And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Conklin was the 3rd read on the play. Wilson looked left first; looked over the middle and saw GW streaking uncovered. You can see when Zach spotted GW there wasn’t a defender in the screen (yes the safety waiting to likely make the stop, I agree). In the split second Zach saw GW open he made the decision to throw. It’s not that he missed Conklin, it’s that he never made it that far into his read. He threw to option 2 before having an opportunity to look at option 3. So in ZW’s mind it’s either get the ball to GW right now or possibly risk running around into disaster holding the ball too long, which he’s been beaten over the head for good reason to get the ball out quickly. A missed read would be the opposite, staring at a wide open 1st or 2nd option and passing it up to throw to the 3rd option that’s covered which has been painfully his problem up to this season.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

And this is the damn problem with him…the stats have been bottom of the league horrible so far throughout his career. This year, the one improvement we are seeing is in his completion rate, which is GREAT. However, despite this improvement from a career rate of about 53% to his current season rate of about 61% (again, HUGE improvement and very happy to see it), his rating is still bottom of the league status…literally I think he’s like has the 31st QB rating out of QBs who’ve played more than a handful of plays.

But to me, the thing that even these poor stats DON’T show, is all of the stuff that he leaves on the table because he doesn’t see the dam field. He can’t sustain drives consistently, he definitely can’t put the ball in the end zone as he has a whopping 4 TDs in 5 games played, and he just leaves so many offensive opportunities on the table … none of that is reflected in his stats, which are still piss poor anyway.

And yet we continue to get excuse after excuse after excuse about why it’s not his fault.

It’s just mind-numbing to me.

We ALL WANT and HOPE he can develop. But he’s shown so very little development to date that it’s hard to believe he ever will.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i do engage, you just can't comprehend it so you keep moving the goalposts or arguing something different. it's like someone speaking English trying to have a conversation with someone speaking chinese. t doesn't work.
    nobody else has an issue having a conversation with me. they may not agree with me, they may not like me, but we converse just fine and understand each other. nobody here is able to have a conversation with you, everyone tells you the same thing. so maybe its you? do you not remember the sea lion comic that everyone said on the board was you?

Acad23 likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What he did was wrong is everyones point. I think it's clearly obvious he looked left 1st, to GW 2nd, and never got to Conklin who would in theory be his 3rd read. He read the entire coverage and play wrong is what the problem is. Conklin should have never been his 3rd read when faced with that coverage when the middle of the field is wide open. It just points back to zach doesn't know what he is looking at. If you look at the coverage before the snap, Conklin should automatically be number one by the safety alignment. There is no safety in the middle and it's same coverage he missed Ruckert on vs KC.

This isn't difficult.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

lol--here comes the i dont know football argument--jc dude--i watch too much football lol. Give it a rest.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

No….and it’s the difference with us. I watch a lot of games…not just the Jets…and it always irks me how when I watch other teams, especially ones with good QBs, it just seems like there’s someone open on every damn play. Wide open. You watch and it’s like…jeez…how is anyone NOT covering THAT guy??

And with us, that’s hardly ever the case.

Why is Brady so good? Because he can throw better or faster or harder than Zach? Not even close, certainly not in the last years of his career. But the dude knows football, he knows where the rush is coming from most of the time, he knows who will be open and where and when. And he gets the ball there on time and almost always in the right position for the receiver to make a catch. Shit…I remember Peyton’s last couple of years…dude couldn’t throw a ball and had to pretty much loft every freaking throw and you’d watch and say man that’s a pick, but nope…it always seemed to fall into a receiver’s hands.

THAT’s what Zach doesn’t have. He doesn’t see the field…and it shows up in a lot of ways…many times he doesn’t know how to avoid a rush or doesn’t see it coming…he misses WAY too many open receivers (so it’s not MLF or Hacket’s fault right?) and he gets very few easy throws to open guys.

until he gets that part of it, he will continue to be a bottom of the league QB. My concern is that this shouldn’t be such an issue in year 3. It just shouldn’t. By now, he should be acclimated to the speed of the game. By all accounts he’s been a hard worker in practice…so why has that not translated to the field? Why does he continue to miss the right throw so often?

It’s a problem and it shouldn’t be as bad as it still is in year 3.

HomeoftheJets and SackRecord99 like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think if the Jets would just pony up the cash for a Frankenstein lab and you could saw off Aaron Rodgers from the shoulders up and weld his head onto Zach's body you'd not only have somebody that looked better in a white headband, you'd immediately have a top 3ish QB and maybe even an all time great.

UK_Chilts and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

When I started this thread, it was about the positives... Zach's progress.
    There are zillions of threads 'debating' Zach, but if you read the Subject, it was about something different, not the SOJfan BS.
    It's always amazing to me the 'metric' people use to judge Zach.
    At this point, there is only one 'metric' to use, Zach past vs Zach present... for people with open minds, & that live in the present.
    Why?
    He's obviously not a very good QB (yet?).
    It's expected he'll be missing reads, & making mistakes, at this point in his 'development.'
    But most importantly, there was so much wrong with his play, whether because of coaching, his own weaknesses, or both.
    Lots to fix... takes time. That's reality.
    And we don't know what the CS have been focusing on, as they've worked to fix him.

What we do know is that his mechanics have improved.
    He's matured as a man.
    He's completing a higher %age of passes.
    He seems to have gotten passed the "yips."
    He's seeing the field, making adjustments & making some reads he's missed in the past.
    He's not vaporizing after making mistakes, like he has.
    He actually looks like a QB, for larger parts of games, & seems to be learning what his job entails.

I'll leave it at that, but the bottom line... he's playing better than most us of could've expected, & we're only 5 games into a season he wasn't expected to be starting.
    That's reality... now please continue the nitpicking, & unrealistic 'expectations' (after all, it's year 3, & everyone knows if a QB isn't what they expect in year 3, he's a bust)... also I'd be interested in hearing where he's regressed?

#568 burf, Oct 11, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Maybe we should start a thread called:

"You'll support your crummy QB and like it!"

Ralebird and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. I think he erred on the side of getting the ball out to an open receiver, especially since it was GW. I honestly don't know, but would an average to good QB be expected to get through to the 3rd read in this situation? Perhaps he could've left the pocket and scrambled to buy time and/or look for a lane to run it in, but those decisions carried risks, and he's been hammered for doing too much of that.

11. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for clearing that up. Now, another dumb question: who decides what the 1sr, 2nd, 3rd reads are? Is it like you said, if you read the coverage you should base the order of reads off that? Serious question.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That should be JD's motto.

ouchy and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I assumed you did, but assuming you do, are you really claiming that every QB who throws his receivers into big hits lacks empathy? Or is it just Zach? And how often does he do that relative to league averages?

If you want to criticize him there's lots of things you ding him for, but lacking empathy is silly.

#573 ColoradoContrails, Oct 11, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I agree with you on this, except for the assertion that by year 3 he should have this down. Sorry, but his struggles with trying to learn and execute MLF's offense interrupted this aspect of his growth. It's just going to take some more time and reps in live action for him to develop this. Before you despair, last year he had trouble getting past his first read, but he's improved a lot on this aspect in these first 5 games. But it's going to take longer. And also, this is a learnable skill. Unlike arm strength or speed which can't be taught.

But yes, he needs to get to the point where does see the whole field - quickly - and can consistently find the best open receiver, especially if they're in the EZ.

I could be wrong, but I think Hackett's insistence that Zach get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, regardless if he's been able to read the whole field is the right approach. It reinforces his internal clock. Before, Zach would try to buy time to read the whole field and find an open receiver by leaving the pocket and scrambling - often backwards - and it was counterproductive because by the time he made that decision receivers were already out of their planned routes, and it didn't help Zach internalize the faster clock he needs. In the short term this approach will result in open receivers he doesn't get to in his 2.5 seconds of reading the field, but that will improve the more he plays.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and cval like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for again resetting expectations.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question. Just have to know what the defense is in. Plays are going to be designed based on certain coverages. Not every play is going to say, "Hey! Always look over here first and throw it this way". If the defense is giving you a look that is showing that the middle of the field is going to be open then the middle of the field is going to be open. You shouldn't have to look left, right, or check down. The defense is giving you the middle of the field. He failed at this presnap, but also postsnap. Conklin is open for multiple seconds before the pressure even gets to him so that really isn't an excuse. The ball is snapped at about 9.5 seconds and by 10.5/11 seconds you could drive an 18 wheeler through it that's how open Conklin was.

Good break down from Enunwa here -> https://x.com/QuincyEnunwa/status/1712124054050570493?s=20

Like yeah, he absolutely didn't read it presnap or postsnap properly and we all know he isn't good at that so whatever, he missed Conklin. But he was still stupidly late on the GW throw. If he throws it when Q says in the break down above, I'll take my chances with GW 1 on 1 to break a tackle with the safety.

I just don't know how anyone can even say he wasn't late with the throw. Yesterday you had people here saying GW was early or late, or that zach made a great throw and hit him in the hands. Those takes are just insane. The out had no chance, move off of it.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Most of your successful young QBs run or ran simplified one/two-read offenses. From Burrows to Herbert to Purdy etc. It takes time to become Brady, Manning Rogers and most never get there.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yup and when the QB guesses the wrong Mike, they are usually starting their progressions in the strength of the defense and not the thin areas.

19. ColoradoContrails

So according to Enunwa the decision to go to GW wasn't necessarily wrong - he said he would probably do the same actually - the question becomes then was it a bad throw? IDK, from what I can see it looks a little high and hot, but Garrett does get two hands on it. My take is that while it wasn't a "bad" pass, it could've been better.

As for finding Conklin, as you pointed out, Zach needed to not have locked onto GW so quickly and finished reading the field.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What an awful route by Lazard. What the hell was that? Put GW wide and throw the fade

barfolomew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.