And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What does it matter if we never score when we get there anyway?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Jets81 likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Apologies. My brain swapped end zone for red zone in your post.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You admit when you're wrong. That's one of the reasons that makes you a great friend!

Jets81 likes this.
  6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Jets suck at red zone offense, thank God they are the best at red zone defense!

barfolomew likes this.
  7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

If Hackett and Zack keep working together and improving each game plan bit by bit, I think some of those field goals yesterday turn into touchdowns.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oof no way.

we saw what first down drop-backs brought us in the Dallas & NE games. lots of 3rd and longs.

yesterday was the right game plan by Hackett. Run the ball so the ball is in Breece Hall's hands more and Zach Wilson's less. A lot less.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with the play-action aspect as well. I had that wrote down In my notes (nerd notes), I just forgot to list It here. Play-action has been money for this offense when applied properly, It needs to be implemented much more than It has been. Especially In the RDZ. Definitely. Good call.

As for the mental mistakes. I truly hope you are right. This Sunday Is huge, hopefully he plays at a high level for that game especially. Consistently.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, you're a great poster and I respect your opinions even when I disagree. Here again we disagree.

Where did I say Zach should run outside the pocket on every play? I just said they needed to do it more. He does have to eventually transition to be more of a pocket passer, but it took Rodgers a few years to do that too (not necessarily because he couldn't but getting out of the pocket worked much better). And some QBs are simply better on the move, despite the "accepted wisdom" that playing from the pocket is a "one size fits all" approach to the position.

And while Hackett was less predictable this game, he was still predictable. Why open the game with a first down running play when the last game they had such success throwing on first down? Predictably that run got stuffed like a Chipotle burrito. And where were the roll outs in the RZ where Zach's running ability would've given the Denver defense something to account for and quite possibly opened things up more?

I'm not making excuses for Zach. Did you read my other posts about this game yet? If not, please do. But Hackett isn't helping by his play calling. Or Saleh with his apparent dictate to remain conservative at all costs and just let his "impregnable defense" win games (not to mention his questionable clock management that contributed to that last play before the half being a clusterfuck). Zach opened the game with a bad decision in not simply throwing the ball away and taking a sack - again. He failed to protect the football which led to two fumbles, one of them lost. And of course there was the dumb decision to throw a completion at the end of the half instead of throwing it OOB - to me this is one of the things that Zach simply should not be doing at this point, no matter what. And the INT should've either been caught by GW and/or been PI, it wasn't a bad decision or terrible throw,

It's not me wanting them to keep the training wheels on. I've been shouting for them to take them off since Game 1. It's Hackett who has them firmly attached. That said, I understand his hesitation at simply letting Zach go "freestyle", which is NOT what I'm advocating. But there is a happy medium, right?

Finally, when explanations are offered as to why Zach has done this or that, and these explanations are supported with facts, why is it always dismissed as "excuse making"? The things that happened that screwed up Zach's first two years - as they did with Darnold and every other young QB the Jets got their hands on - are well documented and discussed in detail. And there is certainly credence to them since the Jets FINALLY woke up and realized what they had done, hence letting LaFleur go, signing Hackett, and trading for Rodgers, as well as adding experienced, proven vets as weapons. If that isn't proof that Zach was completely mishandled, IDK what else to tell you. Or by failing to adequately address the OL until just last game - and when I say "adequately" I use that term loosely since the OL is still shaky and now will get even more so with AVT out again for the season. Is that "an excuse"?

I've tried to be reasonable and rational in discussing Wilson, and have acknowledged his problems. OTOH, when people counter with hyperbole and exaggeration to support their belief that Zach sucks and shouldn't even be on the roster, what do you call that?

Hackett did better yesterday than he has in the past, but he's still predictable and not using Zach to his best ability. He has to improve. Just like Zach has to improve. That's not "throwing him under the bus", that's just acknowledging the reality.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

what are you talking about vs new england? it was consistently 2nd and 3rd and long b/c they went run run pass vs 9 guys in the box. romo was screaming the entire game that they needed to throw the ball early and often. he was getting pissed that we didn't do that. when he threw the ball early vs the pats it led to our only touchdown drive.

he threw the ball early and often vs the chiefs and they moved the ball well and he probably had his best game of his career.

he was 8/10 with nearly 8 YPA throwing on first down. they need to do more of it.

Acad23, burf, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

"Why open the game with a running play"?? because their running back is awesome and their QB sucks. duh

Their first play call of the 2nd half was a running play too. That seemed to be a good decision. 72 yard easy touchdown.

some of the stuff on this board SMH...

13. IIMeanDeanII

What? I think you have It backwards.

I just looked up the play by play of that Dallas game and I remember Tony Romo constantly bitching the entire game about how predictive Hackett was being on 1st down because he was literally running It every time. They expected It, they shit on us because of It.

Zach has been fairly consistent and productive on first down throws. Not sure what you are going on about with this one?

..but you are simply wrong here.

REVISion likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Spot on!

Just because the plan was to run more on Denver does NOT mean you just go all run heavy and forget about what worked against KC - passing on 1st down, PA, etc.. Hackett's plan was better than against the Pats, but that sure isn't saying much. If Zach has shown anything this season so far it's that he's pretty damn good when he's on the move. In fact, the general rule for drop backs for him ought to be: if you haven't thrown it by "One thousand two", get out of there and look to make a play on the move or with your legs (with the corollary of Do NOT run backwards, ever, just throw it away before you do that). If Hackett employed that approach things would work much better.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

backwards is where Wilson would take us if they opened it up more

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I hope I am right as well. :) I remember Zach's rookie year he was horrible at play-action now that is what he is best at.

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

What? You just proved my point. Hackett WAS predictable against Dallas and NE and they lost. Against KC he FINALLY began calling for passing plays on 1st down and the offense - including Zach - did well. And yesterday when he dialed up passes on first down Zach again did well. That's why I said he's been fairly consistent and productive on first downs when they're passing plays.

18. IIMeanDeanII

I feel that they have schemed better plays that cater to his strengths In those ways though the last couple games. I don't think they did a lot of outside bootleg type plays yesterday, which they probably could've done more of. So I agree, It never hurts to implement plays that cater to Zach's strengths. I took It to a literal level with your post (every play type of thing), after rereading I understand what you are saying. I don't hate that assessment. I still hope that his strengths can align better with pocket aspects of playing the position though. Which, to his credit, he's done a better job overall the last couple weeks.

I thought Hackett called a good game. Again, looking at the stats and the play by play. It was a good mix, I just don't see how you or anyone else can argue that point. The first play of the game can go either way, every time. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me Is the very predictable shit like we seen against Dallas where he was literally running the ball almost every single 1st down. To the point where Tony Romo was getting frustrated while calling the game. He was right.

That wasn't the case yesterday.

I think they are getting a better feel for things overall. I was encouraged by Hackett's game plan yesterday. Zach did his job overall, and I appreciate that aspect as well. I think It can be both things.

I just don't think Zach Wilson's mental lapses yesterday were because of the coaching staff. That's my only point because I'm seeing way too much of that In this thread.

Again. Credit should be given, where It Is due.

I think credit should be given to Hackett. The game plan was solid, productive, and It resulted In a win. IMO

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

That's what I said, no?

Huh? ha

I'm only advocating for Hackett for the last couple weeks here. Hackett has had some really shitty play calling games. Dallas and NE are the primary games that were WTF games called by, Hack. I think you may have misread between these posts.

They should throw more on 1st downs. Which they did yesterday, and It was productive. It was as well In the KC game. Agreed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How about the occasional pass into the End Zone instead of settling for FG's? asking for a friend..

burf, NCJetsfan, Jets81 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.