to add those in, and it's more then just stats. he looks awful and has been openly calling wrong plays and defying his coach while zach is at least trying to learn and the team is rallying behind him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.