Jets Bringing in Trevor Siemian

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 26, 2023.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He is literally on par with Mike White. If we get that play from him for 13 games, they should be playing meaningful football until December/January. The schedule out of the bye week is a joke. You may only need 20 points to win a majority of those games. Also FWIW, a lot of people here thought if MW played all 17 last year, we make the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins. I don't really see Siemian as a downgrade or upgrade from MW.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yep... and the more you look at this mess the more we should start to question just what the point of having Wilson and Boyle on this roster is/was?

As soon as you have to rely on them you have to go get Trevor Siemien (or somebody like him).... why wasn't he, Mike White, Andy Dalton etc already on the team and up to speed for when the crisis came? We all just sat here the last few years and watched Mike White save the Jets bacon multiple times. And somehow we decided this offseason that we obviously don't need him anymore?

Of all the stuff to criticize....

You had a 39 year old QB (albeit admittedly something of an ironman historically) with no backup plan. I guess you could hope that Zach Wilson was suddenly going to take big steps forward but hope is not a plan. If you really hoped that Zach should have been your #3 guy and a real backup plan should have been here from the get go.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree a lot .

-For one thing Siemien is older. Mike White in 3 or 4 years will be a worse QB than he is today.
    -Secondly Siemien lacks the arm strength to make tight window throws. I think that is a particularly poor fit here as the Jets WRs, Garrett Wilson aside, are not good at getting separation. So he is going to be forced to make tight window throws.

-Lastly, the lack of familiarity, White was a home grown backup. He played with these guys for multiple years, he was able to develop a rapport

expecting Siemien to perform like Mike White last year is setting yourself up for disappointment. And Mike White didn't exactly light the league up anyway so that's saying something about what we can expect from Siemien

4. dawinner127

Right because Mike White has such a good arm:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I also never said he was better than Mike White. They are in the same group of backup players is all I'm saying. Anywhere in that 40-50 range. Not really sure how you can disagree a lot with that take. That would mean you think Siemian is like the 60th best QB in the league or you think Mike White is closer to the 30th best QB in the league. Mike White stinks. I've said that a bunch of times on this board.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t agree or disagree but quarterbacks don’t age out like most positions unless there’s a steep physical decline that they relied on. I don’t think Semien’s arm has gotten better or worse nor do I think White’s will. Age usually helps QB’s actually especially if they’re not runners.

We finally got our Trevor though. Might as well play him.

Acad23 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

Well White’s arm is better than Siemien' s thats for sure.

the Jets also had recievers last year that were better at getting separation. Elijah Moore had issues but the kid could get open, He still does in Cleveland. Randall Cobb his replacement isn't running by anyone. I also think Corey Davis was better at getting separation than Lazard.

Idk about the whole "range" thing you are talking about it kinda doesn't make any sense to me.

I'll just say that Mike White, whom I acknowledged had issues, certainly wasnt the worst starting QB in the league. Trevor Siemien I think could and will be.

7. BrowningNagle

He looked really washed up in preseason

8. dawinner127

In order to get the stats for separation you need to run 50 routes so I can't get Cobb this year, but Lazard is averaging more yards of separation than GW this year.

Lazard is averaging more yards of separation this year than Corey Davis had last year.

Elijah Moore is better than all of them -- GW included.

I don't really think your separation comments are doing what you want them to, but whatever.

TheAustrian likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

100%. And btw, I think Zach will agree with you also if he is being honest. I don't think he wants to go out there. He is mentally shot again, exactly like he was last year. Why torture the kid, lose locker room and hurt the team in the process? It's Jacksonville all over again. Try something different. Boyle has a very small sample size as a player. He actually ended up having a solid preseason, unlike Siemian. And you picked the guy to be on your PS. Give hive him a chance, when it is clear Zach is shot.

If it were up to me, I am giving all 1st team practice reps to Boyle, and starting him. And I am OK if Saleh tells everyone Zach is #1 to mislead KC. But Boyle has to start. And I am not saying he will be good, he will probably end up throwing some picks and then they will give Siemian a chance. But right now Boyle gives a better chance to win than Zach.

Pepsiguy5, Cman68 and dawinner127 like this.
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

2021-2022 stats

Siemian 123/214 (57.55%) 1,338yds 12TD 4INT
    White 191/307 (62.8%) 2,145yds 8TD 12INT

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

THIS!

Can someone explain to me how it took this FO TWO WEEKS to bring in Trevor F’n Semien? Anyone? Ole’ J.D. musta turned over every rock and bush to pull this guy out his backside. Unreal.

This is WORSE than the same ole’ jets. At least the Same Ole’ Jets would be competitive then and only THEN would our hearts be ripped out as we pissed away a big lead or a tight game. No, now we already KNOW we go in with one arm tied behind our backs.

12. dawinner127

So they’re in the same tier of backup QB.. shocking

bicketybam likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Very small recent sample size. I am concerned Siemian could not earn a PS spot on the Bengals. I watched the highlights of the Bengals against Packers in preseason. This does not give a full picture I am afraid, as they only show critical throws. The pick was a tipped ball. He missed a few critical throws with open receivers - ball placement was crap. I also thought last year when he played against the Jets he had one good drive and then was finished (while White on the same day balled out).

I honestly am not sure if Siemian now is better than White or more importantly even Boyle. I suspect he is worse than White and similar to Boyle. Which is why I think we will end up eventually starting both of them. Hopefully starting with Boyle this Sunday.

ouchy and TheAustrian like this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We are begging to be awful with this signing

Acad23 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Me. And I'm not writing this to toot my own horn, but to answer a question by a fellow poster.

1. I thought bringing Rodgers here would put the Jets in the spotlight and relive the adverse media frenzy that occurred when Favre, and to a lesser degree Tebow, was here.
    2. It would mean abandoning the build from scratch that the FO said it was trying to do.
    3. However, if the Jets do sign him, I said I wouldn't mind reliving the part of the Favre experience where the Jets were winners.

I was right on 1 & 2, wrong on 3.

Later on, after TC, I expressed concern about the quality of our backups given we are trotting out a 39+ year old to play QB.

Right on that one.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nothing is ever I told you so with me. I couldn't care less about that. I'm also rooting for Zach Wilson because he's what we've got. I mean, I was theoretically OK and also somewhat concretely OK with Wilson earning his chance (by default) back, but instead of hand-cuffing him in his crappiness, let him have at it. The Jets are more than likely to lose, anyway, but not through lack of trying. Instead the coaching staff is hitching the rest of the team to a bad wagon. This is like Herm ball all over again.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

At this point it wouldn't be fair to start Zach on Sunday. The fan base is raging against him. If he breaks bad, excuse me, when he breaks bad, he is going to get hammered with boos on national TV. Even though a lot of the booing will be about the overall management of the team, Zach will be the target. I know it, you know it, he knows it.

Boyle should be starting. Its almost cruel and unusual punishment to start Zach against KC at home on national television.

Acad23, Borat and westiedog1 like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I had Aaron Rosgers going down and out/GFTS by game 4, not in 4 plays and 75 seconds. That is so Jets you can't script it. I gotta tell ya, I laughed when it happened, and not because I thought it was FUNNY funny. More like the cackle of the insane.

I also thought any thought of a SB was this side of silly because it stood to reason that at some point Mr. Flake was going to get clobbered. He half-clobbered himself by way of the iniform he was wearing. That was not a horric hit.

Ralebird and westiedog1 like this.
  19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

while I would like to give Boyle a shot, I don’t think you put him to start vs KC. He s probably better off coming in later or start vs Denver.
    Count me in as one of the folks that don’t think Trevor is any better than Boyle.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, it would not be unusual. More like annual: see Jags game last year. But I completely agree. It's a disservice to everyone, including and mostly to Zach, to start him on Sunday.

ouchy likes this.