And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Well said…jus look at Evan Neal after some booing…not even close to the shit zw has taken.

zw, I hope, becomes the fqb we’ve been hoping for!

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If he did this against the Cowboys, he would’ve gotten the gold star of the week. But the reality is that he Cooper Rush’d this one. And that’s cool but any sort of gushing praise for him is nuts and has very little league wide perspective.

stinkyB, IIMeanDeanII, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Watch what Howell and Fields, two guys who themselves won't be starters much longer, did against the Broncos, and you'll see what I mean.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If you think Sauce isn't a Pro-Bowl/All-Pro CB this year, I'm not sure what to tell you. Just because he doesn't travel doesn't mean he isn't an elite CB in this league. That's like saying Richard Sherman wasn't an elite CB just because he didn't travel with the opposing team's #1 WR.

I also think it's hilarious you used PK, K (different positions?), LS, and PR to try and make your point. While totally neglecting Gipson & Tony Adams, both UDFA starters, and even Huff, he's not a starter but he's arguably our best pass rusher on the team right now. Could even throw Sherwood in there but it's either Sherwood or MC2 as the "starter" so that doesn't matter too much I suppose.

So yeah, 3 starter-level players over 4 years isn't that bad from the 3rd round on. The only teams to do better are perennial SB contenders so if that's your measuring stick, yeah, you're gonna be disappointed.
    The vast majority of NFL teams don't get a ton of starters from the 3rd round on and those that do either nail those picks or have 20% of their cap space tied up in a QB contract making those guys starters by necessity, not merit.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They won the game, and had they failed on one of those 4th and ones, it would have gone into overtime. And given how bad the offense has been at various points this season, it was pretty likely that they would have blown it. Let your really good kicker do his job (which he probably would have had to do anyway a few plays later even if Breece had run through the 10 man box and picked up the first), and move on to next week where you will have to go for it on 4th and one.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

But I mean, that's what you typically get from the 3rd round on, depth guys. Unless a huge chunk of your cap space is tied up in a QB and then you have to draft for need.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Not gonna say you were totally wrong here but this post did not age well lol

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I disagree. Lots of teams have drafted starters in the 3rd-5th. The 49ers are starting 8/22 starters from the 3rd-5th tonight by quick glance at their depth chart. The Cowboys are 9/22 from those rounds.

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Oh no you don’t. You need to be consistent. If you are going to say that you expected more out of Zach Wilson against a crappy defense, I am perfectly justified in criticizing the coaching staff for an overly conservative gameplan against the same crappy defense.

If you want to invalidate your own argument, be my guest.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Come on - I might give a QB a pass for not understanding the clock at the end of the half if it was his third game ever, not his third season in the NFL. The QB is the only one with a speaker in his helmet, it's his job to get the players hurried up to the line. He didn't get much help from Hackett today who was not quite as bad as Payton who had a need to yell at his own QB after the fumble at the end of the game when he thought passes in the middle of the field were appropriate. Looks like Hackett and Payton are actually birds of a feather. One of the worst offensive performances by both teams in decades of watching the NFL.

How can you say Wilson has turned a corner while he has been comatose in the red zone?

#310 Ralebird, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    Trainer, tomdeb and SackRecord99 like this.
  11. Ralebird

The bigboy throw of the day was the end zone pass to Wilson - high and outside.

12. HackettSuxTNG

Why was only one “bigboy” played called against one of the worst defenses on the NFL?

13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

So in all seriousness, what are your standards for a "really" good game?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

14. The_Darksider

Don't inundate this with facts, please.

Jets81 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He nearly cost the game with that bullshit before half time

tomdeb and Ralebird like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cowboys are a bit of an outlier though, no? It's not like Jerry Jones is going to fire himself.

If we're just keeping it to JD's tenure, the Cowboys have 6 (really 5) starters from the 3rd round or later (Ferguson, Biadasz, Steele, Odighizuwa, Clark, & Bland (only starting because Diggs is out)).

Obviously that's still better than JD but again if we're comparing him to the best teams/GMs in the league, yeah, we're gonna be disappointed. He's been a GM for 4 years now, Jerry's been the GM since '89 and Lynch has since '17.

He's not been perfect but I think he's been a far cry from terrible.

17. HackettSuxTNG

ANOTHER field goal would have made a difference?

18. The_Darksider

Not a lot of mention of the other pass to Wilson that would almost certainly have gone for a long touchdown that Zach essentially threw out of bounds. So that makes two big boy passes, and he missed both.

19. Ralebird

Hackett sux?

20. HackettSuxTNG

Some apples don’t fall far from trees.

BacktoQueens likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.