And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"you're saying that..."

again, stop putting words into my mouth. Its shit talking like this that makes you so annoying

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Or is it you being called out for your controversial take that makes me annoying?

I'm not putting words in your mouth. Did you or did you not say that Wilson's fumble ended the game? Yes or no question.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Agreed completely. I had written him off after he lost the team last year, and while I still didn't believe in him as a quarterback this season, the change in his demeanor is noticeable. On the field, he has had periods of seeming more in command of himself and in control, more comfortable. Much more so than last year. And last night, something clicked in that 2nd quarter. The play calling was suddenly better. They had guys in motion, they were doing some cute little misdirections that don't telegraph where they're going - and the kid flourished a bit. He's NOT A POCKET PASSER!!!! Don't try to make him one. He's shown that he's much better in motion and seemingly on the fly, and last night drove that point home unequivocally.

Kudos to him for sure.

Now I just need to see the team, for the first time in the 42 years I've been getting kicked in the nuts, follow up a game like and go beat a bad team. Many many times before (much more often than not), the Jets go into a game like Denver next week and lose 20-6. Let's see if they, and by extension Zach, can channel that anger and make it into momentum.

4. The_Darksider

I disagree for the simple fact that they Jets ALWAYS have letdowns like that and lose to bad teams that they "should" beat. If they were 2-2 and could afford to lose to Denver, then I'd say ok, maybe a hiccup. After last night's game where they gained a lot of momentum, and I think even more in context, left the stadium truly angry, I don't want to see a hiccup or a letdown. I want them, for the first time in I don't even remember how long, to take that anger and that momentum and go in there and stomp the Broncos like they should. No more hiccups allowed this season - if they are going to make ANY type of run, whether it's to a wildcard or to even a 9-8 (above .500) record, they need to beat the teams that they should beat.

5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yup, I saw the same things, and mentioned them in other threads.
    I just wanted to focus on how Zach's won my respect.

6. The_Darksider

If you're being truthful and not just sarcastic, I think you'll be impressed with the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The playcalling was much better and he made some GREAT throws. Then, the playcalling went conservative again and he took a step back. But man, the promise he showed in those two quarters.....it was fun to watch.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. The_Darksider

Game-changing maybe - game-ending? Bit of an exaggeration. There was 7 minutes left and there were still long 3rd downs to give up, bad penalties to take, and the referees realizing that the Jets might actually spoil Taylor Swift night still to come.

All kidding aside the defense had a ton of opps to get the Chiefs off the field, and then hold them to 3 in order to get the Jets a chance - and the Jets never saw the ball again. I mean, the Chiefs recovered the fumble in Jets territory with 7 and a half minutes left and managed to kill the clock when the Jets had 3 timeouts left. Ridiculous.

8. bicketybam

Thank you.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I was shocked watching ZW operate at a high level and completely looking the part of an NFL QB. The game looked like it slowed down for him in real time last night. IF he can continue to stack good games, not just drives/quarters, together the rest of the season and then sit behind AR next year, we may have something in ZW. Not predicting, hoping...

NCJetsfan, DrM and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Zach looked like a different player, but I want to keep seeing that. We've seen one good game from Zach before. We need more than one game.

However. He almost looked like he was playing with a chip instead of just happy to be there. Maybe more stuff like that numbnuts Rodney Harrison will help fuel it.

KY Jets Fan, HomeoftheJets and DrM like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He also got rid of the headband so looks a lot less douchey. Not kidding but I like that. It felt like humble Zach was out there.

#91 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

What's always fascinating to me, is how much fans often ignore coaching/scheming, when judging a player.
    I keep seeing stuff today about the safety turning things around.
    Or Zach only played well for a couple of quarters, yesterday.
    The fact is, the CS took off the handcuffs when they were down big.
    That's when they started moving the pocket, letting Zach use his athleticism.
    And once they tied the game, they reverted, & all the movement stopped.

Yes, Zach needs to build consistency, but the CS needs to be scheme smart & aggressive in order for Zach to succeed.
    And I'm more worried about the CS reverting to 'don't make mistakes' mode, in Denver, than whether Zach can continue taking steps forward.

One thing Zach said in his post-game presser, which really struck me, was him mentioning great QBs do the little things.
    While the CS is focused on limiting mistakes, Zach's eyes seem to be on becoming a great QB.
    That's a telling comment, & it shows me his head has clicked into a very positive place.
    Whether the CS will feed his hunger to be great, THAT to me is the big question.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the ignore feature. Seriously. Or i d be calling people names.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Not bad 3yrs , and finally a game he played well in, only in Jets land do we lose a game, and win a Superbowl :( When this becomes consistent play from Wilson, and we win games, then I will believe
    Even Browning Nagle had a good game, against the Falcons, Glen Foley against the miners.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  15. bicketybam

I'm watching the game now. Picked it up from the first quarter when they were down 17-0. First drive at that point was derailed by the flea flicker. Lazard was open but Zach had about 1/2 a second to throw it. Can't blame him for that one.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. bicketybam

That facemask on Huff was basically a hold. If that doesn't happen Huff smashes Kermit in the end zone.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. bicketybam

Wow, Conklin almost made a great catch. Great escapability by Zach on that play.

And now Ashtyn Davis with the pick! Guy has a nose for the ball

Oof he just missed G. Wilson in the ez. Just needed a little more air. But they scored a TD on the drive anyway. Beautiful throw to C.J. Great play fake.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. bicketybam

I think we can bury the notion that Zach can't throw a screen pass. I've seen enough through the first 4 games to say it's not an issue.

Second drive before the half derailed by a horrendous drop by MCII.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. bicketybam

So did Wilson lose the game with that fumble?

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean technically yes but the fact that KC held the ball for the final 7.5 mins and the refs did anything they could to stop the jets from getting another shot sucked.
    zach looked very upset on the sidelines. they showed him with about 46 seconds left talking to morestead and if you read his lips he said "I lost us the game, it's on me bro"

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.