And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Watch his feet, he hung on to a poorly run out-route too long did a little shuffle with his feet then threw a rocketball to GW late with a safety baring down. He should have seen Conklin coming open in his peripheral but panicked with the inside pressure.

Edit: Watching this again the safety was reading ZW eyes which is why it appeared Conklin was so open. The safety started to jump that route at the :41 mark before Conklin made his break.

#581 cval, Oct 11, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed. But again, I attribute this to him being drilled to get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less no matter what. A better, more experienced, more confident QB would've made the correct read as @dawinner pointed out and then waited a split second or so for Conklin to get open. But he didn't make the right read, and didn't feel he could wait longer to look for other options besides GW.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He had the safety beat with his eyes (or not) as the safety was right. It was not from being drilled for the 2.5 seconds it was the pressure that sped up his process.

Edit: this is simple when we slow it down. Full speed not so much.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Well I guess that's what I was saying. He's cemented the 2.5 second time limit into his thinking, and the pressure was making that feel compressed.

And keep in mind it's not like he's guaranteed 2.5 seconds of time on every pass play, sometimes - often - he's not going to get that, especially with how the OL has played up until recently, so he might've felt at 1.75 seconds that his ability to make a decision and throw was upon him.

As you said, for us armchair QBs with the benefit of slow motion, All 22, and hindsight, it's easy to see what he should've done, but not so easy in real time. Still, that's what he has to be able to do. I'm hopeful with more playing time he'll get there.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

did you hear jimmy g miked up last weekend? one of his lines was "48 (I don't remember the exact number) is the mike.........maybe not"

abyzmul likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

lol He got his bases covered

KY Jets Fan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach's problem is his brain doesn't work fast enough for him to succeed in the NFL. That's the case for >99% of guys who have ever played quarterback, but if you want to succeed in the NFL, you need to be in that <1%. Look at Brock Purdy; he's less physically impressive than Zach is, but he has one of the quickest brains in the NFL, so the ball always goes where it needs to and on time. Also, Zach's completion percentage is up this year because he's zeroing in on short throws and hitting them. But his yards per attempt are down from last year.

SackRecord99 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

So, you're certain that processing speed can't be improved upon? I disagree. But I'd love to see some literature that speaks to this from scientific sources, psychology studies.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is Zach's third year in the league. With a couple very rare exceptions, nobody who's played this poorly relative to the rest of the league across 2+ years has gone on to succeed, and nobody has ever become elite. I'm not saying it's impossible that he improves his processing speed enough to succeed, but the Jets don't owe him that opportunity, and they need to do what's right for the team, not one individual player. Even if you think Zach deserves to start against the Eagles, it's insanity that the QB they brought in after Rodgers went down is Siemian who's currently being kept on the practice squad.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Or we create a safe zone where no Zach criticism or discussion that isn’t abundant praise is allowed.

11. GasedAndConfused

he's technically correct. he's either the mike or not lol

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

or a medium ground where he's neither complete trash or good which is where he is at. he hasn't been garbage the past 2 weeks, he's been a low tier starter who can win with the right people around him. it's an improvement from him being so bad he tanks the whole team like his 1st 2 seasons. thats all the reasonable people are saying. zach hasn't been good as in above average, but he hasn't been a dumpster fire either.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Or Bernie Kosar back in the 80's who was one of my favorite players at the time. He could barely run and threw with a funny motion that looked like his arm was broken but he was so damn football smart he just diagnosed every defense anyone ever tried to field against him before they even got into position and won all kinds of games with probably one of the worst athletic portfolios ever for a NFL player.

Jets69, stinkyB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

UNTIL 1986 :mad::mad::mad:

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

C'mon. "This is his third year in the league" implies that he's been a 3 year starter. In fact, he hasn't even played two full years. Maybe he won't become elite. That's looks like the probable outcome. But even there, we still don't know because of all the other issues that interfered with his development (which you refuse to acknowledge, but which are true nonetheless). But if he becomes average, that would be a big upgrade over what we've had for a long time.

As to "...the Jets don't owe him", it's not about the Jets owing him it's about the Jets owing it to themselves to try and salvage him given their big investment. And you may not think he's worth it, but unless you have a say in their personnel decisions, it's simply your opinion.

But why is SO important for you and the rest of the Zach Haters to trash him at this point? It's not like there's really much the Jets can do. Oh, yeah, they can give up some premium assets and cap space to get Cousins, "Mr. Mediocre", who almost certainly won't win a SB, but will be just good enough to help them win enough games so they have a low first round pick. And then of course there will be the inevitable QB Controversy when Rodgers says he's ready to play. If Zach goes back into trash level he was at up until this year, then getting Cousins or someone else might make sense, but again, by the time the Jets decide to pull the plug on Zach it will be because they're out of contention. At that point, while they may not literally "tank", they'll want to get the highest pick they can. Winning a couple more meaningless games isn't worth whatever Cousins will cost. Moreover, do you think Douglas and Woody read this forum and make decisions based on what we post here? LOL!

You can post whatever you want, but it just seems like you and others are actively rooting for Zach to fail. Why?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're actually asking me more questions when you refuse to answer mine? Good luck with that.

17. Ralebird

In the NFL the only metric is what any player did today. This is real life in professional sports, it's not a progress report, it's results.

Threads are here for discussion, not heaping praise. Don't tell us how great something is and not expect replies that expose outrageous claims.

18. Ralebird

Except that at 1.75 seconds he was still fixed on Lazard being tied up along the goal line and didn't shift his focus to the center of the field until after 2 seconds; he never got to the right hash at all where the money shot was. Can't expect accomplishment if he uses all his time up locked on a no chance target.

19. Ralebird

We're Jets fans - we're here to see the Jets do whatever it takes to win football games; we're not here to justify the presence of any particular player. From watching his performance since he was drafted we do not believe Wilson has demonstrated the competency or consistency to win enough games for the Jets to be successful.

Speaking for myself, it would be outrageously dumb to "hate" a football player I don't know and have never even met, there's nothing personal about it. Rooting for a current player to fail is a totally ridiculous concept because it flies in the face of rooting for the team to win. There are a handful of quarterbacks who are, or were, available to the Jets who I have much more confidence in their ability to produce wins while most of the rest of the team is gelling into a force to be respected.

For the Zach-at-all-costs guys I'd ask why you feel the need to constantly fall back on the lame "hate" and "root against" claims and why you appear to put the progress of the team secondary to the progress of a single guy?

stinkyB likes this.
  20. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

The only real improvements I see from Zach this year are two aspects

1) He’s stepping up in the pocket a bit more and even using his legs at times

2) He appears to be able to throw an accurate check down

His biggest problems are still the same

1) He misses way too many open receivers. Check the All 22 on that first drive in the RZ where he missed a wide open Conklin.

2) He has zero touch on his passes. How many times do you see him rifle a 5 yard pass to a back on a screen?

3) His accuracy and ball placement still stink. He misses throws badly still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.